New, soon to be FTR owner from Northants UK

Scrappy

Hi all, I'm not quite an FTR owner yet but will be in a few weeks when the money arrives. In the mean time I will be reading rather than contributing much, hoping to gain from the experience and knowledge in here. I currently have a Ducati Supersport, Moto Guzzi V7 and Triumph Bonneville, but the Bonneville will be sold to make room for an FTR.

My admiration of the FTR happened by accident really, last year I went to test ride what I thought would be my dream bike, a Norton Commando, however after riding it for about 2.5 hours I was left feeling disappointed and underwhelmed. The Norton dealership also is my local Indian dealer and immediately after they suggested I try the FTR Sport, so I did. Wow! what a revelation, I absolutely loved it, I found it intuitive and engaging to ride, comfortable, great handling, and the power delivery is addictive, I was grinning from ear to ear, plus its a fantastic looking bike too. After that I was already determined I was going to have to get an FTR, and I had another test ride about a week ago that confirmed this. So all being well in a few weeks I'll be purchasing an FTR R Carbon.

Last edited:

K1000

Site Supporter
Welcome from another soon-to-be owner! I'm in a similar situation like you, only I have already bought the bike and am awaiting delivery. 3 weeks and counting. But I am in a country where the market for an FTR is probably like 1.5 people, so it takes time. You are in the UK - I'm sure you will receive it in no time.

As internet forums go, I find this one really great. I have already learned a ton of useful stuff. Also fun stuff, e.g. in the thread "Where did you ride your FTR today" there are pictures of how people have modified their bikes, which will give you a million ideas.

Anyways, welcome and post a picture when you have the bike!

Last edited:

Scrappy

Welcome from another soon-to-be owner! I'm in a similar situation like you, only I have already bought the bike and am awaiting delivery. 3 weeks and counting. But I am in a country where the market for an FTR is probably like 1.5 people, so it takes time. You are in the UK - I'm sure you will receive it in no time.

As internet forums go, I found this one really great. I have already learned a ton of useful stuff. Also fun stuff, e.g. in the thread "Where did you ride your FTR today" there are pictures of how people have modified their bikes, which will give you a million ideas.

Anyways, welcome and post a picture when you have the bike!

You must be very excited, especially as your FTR sounds like it will be a rarity in your country. Which model FTR did you go for?

I'm just waiting for some cash to come in (6 weeks hopefully) then I've been told if a bike isn't available almost immediately one should be available within 2 weeks. I've already purchased parts/spares, some new and others nearly new, and waiting for delivery of a couple of more.

IMG_20240522_173315479.jpg

K1000

Site Supporter
You must be very excited, especially as your FTR sounds like it will be a rarity in your country. Which model FTR did you go for?

I'm just waiting for some cash to come in (6 weeks hopefully) then I've been told if a bike isn't available almost immediately one should be available within 2 weeks. I've already purchased parts/spares, some new and others nearly new, and waiting for delivery of a couple of more.

Wow, great acquisition! I like Akrapovič, had it on a Honda CB 1000 R where it did an excellent job smoothing out low revs. Also had it on one of my SuperDukes, although there the difference was less noticeable.

I went for the X 100% R Carbon. Was actually deciding between the regular Carbon and the Special Edition. I like the normal Carbon more - it's less flashy. This bike is enough of a people magnet as it is.
However, the difference between the regular Carbon and the 100% was EXACTLY the price of the Akrapovič, which I would have wanted anyway. So, a no-brainer - I get some extra pieces of carbon fibre and whatnot "for free".

Will you be leaving out the catalyst when you mount the Akra? This is a high mount, isn't it?

Last edited:

Scrappy

The 100% Carbon is a beautiful looking bike, and looks stunning in daylight. That's the model I test rode last week.

IMG_20240511_144026107_HDR.jpg

I really struggled to make up my mind which variant I wanted, but I've decided I'll get the black/red Carbon, and I'll put the high mount Akrapovic on it, I'm undecided about removing the cat or not.

1.jpg

K1000

Site Supporter
The 100% Carbon is a beautiful looking bike, and looks stunning in daylight. That's the model I test rode last week.

I really struggled to make up my mind which variant I wanted, but I've decided I'll get the black/red Carbon, and I'll put the high mount Akrapovic on it, I'm undecided about removing the cat or not.

Nice! I'm actually taken aback that they would use the Special Edition as a demo bike - it's usually the cheapest ones they use.

The one you chose is definitely my favourite, too. This colour plus the Akra is a winning combination, hands down.

See, the thing about the 100% is that the colour combination breaks one of the most beautiful things about the FTR: How the tubular frame visually "flows" into the swingarm. On every other model the frame and the swingarm are the same colour, which facilitates that flow. On the 100% one is white and the other one is black. It breaks the asthetics, somehow.
Oh, well. It is what it is. Who knows, maybe the thing will even appreciate with time. Although I am not buying it for that reason - I plan to use it as a regular bike.

One thing about the high mount: On this bike, the engineers have really gone out of their way to move all the weight down. They have even put the petrol tank under the seat and the battery low down.
Doesn't the high mount kind of work against that? Or is the effect negligible?

Last edited:

Scrappy

I don't really know about the weight difference of high vs low mount silencers, but I would expect the Akropovic are lighter than the standard exhaust, also I'll be removing the stock licence carrier which will save some weight.

edgelett

View attachment 8548
nice choice. Just an FYI, that isn't the 'carbon' it's the Sport. the Carbon comes with Akraprovic pipes.
I see you purchased a 2019 exhaust for yours - I assume that's cause you want to delete the cat.
Just be aware that the 2019 is a very different fit to the 2023 exhaust so you will have a bit of trouble with the rear header and may need to MAKE it fit.
it will also hang lower.

Scrappy

nice choice. Just an FYI, that isn't the 'carbon' it's the Sport. the Carbon comes with Akraprovic pipes.
I see you purchased a 2019 exhaust for yours - I assume that's cause you want to delete the cat.
Just be aware that the 2019 is a very different fit to the 2023 exhaust so you will have a bit of trouble with the rear header and may need to MAKE it fit.
it will also hang lower.

It is the new 2024 Carbon R (Ohlins front & rear, carbon etc) they no longer come with the Akrapovic, the only models that still come with the Akras as standard are the 100% Carbon and the RSD Super Hooligan.

Thanks for the information regarding the exhaust, I won't be using the headers or cat as I'll be retaining the originals. I brought the exhaust at a bargain price which apparently was taken off a bike when nearly new and came as a complete system, I'm only interested in the Akrapovic silencers which as I understand will fit all models from 2019-2024, and I brought the high mount kit new which I believe also fits all models from 2019-2024.

Edit: I see what you mean about the header pipes with the new models looking like they are a single welded piece including the cat, so making it difficult and more expensive if you wanted to de-cat.

1716416568210.png

Last edited:

K1000

Site Supporter
the Carbon R no longer comes with Akras but looks like this.

Yeah, that sucks. Just two years ago even the Sport would come with Akras.

I believe this is called "shrinkflation" - manufacturers remove features, but keep the same price tag. It's a hidden price inflation, like when a chocolate bar shrinks in size, but still costs the same.

BTW, those 28 000 AUD, that's almost exactly the same price as in most European countries - 17 000 EUR. Excluding crazy expensive countries such as Austria or the Nordic countries.

Last edited:

FTR London

My admiration of the FTR happened by accident really, last year I went to test ride what I thought would be my dream bike, a Norton Commando, however after riding it for about 2.5 hours I was left feeling disappointed and underwhelmed. The Norton dealership also is my local Indian dealer and immediately after they suggested I try the FTR Sport, so I did.
I'm guessing that since you are in Northamptonshire this was 'Motorcycle World'?

S2Davies

Hi all, I'm not quite an FTR owner yet but will be in a few weeks when the money arrives. In the mean time I will be reading rather than contributing much, hoping to gain from the experience and knowledge in here. I currently have a Ducati Supersport, Moto Guzzi V7 and Triumph Bonneville, but the Bonneville will be sold to make room for an FTR.

My admiration of the FTR happened by accident really, last year I went to test ride what I thought would be my dream bike, a Norton Commando, however after riding it for about 2.5 hours I was left feeling disappointed and underwhelmed. The Norton dealership also is my local Indian dealer and immediately after they suggested I try the FTR Sport, so I did. Wow! what a revelation, I absolutely loved it, I found it intuitive and engaging to ride, comfortable, great handling, and the power delivery is addictive, I was grinning from ear to ear, plus its a fantastic looking bike too. After that I was already determined I was going to have to get an FTR, and I had another test ride about a week ago that confirmed this. So all being well in a few weeks I'll be purchasing an FTR R Carbon.
Welcome from the top half of Northamptonshire :D

K1000

Site Supporter
Just as a curiosity, how many months per year on average can you ride, in your neck of the woods?
I've seen YouTube videos from the UK of people riding even in January.

Scrappy

Just as a curiosity, how many months per year on average can you ride, in your neck of the woods?
I've seen YouTube videos from the UK of people riding even in January.

I'm a bit of a fair weather rider, the last couple of years haven't been great, so much rain I was contemplating building an ark. However 2019 to 2021 were good and I was riding most of the year, even in the middle of winter.

This was 31st December 2019...

IMG_20191231_141547869.jpg

Peterson

View attachment 8547

View attachment 8548
Curious how you got this color on pic - in reality it is rather dark ...IMG_6581.jpeg