Ran out of fuel....

edgelett

There's a massive car race on here in Adelaide next week, and as it's a street circuit the roads are starting to get closed down which makes getting in & out of work harder.
Consequently I've been riding in a bit lately so I'm not sitting in traffic for an hour on what is usually a 25 min trip.
Yesterday on the way in, I noticed the 'low' light pop on my dash - however I didn't notice it until I pulled in the car park (was too busy concentrating on the traffic).
So when I headed home & thought 'well i need to fill up, but I'll wait til the servo closest to home cause the one nearest to work is hard to get in to/out of'.

Rode home with no problems, pulled in to the servo no problems, and put a bit over 11 litres in the tank.
I remember thinking 'wow it must have been REALLY low'.
Paid for the fuel, went to start the bike and....it wouldn't start lol!
Took me about 4 goes to get it going. Obviously i ran it RIGHT out (unintentionally) so when I went to restart there just wasn't enough fuel there to kick over.
When it did fire there were no problems but I was worried for a second lol.

Note to self - get fuel when the 'low' light comes on ASAP in the future!

Sullaha

I don't think you ran it right out if you could only get 11 litres in it. I've put 13 in mine a few times now and not had that issue.

edgelett

I don't think you ran it right out if you could only get 11 litres in it. I've put 13 in mine a few times now and not had that issue.
I probably could have put MORE in (11.3L according to the pump) but I didn't want to stand there another 5 mins watching the tank.
hmm how weird then - i thought for sure the non-starting was related to being empty?
wonder what else it could be?

Sullaha

If it was running out of petrol it would have coughed and spluttered a bit before you filled it.
Mine took two goes to restart it the other day in different circumstances. I'm not sure why but it hasn't happened again. If it does I'll be talking to the dealer.

edgelett

hmm.
ok thanks - I've had the recall done and am running Ryan's tune, if it happens again I might try contacting Ryan first and if that doesn't help the dealer next.

Thanks!

HugoB

For what it's worth- I was reading the owner's manual (had trouble falling asleep) and the low fuel indicator 'illuminates when 2.0 Liters / 0.53 US gal of fuel remains in the tank.' I was curious myself because although I've only had the bike for a week I noticed the fuel range jumps around a bit (I have the ride command display).

SURLY

I would not mind the fuel range if it was,nt such an absolute pain in the arse to fill back up design fault here.

NZ FTR

Was watching g display on longer ride, at 20kms left it switched to low warning. Did another 10ish km and put 11.8L in. That was a fairly spirited ride doing lots of gear changes and throttle moves near end of run in kms.

mark.lb

A few weeks ago I purchased a Nelson Rigg tail bag. They also sell fuel bottles that attach to the mesh on the top of the bag. Could get you out of a sticky situation in a pinch.

(Tail bag is easy on and off. Attaches to the passenger hand grabs)

Attachments

• 4F8D4F09-D880-4316-A095-88EC30C718BB.jpeg
    4F8D4F09-D880-4316-A095-88EC30C718BB.jpeg
    412.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 0BCD59F6-46F2-446F-BBED-E8B3932F1D1B.jpeg
    0BCD59F6-46F2-446F-BBED-E8B3932F1D1B.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 31

mark.lb

Trails End Dual Sport / Enduro Tail Bag. (10.5 x 8.5 inches.) Fits perfectly behind the drivers seat and does not hang out over the sides of the seat or onto the tail light.