Harley Sportster S Dyno numbers!

mark.lb

Hot off the presses! I just saw this post on a Harley Forum. These are the first Dyno numbers I have seen for the new Sportster S. Numbers are very similar to a stock FTR.
A199502A-CF47-4CD9-9C7B-63E8912FCC5B.jpegCBFAF889-6944-40A9-BF79-BCFE6EE38633.jpeg

Last edited:

mark.lb

I’m building a Scout.
I want it to produce more power and torque than the Sportster S. I need to know what the Sportster S actually makes at the rear wheel. Now I know.

kiwi dave

I owned the first of the Harley 1200 Sportsters when it first became available. I was turning 40 and felt very old and wanted a faster Harley than the 883 that was available. Purchased it in L.A. and got sent sight unseen to me in Auckland, NZ.

I owned it for nine years, but one ride on a Guzzi made me switch! A bike that actually talked back to me!

Breto

Can’t make a silk purse Out of a pigs ear mate…no matter how much cash you throw at it…🤢🤮

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Time to install a revolution big bore kit and cams on your scout to get better numbers than the sportster!

mark.lb

You never know - If I can get it to start and run on the stock ECU map - I might just stay with it!! or I’ll let Pitt Cycles and Lloydz figure it out!

Staedtler

With all of that work and expense with new cylinders, pistons and cams etc, you would not be getting the most out of it without getting it mapped. It's essential in my book.

mark.lb

Staedtler: Of course it will be professionally tuned.
The plan now is for Mike at Pitt Cycles and Ryan at Lloydz to use computers to do real time ECU mapping once a base tune gets the engine running. Mike will run/ride the bike then send the data to Ryan who will develop a ECU map. The process will be repeated until they are satisfied. The custom tune for this Scout will then be stored on a PV3 and the bike will be Dyno tested to confirm the results.

As for my snarky comment: {This is an old running discussion thread that often got heated on this forum. My 2019 FTR has not been “tuned” with a aftermarket ECU map. I never had the cold start/stalls or low rpm surging issues that plagued many of the early 2019 FTR’s when the bikes first became available. I now have 8,500 miles on the clock and it runs very well with the original factory ECU map. (I know it could always be better.) Many on this forum quickly turned to Fuel Moto or Lloyds of Charlotte and a PV3 to correct the shortcomings of the factory tune.}

FTR London

Staedtler: Of course it will be professionally tuned.
The plan now is for Mike at Pitt Cycles and Ryan at Lloydz to use computers to do real time ECU mapping once a base tune gets the engine running. Mike will run/ride the bike then send the data to Ryan who will develop a ECU map. The process will be repeated until they are satisfied. The custom tune for this Scout will then be stored on a PV3 and the bike will be Dyno tested to confirm the results.

As for my snarky comment: {This is an old running discussion thread that often got heated on this forum. My 2019 FTR has not been “tuned” with a aftermarket ECU map. I never had the cold start/stalls or low rpm surging issues that plagued many of the early 2019 FTR’s when the bikes first became available. I now have 8,500 miles on the clock and it runs very well with the original factory ECU map. (I know it could always be better.) Many on this forum quickly turned to Fuel Moto or Lloyds of Charlotte and a PV3 to correct the shortcomings of the factory tune.}
Mine is a 2020 FTR which was afflicted by cold start, cut out and throttle issues. The unholy trinity. The engine cut out at closed throttle/low rpm has been eliminated and Mike (Ferraiolo) is correct, that disabling the rider aids makes a marked difference to the rest. There's certainly more to explore, but aside from the cut out (which was potentially life threatening and needed to be sorted) , I pretty much accept the bike as I find it now, which is as God, or rather, Beelzebub, intended it to be.