Heel Shifter help

MKraus

Hello all,

My first post here. I love the Indian line of bikes after riding HD for almost 30 years. I made the switch trading in 2 of my Harley for a 2020 Indian Roadmaster. I have a problem and I am hoping to get some help.

I love the look and specs on the FTR 1200 and am very interested in buying one soon but there is one issue that is a must for me.

I was in an accident a while back where is was trapped under a side by side for 12 hours in the desert before being found. My left leg was trapped and compressed the entire time. I used to be a combat medic in the army so did some measures to try and save the leg. I did save the leg but half the muscle tissue was removed due to compartment syndrome. Compression of the leg squeezed the blood out of my muscles and caused the muscle to die and need to be removed.

The issues is I now have drop foot. I can’t lift my toe to upshift. Any bike I buy has to have a way to shift up using a heel shifter. I have been looking for a heel shift for the Ftr 1200 but don’t see any options. Anyone ever heard of a heel shifter for the FTR?

I have seen electronic shifters on the handlebars on other bikes but they come with a huge price tag. Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I can’t buy the FTR.
Thanks!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
you could have something welded to the back of the stock shifter. But the ftr isn’t something where people would add them.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Actually looking at it, you won’t be able to add one, at least without modifying the entire rearset, the frame is in the way. There are guys running air shifters on them though

Attachments

• IMG_8119.jpeg
    IMG_8119.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

MacBayne

You would need some reasonably precise fabrication skills to make a heel shifter. I would bet a dollar that you won't find a commercially available one, either.
FTRs are sport bikes. I would highly recommend you actually get on one and see if the peg location is even possible for you.