Hello from Upstate NY

Webby

Just pokin around thinkin about getting a new(er) bike...doing my research..
Since you joined this forum would you say the FTR is in the running or have you joined dozens of bike forums? What other bikes are you considering?

I had not even considered the FTR but there was a stealership next to a Honda shop and I tripped in and found it the next bike for me.

nymotodaddy

I am looking at a few completely different bikes...moto guzzi tt85, ftr and yamaha mt09 sp..really having a hard time deciding which direction to go, but probably not going to pull the trigger till next year

Walrus

While I love Guzzis and even visited the factory during Moto Guzzi Week - Italy's Daytona Bike Weekish - I would avoid the brand based on economics alone. Not much demand, not much resale though initial cost can be low. Ancient technology and personally not delighted to have cylinder heads in front of my knees. Painful accident waiting to happen.
Haven't ridden an MT09 but will assume it's bland regardless of any excellence.
FTR is a unique motorcycle. Has panache and performance. Relatively inexpensive. I'm very impressed with mine.

Webby

I recently sold a Breva and they beat down my door to get at it and got well over book for it so not sure I agree with avoiding it on resale. Guzzi is a wonky moto but you gotta own one once in your life I say. I would not go MT09 (as Walrus said it's bland) but rather MT10 as it's a better motor package and closer to the 1200 FTR. You should look at the BMW R9T too as like the Guzzi. Every rider should have owned a boxer somewhere along their life.

nymotodaddy

I'm liking the guzzi more and more as research progresses. Too many BMW horror stories for me, but if I went that route, it would be a R1200R for sure. I'm struggling with the FTR's exhaust...surely an objective issue but an issue nontheless. The Yami is just a different option that keeps popping up..the triple appeals to me..can't see how that bike would be boring...but the looks are hard to get past. The search continues..

Walrus

@ Webby: I defer to Moto Guzzi owner with real world experience.
@ NYdaddy: The Toce exhaust and a chip upgrade makes FTR a different and wonderful beast. It is unlike any motocycle I've owned in 55 years of riding. I highly recommend. Have Triumph 765 Moto 2 in race stable. Triple is nice. Has grunt of twin and high revs of inline 4. That said, I picked the FTR over the Yamaha for many reasons - including it being American made (with overseas parts).