rear sprocket 49t vs 45t vs 43t on my ftr s 2020

holli

as it started snowing again in austria - i did take the time and moved the sprocket now from 49 to 43 - hopefully, in a couple of days the weather changes back to spring - changed the chain as well to 114 and if i don't like it i still can change with the same chain to 45t sprocket - here are some pic's to compare the sprocket sizes...

22-04-02 09-18-49 3517.jpg22-04-02 09-17-53 3516.jpg22-04-02 09-17-05 3514.jpg

mark.lb

Hey don’t insult my 900lbs bagger. I keep my Vintage in “sport mode” and never lug it around!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Nice. I’m doing the same thing, I want to see what the 43 sprocket does. The ftrs running at Daytona were all running a stock front and 41t rear sprocket

holli

short update
today we got some nice weather in austria and i did a short ride - but i do not like the 43t on my bike - so i switched to the 45t rear sprocket and this fits much better - i still have to get into the mountains but from my test ride this does feel much better than the 43t sprocket and i feel it would work better than the 49t - but lets see how it feels in the real montains later this week.

jimmy 53g

I think first gear is way too low for this motorcycle...maybe Indian thought people would actually ride a lot on dirt?

I am leaning towards a change to a 45 tooth rear sprocket. Need to do the math, I don't want to handicap the FTR's top speed potential. I would like to shoot for a rear sprocket that would give 140 mph @ around 8300 rpm in fifth gear.

That gearing would make first gear actually usable on the street (and the drag strip) and make sixth an overdrive, over 50 mph cruising gear. Gas mileage should improve, as well as general rideability.
I have a 2019 ftr 1200s with bassani pipe and fuel moto flash program and did 135 mph at 8000 rpm in 6th gear, just replaced sprockets and chain from sprocket center which had a 46 tooth rear sprocket, hoping for 140+ mph.

holli

short /maybe final update on this topic...

so i tried following sprocket sizes:
49t - stock on 2020 ftr - first gear is way too short i thought - but cool hooligan bike setup...
43t - did not like it - felt like my roadmaster
45t - ok but for me still a bit too brave
46t - ok - a good compromise for me to have a longer first gear and still feels like a hooligan bike

so i stay on the 46t sprocket as it still feels ok for me and the first gear is ok and on 6th gear cruise the rpm's are lowered a bit as well - so i can have 120km/h (75mph)) at 4k rpm
and i need new nuts for the sprocket bolts as they are not built for that many changes...

holli

zane8stacks

short /maybe final update on this topic...

so i tried following sprocket sizes:
49t - stock on 2020 ftr - first gear is way too short i thought - but cool hooligan bike setup...
43t - did not like it - felt like my roadmaster
45t - ok but for me still a bit too brave
46t - ok - a good compromise for me to have a longer first gear and still feels like a hooligan bike

so i stay on the 46t sprocket as it still feels ok for me and the first gear is ok and on 6th gear cruise the rpm's are lowered a bit as well - so i can have 120km/h (75mph)) at 4k rpm
and i need new nuts for the sprocket bolts as they are not built for that many changes...

holli
I just ordered the 46 sprocket. Do i Need the 114 chain or can i get away with the stock chain?

Scarecrow

i'm still on the 46t sprocket since april this year and i do like it so far
Very similar. But I like the looks of the superlite sprocket more.
Cool thanks, always wanted to try the 45t but was waiting until tires were ready to be changed to do it all in one shot. And it’s about that time. Just learned about the 46t reading this thread. But yeah the superlite does look good.

R. Warshawsky

Tried to find this elsewhere, but how many miles did you all get before replacing the chain and sprockets? Did you replace the drive cushion at the same time? And, how many miles should you expect from the various items?