Ride Command and Stock Tuning

ottobot

Hi All,
I picked up my new FTR 1200 S race replica last Tuesday, and have the same issues that seem to be common:
Mostly at idle, but occasionally when downshifting, the engine stalls. Is anyone aware of whether this has been fixed with a ride command update? If so, does anyone know where this is available? On the ride command website, it seems that the only updates available are for the larger ride command units..
I will likely pick up the Acropovic link pipe that removes the DB killer and a PV3. Does anyone know if there are tunes available to flash for this combo? I can get it tuned, but I'd rather just flash someone else's tune for now if available.
Also, has anyone else burned their shoes on the exhaust right in front of the rear brake lever? Easy to avoid once you realize it's there, but you can't see your foot with that exhaust..

Also super annoying, I have a Sena Momentum INC helmet (which I love if anyone is wondering), and it is insanely annoying to use with the ride command system and iPhone. I tried connecting it to the ride command system and passing the audio through that, but that makes none of the buttons on the helmet function for phone control, meaning most importantly no Siri. If you have a lot of contacts on an iPhone, they won't all sync to the ride command system, so it seems to be that syncing only your favorites and recents is the best option, which makes Siri functionality kind of essential. It's also nice for music. As such, I connected the helmet and ride command both to the phone directly. This makes it so that you cannot make outgoing calls from the ride command system (so Siri only to make calls), and using the ride command's play/pause or track change buttons switches the audio routing from the helmet to the ride command system. If you use the buttons on the helmet to pause then play again, it switches back to the helmet. Occasionally, the ride command system also freezes when a new track starts, or when you get a long text message, and it disconnects from the phone then reconnects. When this happens, the audio routes to the ride command instead of the helmet, which playing then pausing brings it back to the helmet. It's not a huge deal, but it's definitely annoying. I really wish you could turn off audio routing to the ride command system altogether. That freezing happens pretty often. Like maybe once every 10 minutes for me. Has anyone else experienced this issue of have a better solution? It's still worth connecting the phone to the ride command system to see incoming calls/texts, and see what track is playing, but very annoying.

Tried to search and didn't find anything, so sorry if someone has asked this before and I missed it.

Thanks

Murdock

HI Ottobot,

welcome and congrats to your ride. There are no Ride Command updates and they would have nothing to do with the engines processing unit. With the PV3 there a are good working maps available. Search the forum for "Ryans tune" :).

Regarding you iPhone: For me it worked best to connect the phone to the bike and helmet to the phone. You can use the controls from the ride command and have Siri working. But I installed the phone above the Ride command and have both screens available (e. for navigation).

ottobot

HI Ottobot,

welcome and congrats to your ride. There are no Ride Command updates and they would have nothing to do with the engines processing unit. With the PV3 there a are good working maps available. Search the forum for "Ryans tune" :).

Regarding you iPhone: For me it worked best to connect the phone to the bike and helmet to the phone. You can use the controls from the ride command and have Siri working. But I installed the phone above the Ride command and have both screens available (e. for navigation).
Awesome, thank you! I will have to pick up a PV3 soon then. Do you have the issue with the audio switching from your helmet to the ride command system automatically?

K9F

I just ordered a PV3 plus K&N Filter from the link below only three days ago. I am on the far side of the pond and the PV3 is considerably cheaper from the USA even calculating import duty and shipping on top. I have been running with Akrapovics and a decat since day one 3000 miles and whilst I have had a few cold starting issues mine runs pretty well as standard. I too have a SENA but did not wish to overcomplicate the issue due to drop out and freezing on longer haul journeys so just use it as I always have as a standalone unit phone to helmet. I extended the SAE battery connector along the frame to the left side of the seat and just place my phone in the clear waterproof window of the tank bag, with a double USB adapter I can keep both the phone and the SENA fully charged on the go on longer trips.

This thread may also be of interest?

Last edited:

mark.lb

I also ride with a Sena 20S EVO but just connect phone to helmet. I have an Indian Ram X-Grip mounted to my left mirror stalk. I use a 10 inch Lightening to USB cable and plug into the port on the ride command to power the I-phone. Phone has all my tunes, SiriusXM and Google Maps if I need navigation.
I am one of the rare exceptions to the poor ECU mapping issues. I have not had problems with cold stalls or 3-4000 rpm surging issues. (I do let it warm up before I attempt to ride) However - If I was not happy with the way my bike is running I would purchase a PV3 in a heartbeat....

Charliemurphay

I have a Sena 20s and everything goes through the ride command for me. I have very occasional dropouts but it usually reconnects within a few seconds. I’m happy with it.

Unruly Rider

I run LexinMoto FT4 Pro and have no issues with the connectivity. Phone is connected to Ride Command and the FT4 Pro via BT, everything works fine... music, calls, rider intercom, and GPS navigation directions.

ottobot

I seem to have determined that not sending your phone’s notifications to the ride command unit solves the freezing and reconnecting issue. Hopefully there is an update that fixes that because I like seeing incoming messages on the display.

Charliemurphay

My intermittent connection drops (which were VERY infrequent) seemed more to do with Bluetooth music and the headset having issues with the bike than anything phone related. Messages would still appear and music would still be playing but the headset icon would disappear then reappear when connection reestablished. Like I said has been a relatively non-event and I’m happy with it.