New Alberta Member (maybe?)

Dirt Nasty

Hey everyone! I've been glued to youtube/google/forums on both the FTR and KTM SDR for the past few months. I'm selling my 2019 Street bob to make a change while i wait through thsi winter in Alberta.

Unsure which direction to go as there are pros/cons and preferences factoring in. Nothing matches the stylings of the FTR, and i trust the 123 HP will blow me away coming from the streetbob. But have some reservations (value, fuel mapping, tires, fuel range, battery issues) before pulling the trigger. I'm here to collect information and insights from current owners and riders. This forum seems to be picking up steam, so here i am.

Dirt

Max Kool

Totally biased, but I think the SDR is ugly af. Looks way too agressive and pretentious imho (and yes, I wanted one too)

Good luck making your choice!

Murdock

Welcome ! :)

The SD was also on my list and might be the "better" bike. But me too find it ugly and there are already enough of them on the streets ;-). The FTR is something special, that's what I like.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies! :cool:

Neverstockjp

Hey everyone! I've been glued to youtube/google/forums on both the FTR and KTM SDR for the past few months. I'm selling my 2019 Street bob to make a change while i wait through thsi winter in Alberta.

Unsure which direction to go as there are pros/cons and preferences factoring in. Nothing matches the stylings of the FTR, and i trust the 123 HP will blow me away coming from the streetbob. But have some reservations (value, fuel mapping, tires, fuel range, battery issues) before pulling the trigger. I'm here to collect information and insights from current owners and riders. This forum seems to be picking up steam, so here i am.

Dirt
Hi Dirt Nasty
im from Fort Mcmuray and I sold my '16 street bob all done up at end of the summer went to to Edmonton to test drive the FTR1200s and man what a bike nothing compare to the SB, so much power ! good sitting position, handle like a charm, suspension front and back is #1 and Brembo brakes makes you stop right away and not to mention the 4.3" speedometer that you can sync phone with. im waiting on the 2020 to come out to get one, day and night id you compare FTR and SB. good luck making a decision on your next bike. JP

Blue1

I love my FTR, but don't believe the suspension is particularly good. Typical mediocre OEM.

The fork doesn't have enough rebound to do anything when preload is dialed up. I am waiting for a Gold Valve from Race Tech next year or might go to 15W fork oil.

The rear shock has waaaay to much compression damping, making the ride brutal. This will be corrected with an aftermarket shock this coming season.

Even with those shortcomings (which every new bike has, frankly), the FTR is a blast to ride.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
There seems to be a few people with those complaints. Im wondering if there was an issue with assembly on certain shocks/forks. As one click on any of my settings makes a large difference.

And others say they can turn it one way or the other and feel no difference.

Dirt Nasty

Hi Dirt Nasty
im from Fort Mcmuray and I sold my '16 street bob all done up at end of the summer went to to Edmonton to test drive the FTR1200s and man what a bike nothing compare to the SB, so much power ! good sitting position, handle like a charm, suspension front and back is #1 and Brembo brakes makes you stop right away and not to mention the 4.3" speedometer that you can sync phone with. im waiting on the 2020 to come out to get one, day and night id you compare FTR and SB. good luck making a decision on your next bike. JP

Was that at Cycleworks? I saw they had their demo model on for $17K right now. I dont think there are any bike updates happening in 2020, but i'm wondering when some of these dealerships are going to drop the price of the 19's to clear them out...as i haven't seen anything yet. Where as i saw a brand new 2019 KTM SDR for $17K already.

Neverstockjp

Was that at Cycleworks? I saw they had their demo model on for $17K right now. I dont think there are any bike updates happening in 2020, but i'm wondering when some of these dealerships are going to drop the price of the 19's to clear them out...as i haven't seen anything yet. Where as i saw a brand new 2019 KTM SDR for $17K already.
Yes it was cycle works

K9F

If you can afford it keep the Streetbob, in comparison to the FTR they are poles apart and if you are like others one bike just can't quite tick all your boxes?