No life in my extra plug (hand warmers ) behind the headlamp.

Viking06

I'm installing heated grips, have plus and minus directly from the battery connected to a relay that I want being triggered when I start,
otherwise, I know that one day or the other, I'll forget to switch the heated grips off.

I checked if I have current in that plug behind the lamp but nothing and fuse is good.
Is there something I've missed or does it only deliver current when something consume ?

K9F

Voltage is what you should be looking for not current. If you are searching for current your multimeter needs to be connected in series and a load connected to the circuit. I think you'll find this supply is off the ignition. Start her up and see if you have voltage at the connector. In this case you'll not need a relay as long as the current draw of your grips does not exceed 5 amps.

Power (Wattage) = Voltage (In this case 12 Volts) multiplied by Current (Amps 5 Amp fuse for this circuit).

So in this case as long as your grips don't exceed 60 watts you should be ok?

Viking06

Yes voltage, it’s what I meant, I’m not as fluent in english than I am in french and swedish, sorry.
I want to keep this plug for my heated gloves, that’s why I want to use a relay for the heated grips, it often freezes in the morning in the Riviera outbacks 😉 and I’m riding all year long. If it snows I take my HVA 300 Or more honestly, I cancel all my patients and go skiing 😉😉

Viking06

You’re totally right : I’ll connect the heated grips to the existing plug and the heated glove directly to the battery since I’ll have to disconnect them when I stop.
Thanks for helping 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Viking06

Thanks everyone.
Does anyone know the name of this plug / connector ?
I tried to find it on the net but I was unsuccessful

Last edited:

Viking06

Great, I have 3 complete set of KTM blinkers , 2 for Husky TE 300 and one for a KTM Freeride.
I’ll dig ‘em up in my garage.
You’ve been really helpful guys, hope I can do the same for you one day.

K9F

......You’ve been really helpful guys, hope I can do the same for you one day.

As an electrical engineer for over 40 years I am only too willing to assist where I can. If I need any dentistry work whilst in your neck of the woods I'll give you a shout?

:cool:😁😇

Viking06

It's not a jet
As an electrical engineer for over 40 years I am only too willing to assist where I can. If I need any dentistry work whilst in your neck of the woods I'll give you a shout?

:cool:😁😇

No problem, just head on to the French Riviera, I'll be right there.

But the connector is still unknown, not a jst and not the other one either.
I think, I'll cut the wires and I'll weld something else type SAE.

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Connectors are cheap as chips just buy 16 gauge type, male and female and you'll be good to go. The ones below will be much better from a water ingress perspective (IP rating) than the SAE ones as they are waterproof. Don't forget to get the polarity right way round and best practice is to disconnect the battery before doing anything..

$7:99 knock yourself out. Solder and heatshrink the pigtails. You'll have four spare to practice on or use on other projects.

Amazon.com: HUIQIAODS 5Kit 2 Pin Way 16 AWG Car Waterproof Connector Plug Wire 1.5mm Series Terminal Connector-5 Pack (5 Kit 2 Pin): Automotive

Or buy the connectors and solder the cables to save you the expense of buying the specific crimp tool for the pins and sockets.

Amazon.com: MUYI 10 Kit 2 Pin Way Waterproof Electrical Connector 1.5mm Series Terminals Water Resistend: Automotive

:cool:

Last edited: