Peg feelers

How the hell do I know where the lean limit is on an FTR?

Seriously I got no clue.

Did the peg feeler snap off because it was leaning too far? I’m lost on the FTR and when the feelers do their job. Normally just ride bikes that let me know but the FTR is an oddball!

My tire did this but my riding buddy behind me said I had 2-3 inches left before my foot was on the ground (in banked turns not on crowned roads)

Did I just go too far on a banked tight 90? Stopped and took this picture right after his comment. Maybe 600-800 miles on this tire as I bought a new one just for this week long mountain tour. It was on hellbender 28 in the left right left zigzag section if anyone from down south reading this.

2019 FTR S on trail scorps with Gilles/Indian colab rear sets clocked to the rear and feeler pins indexed slightly back (next index point would point the feelers slightly forward) 36psi in rear and suspension clicked in to about a 240lb rider per manual (all settings including pre load set per manual), I weigh 150lbs so maybe 180 with gear on.

I’m gonna lay this thing over in my garage with straps to the ceiling and straps on the springs. I just can’t figure out this bike on roads like that without immensely high risks.
6187BEC2-3683-4A0E-83E4-6824BD5C679D.jpeg

Last edited:
Feeler pegs don’t snap off unless you hit something. You would think you would have felt it…
It snapped off about the same time the headers started scuffing. Dunno. Do they scrape for you or does the bike go wayyyy to far on the rubber before they reach? There's not much to hit but there's a couple short sections of ruptured pavement on the tail. Not sure what happened tbh just spit balling. I normally just ride my actual sport bikes instead but it was a "hooligan" ride where we only took 890's and FTR's this trip. Definitely regretted leaving my husky 401 at home when the FTR hit the tail lol!

The 890's were out pacing the FTR's i'll tell ya that! Only time I kept up with the 890's was when my FTR had nobody behind it and could brake seriously hard into the corner (the FTR out brakes the 890R by leaps and bounds so gotta be careful on my FTR cuz I'll get rear ended or wash out a front end on a random's bike behind me by braking too hard. My 890 broke down ignition failure though at 17,000 miles. The brakes were unreal on the FTR! Never used them before rly had no idea they're so impressive.

The FTR didn't hit anything but the pavement and that's all I know. Maybe I broke it on the tail and then it just snapped off later. Wayah didn't have any ruptured pavement this year to break it on that I recall.

I will tell you Gilles has rly rly good parts support. They shipped all their control parts out and they carry each part no problem. 3-4 weeks roughly to get them.

M6x20-14580-8.8-VZS $2.42
M6x20-10642-VA-PRE10.1 $2.88
UEX-01 (Black) $23.38
UTR-27-IT (Black) $11.95
UTR-24 (Black) $42.83

That's all the parts that fell off from vibrations a different day, already ordered the snapped feeler and peg replacement on different invoice.

Last edited:

Max Kool

I have the OG Gilles rearsets. They are narrower, solidly mounted and don’t have feeler pegs.

Lean off the bike more. Or tighten up your preload
Totally agree hanging off the bike works to reduce lean angle. Just curious if anyone uses these peg feelers mainly.

I been riding 20 years and less lean less risk for sure but I’m 150lbs lol. When I hang off a 500-600lb bike with 19/18 tall ass tires it don’t do much besides stabilize and maybe reduce lean a tidge.

Do y’all rely on these peg feelers on the FTR?

She sure feels like she’ll keep going unlike my other bikes that kinda firm up before they run outta tire.

Just curious anyone scraping peg feelers? I don’t normally ride shitty rubber on heavy bikes like this but the FTR is really stable and I’m considering pushing her harder but not if the peg feelers are just dysfunctional cuz I dunno how to ride a cruiser without the warning grinding on the ground.

I just kinda assumed my Gilles/Indian controls have the machined lockouts so they can’t be set up wrong.

Last edited: