Hello from Midwest US

Hi, I love my 2019 FTR replica S but I don't post much cuz I'm a bit bad at the whole on spectrum versus people thing. Hope ya'll are doing well nice to meet ya. No empathy plz, just warning people I'm not intentionally abrasive, ty!

My other motorcycles currently are 2016 1290SA, 22 401 vitpilen, EFI Ural Gearup Sidecar (this one is fun, fastest motorcycle in reverse in the world! lol) If my business does well this year I'll be adding a 719 next in top trim.

I've been riding for 20 years for what its worth, about 10k a year currently on the FTR plus the other bikes do some camping and coffee trips here n there. "Mid life retirement" has afforded me the ability to just kind of piss off whenever I want so I ride as much as my body can handle while the getting is good.

My dream is to ride the Ural all the way to Alaska and back in a few months time. I'll probably do this next year but I dunno, hard to say cuz I'm always picking up new hobbies or helping people around town it seems. I'm headed to King of the Baggers in WI jun 1-5 2023 if anyone wants to join me and a couple riding buddies. We are also riding the Blue Ridge tentatively this year and the T.W.A.T (yes rly that's the name sry), 600 mile BDR this year tentatively. If anyone wants to join you're welcome to join us.

I trailer the bikes or tour them, whatever works for others depending so I'm pretty open to varying needs on our trips. I'm also pretty handy with a wrench and have a strong passion for machines more so than folks, just the way I'm built I suppose. I'm not a mechanic because everything has to be done right, I'd go broke wrenching for profit. I fix a lot of vehicles around town through networking for cheap to nothing for past 20 years. I also build technical gear out of newest textiles, mainly ultralight outdoorsy stuff for small communities of enthusiasts and friends (outfitter is the word), as well as am learning to build saddles and bags now.

I hope to make better bags for the FTR this summer and hopefully offer a service to the FTR community with my knowledge of textiles, function, and form. It deeply saddens me there's no bags that suit the lines of the FTR AND can take an average joe's $350 walmart camping setup into the great outdoors. Even packing my 10L 5lb $2000+ gear setup in the OEM Indian bag is very much a chore with barely enough room left a couple days of whole foods. Don't even get me started on the ugly ass racks left on the bike w/no quick release options or internally framed bags to match up.... big big sad. Hope to help with this for a few outdoorsy types around here.

If you ever see me on the Ural, stop and say hello. You'll be shocked to find out there is a small cafe in the trunk with a hot fresh cup of expresso rdy for you in less time than people bug me about such a weird bike! (We call it the Ural Time Delay or Ural Lag) so I started offering free expresso coffee and tea because you can't stop for gas in less than 10-15 minutes on a Ural due to random strangers interest.

Last edited:

Charliemurphay

Welcome from MN. I want a Ural to be my next bike. I have a 2019 FTR currently (my main squeeze) and last fall got a 2023 Ducati Desert Sled (my best friend got a matching one, it’s my mess around in the dirt bike). Hoping to pick up a Ural in a couple years.