JonsMotoGarage YouTube demo ride and review of FTR1200 S Race Replica

Unruly Rider

I subscribed to Jon's channel a couple of years ago for his Dyna wheelie content and Suzuki DRZ-400SM video's. He started doing some reviews and test rides awhile back, he recently uploaded this video on the FTR1200 S RR.

D

Deleted member 192

Wonder what that was about? I was waiting for some big warning. He seemed to be happy about it.

Unruly Rider

Wonder what that was about? I was waiting for some big warning. He seemed to be happy about it.
He titled a few of his video's "Watch before you buy"... which is a bit click-bait. It's something a lot of YouTuber's have done for views/revenue, people click and watch expecting to hear something bad - they sit through the whole video which nets a larger profit. Would have been a better title had he mentioned the stalling issue caused by the crappy factory mapping.

SURLY

He titled a few of his video's "Watch before you buy"... which is a bit click-bait. It's something a lot of YouTuber's have done for views/revenue, people click and watch expecting to hear something bad - they sit through the whole video which nets a larger profit. Would have been a better title had he mentioned the stalling issue caused by the crappy factory mapping.
Is,nt that the truth(y)

SURLY

I forgot how bad the baffled stock exhaust sounded, can hear more intake than anything.
[/QUOBought the RR cause it came with Akros as stock look great but are a bit over silenced and even with the baffles removed as shown here they are still a bit to hushed up :sleep:

D

Deleted member 192

Mine died at 2 stop lights today. Figure the first part to reach failure will be the starter!

SURLY

Mine died at 2 stop lights today. Figure the first part to reach failure will be the starter!
The stalling shit seems to improve as the miles go on my service manager said that when he sent a tech to Indian Poland thats there europe head quarters for training on the FTR engine he was told they are built really tight so maybe stalling improves as the engine frees off he was also told the first 100 miles on these engines is crucial.
Mine pissed me off so much I choked up £430 for the PV3 which improved it a lot in fact the engine ran so much better in general I thought it was money well spent.
Valid point about the starter maybe thats why you only get a 2 year warranty unlike the big Indians which get 5 years.(n)

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Because they are covering for the people who employ them. These are the same people who told me there were no valve checks, and a gps program was going to be released.

it does get better over time since the ecu is learning, but its not because of tolerances loosening up. How ever it still cold stalls even after a lot of miles in stock form.

D

Deleted member 192

Mine is now over 1800 on the clock. Stalls. Pisses me off. Starter works AWESOME!!

Max Kool

That came straight from the Indian people why would they bullshit us.
You have done a fair few miles on yours does it feel like its freed off at all or no difference?
Yeah, that's bs. If a new engine is "tight", so "tight" it has a hard time idling, does that mean it's about to seize up? 🤷‍♂️

My engine ran crap-ish when I got it (stalling on a cold engine, twitchy on/off throttle and annoying surging on a steady throttle at 3-4k rpm). It never got better until I flashed it with a tune at 250miles. Which transformed the bike instantly. Buttery smooth as if it was "loose" suddenly....

Sullaha

Big twin cylinder bikes do loosen up from my experience but even old school bikes with carburetors didn't flame out and surge etc.
The loosening takes a fair distance (minimum 10,000km) and a rider who uses all the rev range, I remember when we sold VTR1000Fs running in brand new demos and then jumping on customers bikes with some miles on them there was a noticeable difference in the way the older bikes would rev. One particular bike with over 50K was awesome, the guy had just serviced it and trashed it, it was rattly, loose, and revved like a bastard!
In terms of the FTR engine being built "tight", the only people who can really answer that are the Polaris engineers and possibly the engine assembly workers, anyone further down the chain is just speculating unless they pull it apart and measure it.

SURLY

Because they are covering for the people who employ them. These are the same people who told me there were no valve checks, and a gps program was going to be released.

it does get better over time since the ecu is learning, but its not because of tolerances loosening up. How ever it still cold stalls even after a lot of miles in stock form.
Service manager told me the valve gaps are adjusted by changing the bucket not shimmed and buckets cost £25 each :cry:

SURLY

that is correct. here you can see all the sizes listed.

Thanks for that info really impressed by how Indian put all this online never known this before.
And on the upside bucket and shim valves rarely need adjusting (just as well at £25 a go) so buckets should be the same.
Back in 2000 I bought a 1200 Trophy that I covered 31000 miles on it needed one exhaust shim changed, and I have heard of Pan euros and VFR 800s hitting 100,000 without a change.
Let,s hope. :)