Rally or FTR1200s tires

American

I was reading and some people have said the rally factory tire is better on road and off than the DTR.

Looking to find a better tire that still looks off road capable. Definitely mainly on the road.

FTR London

If memory serves me correctly, I thought that these were fitted with the Pirelli Scorpion STR rally, which I have fitted to my '19. I formerly had Continental Road Attack 3, which in my opinion is one of the best/optimum tyre choices for the '19 (obviously, the 22's are availed with a much wider range of selection). I wanted a more aggressive and authentic looking tyre though and although slightly more ponderous and less responsive, for a block tyre these things are phenomenal and super sticky. Not the best dual sport out there if you favour serious off road (they are hopeless in sand and mud), but superb on unsealed roads and tracks and come into their own on the asphalt. Donning my old race leathers to see what they were capable of, I found I could easily knee down with these tyres with plenty of feel and grip. I have always loved and trusted Pirellis on the road and track - so I admit to being biased. These are infinitely better than the DT3s however, which are essentially a dirt track tread and profile and quickly get found wanting on the road in all but perfect conditions and surface. There is no comparison.

IMG_20220521_133828011_HDR.jpg

American

I think it was one of your posts I had read about it having the right look and better performance.
Without a doubt a full sport tire would perform better but I’m not pushing it like that. Rather sacrifice performance in an area I never get to than appearance that I see daily.

Thanks for the response.

FTR London

I think it was one of your posts I had read about it having the right look and better performance.
Without a doubt a full sport tire would perform better but I’m not pushing it like that. Rather sacrifice performance in an area I never get to than appearance that I see daily.

Thanks for the response.
We all differ, but to me, this is supposedly a flat track racer, so form over function. I prefer the thing to be raw and spartan and true to its supposed roots, which is why I considered the high level S&S shotgun exhaust and can't be doing with practical add-ons and over accessorisation (luggage, screen, phone hook up/holders, comfy seat, rack, etc). As I said, others see it differently. In terms of performance, obviously the Continental sports tourers were far superior for example, but if that was my sole objective I'd simply buy another sports bike. The Toce and the Lloyd'z tune is a wonderful thing to behold though, and the latter is a must in my opinion. There are people on this forum with far more technical knowledge than myself and that are more devoted to the pursuit of performance, others that enjoy aesthetic tweaks, those seem to simply want to transform their bike into a bland staid commuter or keep it mainly stock. I have to say, and it's not popular, but straight out of the showroom the 19s in particular were one of the ugliest and cumbersome looking machines I have ever seen. Certainly afflicted by dismal fuelling and a complete cop out on the tantalising project bike that temptingly and teasingly enticed so many in the pre-launch marketing. Once you've binned off all the lard and the extraneous crap, it's certainly more faithful to its inspiration.

I'm simply after an obnoxious motorcycle - and I think if it's done right, the FTR is raw, uncompromising and smacks of attitude.

Whatever. Most of us project our personalities into our bikes or to an extent they can personify the rider and that's what makes many motorcycles and motorcyclists so varied and interesting.

MilwDave

I installed the Pirellis a few years ago and can attest that they offer a huge improvement over the D3s.
That being said, the D3s look baddass and correct on the FTR.