Oil filter change

fugz

Anybody done their own oil and filter change in the UK. Where did you get the kit from. Or is there an alternative?

Ultratoad

I can't see any reason not to use Indian's oil and filters (quality stuff).... BUT 108 Euros !!!! Ouch.... I got my last kit on Amazon for about $80 delivered.... AND I thought that was painful !!!!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You only need 3 quarts. You can reuse the copper gaskets. Just anneal them.

As for as the filter. It’s a generic filter. Take the Polaris part number and cross reference it to something available in your country.

Massimo

I'm a Motul fan, Motul has the 15w60 (300V) ! But if you look on the website and you put in : Indian FTR 1200 they recommend 10w60 type 7100 ! I think the 300V is not for streetbikes ! 4 liters 10w60 (7100) cost here 37 Euro and 1 liter 15w60 (Indian) 27 Euro (dealer) !! Oil filter 17 Euro ! Now I'm not a fan to change the first number of the oil 15W or 10W and therefor I choose the Indian Oil !

mark.lb

That would be enough oil to last the rest of the life of my bike at 3-1/2 quarts per change! The next thing we would be discussing on the forum is how long stored oil lasts before it has to be discarded!

cupcake_mike

That would be enough oil to last the rest of the life of my bike at 3-1/2 quarts per change! The next thing we would be discussing on the forum is how long stored oil lasts before it has to be discarded!

I'd probably also run it in my other high comp liquid cooled v-twin (thats calls for 20/50) so 5 gallons would last me about 6 oil changes/30k miles, or a year/year and half between the 2 bikes.

Between half a dozen or so bikes at any given time, lawnmowers, atvs, cars and trucks I go through a lot of oil. I take my old oil early every winter, to a buddy, who burns it to heat his shop. Usually 17-18 gallons, gets him about a month of heating??

Last edited:

K9F

For any UK owners using Indian parts.....I did buy four quarts and used only three of them.

Dropped the oil on the FTR today. Had done a couple of long haul and high speed trips since the last change and decided to change it primarily due to color. Polaris don't do the FTR oil change kits over here under a single part number/package as for some unknown reason they won't ship them to the UK dealerships. Not cheap, in fact the most expensive personal oil change I have ever done. Including the oil filter socket I bought (getting the old filter off with a strap wrench was no issue but didn't want to use it to tighten the new one up) it came out at $132 USD in your money. Used the free Workshop Manual that was being bandied about for the process.

Staedtler

3 quarts is the normal volume, mine took just under 3.5 quarts at first service, service guy reckoned that was outer limit, or maybe not measured quite so accurately.

Reactions: JDP

JDP

Can’t remember where I saw it but had to be Amazon or EBay they were selling a bag of the drain plug gasket washers for just a few bucks

fugz

Thought i'd get two filters and oil for two changes to save on postage. £170...Strewth. 7 quarts of genuine Indian oil and filters. Only used 3. Put the rest on the shelf for the next change.