Replace spark plugs and check valve clearance

Charliemurphay

I created a maintenance sheet a while back with the intervals and such for each item listed in the manual, along with some of my own tweaks (oil changes at 5k instead of 10k for example).

At the bottom is a table for valve clearances that tells you whether the measured clearance is in spec or not. It will then tell you what tappet size is required to bring it back into spec. It has examples filled in. Feel free to use and pass around.

Link:

American

Just wondering is the rear cylinder exhaust valve measurement missing a zero or possibly a decimal in the wrong place?

Front EX- .008-.006
Rear EX- .070- .0095
Can’t imagine that’s right??

Massimo

I created a maintenance sheet a while back with the intervals and such for each item listed in the manual, along with some of my own tweaks (oil changes at 5k instead of 10k for example).

At the bottom is a table for valve clearances that tells you whether the measured clearance is in spec or not. It will then tell you what tappet size is required to bring it back into spec. It has examples filled in. Feel free to use and pass around.

Link:

Thanks for the offer but I'm still old fashioned, I write everything in a notebook :ROFLMAO:

Massimo

No Max it's a protruding edge from 2mm , which should have been machined away in the factory ! And you can't align it !

Charliemurphay

844FE1EB-B968-47F0-80D0-599291BF4264.jpegWell according to the service manual 250-270 is the normal range. 230 is the service limit. With mine I assumed either the gauge was off a little or that I probably had some carbon deposits. Maybe both.

Blue1

That's what I was thinking, I wonder if the pic isn't showing the color accurately. Would probably be one of the few times I've seen a stock (late model efi) bike be too rich throughout the range, especially with a slip-on (usually it goes the other way).
Those plugs look OK to me, quite rich would be a dark brown or black. tan is good and they look close to me.

Given reasonably accurate color repro in the pic.