New Adaptive Headlight from Indian

Charliemurphay

I'm kinda digging this feature. Spendy, but nice feature to have. Any reason this wouldn't work on an FTR even though it's listed for Scout?

kiwi dave

Yeah, it's possible, but not a biggie to sort out. Unlikely though, these things are designed to be a direct replacement. We shall see.....

Staedtler

Just interested to know, does it have it's own on-board IMU to operate the cornering function, or does it need a signal from the ECU on the bike?

kiwi dave

Dunno, you're speaking a language I don't understand. I doubt it, I don't know of any headlight that can provide a "cornering function". Would you care to elaborate?

Staedtler

This 'adaptive' headlight illiminuates the lower lh and rh leds to shine down on the inside of the bend depending on whether its a lh or rh bend. My question is how the headlight knows it's going round a lh or rh bend.
A bike's cornering abs/traction control is controled or sensed by the Inertia Measurement Unit or IMU, I think it's like a gyroscope type device.
I was wondering if this adaptive lighting function was sensed by the headlight, or if it took a signal off the bike's imu.

kiwi dave

I'm looking forward to experiencing this for myself. I had no idea it had these features when I purchased it. A win-win in sheer ignorance!

kiwi dave

Log on to AliExpress and do a search for 5.75INCH LED DRL Headlight Replacement. There's several designs to chose from.

I'm happy with my choice.

kiwi dave

I'm buying this to fit on my Chief. If there's an issue with connectors I'll make an adapter or replace the plug.

kiwi dave

Found what I have ordered. No fancy LED's turning off or on depending on the angle of the bike to the ground, just a plain simple LED headlight. The existing incandescent one is a bit pathetic, so I'm hoping for much better illumination.

If I later decide I would like these extra features, I can always buy the one with the bells & whistles.

Attachments

• AliExpress 5.75INCH LED DRL Headlight Replacement.JPG
    AliExpress 5.75INCH LED DRL Headlight Replacement.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 20
D

Deleted member 706

Joseph Lucas, the King of Darkness is spinning in his grave.

kiwi dave

I didn't know he got to be king. He was always the "Prince of Darkness" when I was riding Triumph motorcycles (the factory was still in Meriden).

1636500552998.jpeg

Yes, I had lotsa hair back then. Where has it all gone?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 706

'71 T150 eh Dave?

I think that the lower grades of head get hair on them...

X75 Hawkesbury 1979.jpg

kiwi dave

And yours is a T160 with the BSA motor (they were both manufactured in the BSA factory, I forgot only the Bonnevilles and Daytonas were manufactured in Meriden).

A beautiful bike in it's day, far too much money for my wallet back then.

D

Deleted member 706

It's the X-75 Hurricane, designed by Craig Vetter for BSA and finally marketed by Triumph.
Recently I spent a chunk of my superannuation on another one! My first one was thrashed and crashed, rebuilt and sold... for a profit. The second one is from Sydney via Tennessee. It is a very tidy low mileage bike and is in the WA Motor Museum.
Now back to headlights and the Prince...
IMG_20210225_143245.jpg