Owners Manual.

SURLY

+1

18 bikes in 20 years? Not really surprising. I thought I was doing well with 6 but then again I do considerably more mileage and as a result get to know them better and their traits and foibles and how to adapt my riding style to overcome them perhaps rather than throwing money at it. I also become inevitably attached to them if they’re any good for what I need them to do.

I too am content with my FTR as it currently is. I had it decatted and a few bits ‘changed from the off‘ before delivery as I knew what I wanted doing. Whilst well acquainted with the potential benefits of booking dyno time and having it tuned it was and still is not a priority. It was booked in for yesterday but dealership closure meant it has been placed on the back burner once again. Mine too runs fine exactly as it is ‘warts ‘n’ all.’ If it were perfect it would be boring, I personally like to have to work at it a little whatever motorcycle I am riding otherwise I would have owned a BMW. Never have! Never will! Too well engineered.
Actually its a fair number more but I was only counting the injected ones my workaholic wife has made us quite well off and i do not smoke am a moderate drinker and have one holiday a year bikes are my one vice if I see one i like I try to resist but always fail I to love working on bikes and the FTR is really easy to work on everything is easy to get at even when I had no money I was always swopping one clunker for another my friends take bets on how long i will keep a bike I really envy people who have had bikes for along time the bike becomes something special to them I have managed that once with my Victory Hammer S had it for four years and would have it now had polaris not killed Victory I know they said they would make spares available just like Harley said about Buell and like snow white and the seven dwarfs that was a fairy tale to I have a 87 year old friend who has a Greeves 250 and a BSA Bantam he has owned since the mid 60s although I have ridden both and am not jealous biggest bike he has ever had was a 350 Triumph I gave him he rode my Crosstourer and was horrified at the power and said never again. I have owned three BMWs and yes they are well engineered but the finish on the FTR looks like it might be better.
Here,s my friends Bantam.

Attachments

• bantam.jpg
    bantam.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: K9F

K9F

The Bantam brings back fond memories. In 1976 when I was 15 a mate and I went 'halves' on a Bantam. We paid £30 for it and used it locally up the woods. We beasted that machine and it took it never letting us down. The model you posted above has been very well looked after. Thanks for the memories Surly.

SURLY

The Bantam brings back fond memories. In 1976 when I was 15 a mate and I went 'halves' on a Bantam. We paid £30 for it and used it locally up the woods. We beasted that machine and it took it never letting us down. The model you posted above has been very well looked after. Thanks for the memories Surly.
You are very welcome I borrowed this bike for a week back in 69 and had not seen it since around 73 till last year when I met up with said old friend when he said he still had it I asked to see it so he pulled it out of the garage and touching it and sitting on it moved something inside of me I am not an emotionable person but this was something else like touching the past.

mark.lb

2019 KTM 1290 Super Duke - recommended oil change interval 15000 km (9300 miles)

Attachments

• 0E71C6E0-AD4C-4363-A9D3-C1C7408CB82C.jpeg
    0E71C6E0-AD4C-4363-A9D3-C1C7408CB82C.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 4

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
“Most” not all. Shifting also starts to get clunky with old oil.

it’s your prerogative. Do as you like with your oil changes.

SURLY

Sorry to hear about your time constraints on riding. My other hobby is Golf. When we are not under a stay at home order I usually play 3 or 4 rounds a week. It took me 37 years of marriage to train my wife properly. But she is finally getting comfortable with my motorcycle/golf lifestyle! (God I hope she doesn’t read this thread) I only have 2 grandchildren right now but I also get dragged to every activity.
I to have been married for 37 years but have never tried to train my wife it would be like swimming up a waterfall and I like her aggressive can do attitude it compensates for me being lazy and has got us into a very good position in life.
PS I hope your wife does not read this thread to:devilish:

SURLY

Most modern performance bikes with wet clutches are on a 5k mile synthetic interval.

Indian requires the cruiser oil to be changed every 5k, and the scout/ftr every 10k. I have no idea why indian would suggest such a high interval, and still use a small filter.

The oil break down isnt my concern, as modern synthetics dont generally break down, its the contaminates from the clutch that bothers me.

Oil is cheap, engines arent, is my philosophy.
And the last 8 words say it all. could not agree more.

SURLY

I fall into the “attached“ category as well. I purchased my 1977 Yamaha XS750-2D new when I was 18 years old. I still start it once a week and ride it every chance I get!
43 years and it still looks in great condition I am actually jealous here 🤢

Ultratoad

Some bikes are difficult to part with.... I have had a bunch of motorcycles.... Several I wish I had kept.... The ones I was smart enough to keep ???? 1974 Ducati Sport and 1980 Ducati 900ss....

SURLY

Some bikes are difficult to part with.... I have had a bunch of motorcycles.... Several I wish I had kept.... The ones I was smart enough to keep ???? 1974 Ducati Sport and 1980 Ducati 900ss....
Considering what those Ducatis are worth now I would say that was very smart I am sure you did not keep them as investments but they will make a hell of a pension fund.

Ultratoad

Please tell me that 74’ is an original “green frame”. I recently saw one at auction starting at $190,000!
No can do.... Black frame.... School bus yellow body work.... AND still under 4,000 miles !!!! She only does Ducati rallies and an occasional Sunday to Alice's....

mark.lb

You are a lucky man! (and so the folks at Alice’s who get to check it out) My 77 Yamaha still gets some looks because it is a triple. Yamaha has sold a ton of FJ, FZ, MT 09s. People are familiar with the 3 cylinder engines and are curious when they see a vintage triple. Plus it sounds great.

Last edited:

JDP

What is everyone doing about an oil change on the FTR ? Can we do the first 500 mile one ourself or does it need to be done at the dealership? And should we just order the kit for this ?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You can order the kit. But you have to pay shipping. Most bikes only take 3 quarts. I just buy everything individually from my dealer and it’s cheaper than buying the kit online with shipping.
Yes you can do it yourself. Indian even has a YouTube vid for the ftr oil change.

Max Kool

Site Supporter
I'm lazy, just bought the kit off Amazon. Paid no shipping.

And with only three quarts needed, I just need a filter and two washers for the fourth oil change :geek:

JDP

That’s the best way I think , get the washers , filter and oil, if you bought everything separately it would be about the same if not more, good call