New FTR R Carbon 2022 Questions

FTR London

What tyres did you change too? What's better about them? would they be valid for the 2022?
I was discussing this on another thread the other week. Breto is absolutely right about the Pirellis. I have ridden Rosso Diablo IIIs, run Corsas on my R1 and Super Corsas (on the track). I also currently have Conti Road Attack IIIs fitted on my 2019 FTR but despite great response, feel and handling, detest the look which I don't think is keeping with what is ostensibly supposed to be a flat track motorcycle. Because of the limitations of the DT3s which have been well covered on here I want to fit a stickier performance on/off tyre with a dirt track look. A set of corsa compound MT60 RS would be straight on there in a nanosecond but they don't cater for the 18/19 combination. As Breto also said, with 17/17 unlike me, you have a range of options. Something to consider? I have done trackdays with a guy that has them fitted to a 1100 Ducati Scrambler and he almost annihilated a pair of sliders in two sessions. They are also more durable on the road than you would think. Great looking tyres too - and perfect for the FTR imo.

M9Carbon22

I was discussing this on another thread the other week. Breto is absolutely right about the Pirellis. I have ridden Rosso Diablo IIIs, run Corsas on my R1 and Super Corsas (on the track). I also currently have Conti Road Attack IIIs fitted on my 2019 FTR but despite great response, feel and handling, detest the look which I don't think is keeping with what is ostensibly supposed to be a flat track motorcycle. Because of the limitations of the DT3s which have been well covered on here I want to fit a stickier performance on/off tyre with a dirt track look. A set of corsa compound MT60 RS would be straight on there in a nanosecond but they don't cater for the 18/19 combination. As Breto also said, with 17/17 unlike me, you have a range of options. Something to consider? I have done trackdays with a guy that has them fitted to a 1100 Ducati Scrambler and he almost annihilated a pair of sliders in two sessions. They are also more durable on the road than you would think. Great looking tyres too - and perfect for the FTR imo.
I don't own a car, so this bike is my everything bike. Not risking it on a track day or dirt. My main concerns are Canberra is a cold, wet and icy. So my tyre choice (post using up the Metzler set) will be based around that. From your name I would assume you can relate to cold and wet weather.

edgelett

I don't own a car, so this bike is my everything bike. Not risking it on a track day or dirt. My main concerns are Canberra is a cold, wet and icy. So my tyre choice (post using up the Metzler set) will be based around that. From your name I would assume you can relate to cold and wet weather.
I will be really keen to hear how the Metzelers last and how they are in the shitty Canberra winter.
you will have lots of tyre options to choose from which is great.
I have Bridgestone S21/S22 on my other bike (that has a 16 inch front and 17 inch rear) and they're a great tyre for the twisties, and actually get warm quickly and work well in wet conditions.
haven't ridden with them on icy roads though.

FTR London

Absolutely. I opt not to ride in the cold and the bike hibernates during the British winter...fair weather now, after many, many years of braving the elements and when I was younger, riding for a living. Needless to say, avoiding the wet is nigh on impossible in the UK whatever the season.

Sorry, to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that you do a track day, simply that the MT60 RS tyres are capable of that due to the compound. Nor was I intimating that you should ride off road. They're not about to set lap records but it's a very grippy tyre that in my opinion perfectly compliments the look and soul of the bike. They'd be on mine in a heartbeat if they catered for the 18/19 combination.

edgelett

3 - Temps on Dash relating to engine. What is the expected numbers in celsius? I briefly saw someone mention temps going down slightly as the bike gets broken in?

I rode in today cause it's not raining.
Air temp was 7 celsius when I left and got up to 9 by the time I arrived at work.
I paid close attention to the temp on the bike so I could answer this for you.
The hottest the bike got during the 25 min commute was about 80 celsius, it only got above that when I was stationary at the lights and the highest it got then was 88.
Keep in mind it was COLD today, and I also have no cat and a tune, which also helps with temps

Max Kool

The cooling system has a thermostat that opens around 80 C /175 F. The fan comes on around 95 C /204 F. Anything between these two is normal on a warm engine. I've never seen it over 207 F on a hot day.

M9Carbon22

I rode in today cause it's not raining.
Air temp was 7 celsius when I left and got up to 9 by the time I arrived at work.
I paid close attention to the temp on the bike so I could answer this for you.
The hottest the bike got during the 25 min commute was about 80 celsius, it only got above that when I was stationary at the lights and the highest it got then was 88.
Keep in mind it was COLD today, and I also have no cat and a tune, which also helps with temps
Interesting how different my numbers are to yours. I had a similar air temp. But my bike heated up to 70-80 with speed and was idling at 90+ at the lights. I'm going to keep watching over time and after first service to see if it changes. As I think I commented in another thread, your video with the Full Toce system has my eyes pretty fixed on the same for my 2022. So once I can get onto that I'll have a look again. I appreciate you going out of your way to check temps. Thank You!

edgelett

Interesting how different my numbers are to yours. I had a similar air temp. But my bike heated up to 70-80 with speed and was idling at 90+ at the lights. I'm going to keep watching over time and after first service to see if it changes. As I think I commented in another thread, your video with the Full Toce system has my eyes pretty fixed on the same for my 2022. So once I can get onto that I'll have a look again. I appreciate you going out of your way to check temps. Thank You!
No worries all good!
the tune and having no cat are the biggest reason for the temp difference.

Yep I love my Toce - just be aware though that because you have a 2022, tuning your bike is going to be a lot harder. I could just get a PV3 and have the tune file emailed to me. But you can't tune the 2022 using a PV3, only option is a bench flash of the ECU in the USA OR if you know of a really good tuner in Canberra or NSW that is familiar with the FTR, they might be able to tune for you. the only current tune for the 2022 with Toce that I know of is via Lloydz in the USA but that involves a bench flash of the ECU.

That doesn't mean they're the only ones who CAN tune it, just the only people with a garrunteed tune that works for that year bike and full system.
I'm sure that given the time, there will be engineers here in Aus that can sort your bike out.

M9Carbon22

Absolutely. I opt not to ride in the cold and the bike hibernates during the British winter...fair weather now, after many, many years of braving the elements and when I was younger, riding for a living. Needless to say, avoiding the wet is nigh on impossible in the UK whatever the season.

Sorry, to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that you do a track day, simply that the MT60 RS tyres are capable of that due to the compound. Nor was I intimating that you should ride off road. They're not about to set lap records but it's a very grippy tyre that in my opinion perfectly compliments the look and soul of the bike. They'd be on mine in a heartbeat if they catered for the 18/19 combination.
The MT60 RS' do look really cool! Definitely one to consider alongside the Dunlop Mutants that also go suggested. I plan to have this bike till I die so I will probably try both lol.

FTR London

The MT60 RS' do look really cool! Definitely one to consider alongside the Dunlop Mutants that also go suggested. I plan to have this bike till I die so I will probably try both lol.
I think they are far more suited the character of the bike - and I can vouch for their performance. I understand why people fit road/sports tourers (my FTR is shod with Continental Road Attack III - which along with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II are arguably the optimum tyres for the 2019 bike). Why not after all maximise the feel, the response and the handling? Well the MT60s won't be as responsive, but I would contend that they certainly maximise the look. If I want a sports bike I'll stick to the R1 or buy one instead of an Indian.

K9F

With a little irony perhaps? Spoke to Colin Moore of MSR today and apparently there have been inquiries from potential 2022 FTR purchasers if the 18/19 wheel combination is available on the 22s?

Charliemurphay

I’m not 100% sure but I think the S&S Tracker style high pipes would fit on the ‘22 as they are a full system that replaces both outlets off the heads so I see no reason why they wouldn’t fit. Look great and sound great but people don’t like the heat on the right leg and they do push the right leg out a bit (though it doesn’t bother me at all). Also there is a mild power loss as they are a true dual system so there is no advantageous scavenging effect like you get with a 2-1.

Jb87

I got 5k miles on my Metzelers. That's with a passenger about 60% of the time. I just switched them to the Michelin road 6's. It's about to be rain season here and I'm riding daily 2 hours.

nailbeater

You’ll get mixed answers to that question my man…for me I went for the Continental RA3’s. 120/70x19 front 160/60 x18 rear. And a set of fender drop brackets to drop your front guard so it looks that little bit more sexy. A few of us here have gone the RA3’s but there are other brands out there and many of the members have had success with other brands. I think there maybe a Tyre thread here somewhere man…so for me the main thing was handling, grip and the general production method of the RA3 that sold me…changed the bike totally and they make great track tyres…👍😎🇦🇺
I have a 2019 race replica. I put a 2022 rear rim on it With A Continental 190/55 Sport attack 4. I really love these tires. The 19" has a continental road attack 3 on it.

nailbeater

I have a 2019 race replica. I put a 2022 rear rim on it With A Continental 190/55 Sport attack 4. I really love these tires. The 19" has a continental road attack 3 on it.

Attachments

• 20220929_121959.jpg
    20220929_121959.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20221028_185301.jpg
    10.7 MB · Views: 9