Ride Command GPS

arobert3

Yesterday I used the GPS on the bike for only about the third time. It worked fine but the map did not autozoom as I got closer to my destination - like my car does. I was parked outside of the restaurant still looking at a map of the whole Western US and not the street I was on. There is probably a quick fix and I didn’t mess with it much but any ideas?

edgelett

Yesterday I used the GPS on the bike for only about the third time. It worked fine but the map did not autozoom as I got closer to my destination - like my car does. I was parked outside of the restaurant still looking at a map of the whole Western US and not the street I was on. There is probably a quick fix and I didn’t mess with it much but any ideas?
not many 2023 users on this page so not sure you'll get many responses.
that auto zoom in your car might be specific to your car model though, my car GPS doesn't auto zoom when I get to the destination.

maybe check what the manual says?

edgelett

Which is in my opinion why these things don't belong on a motorcycle.

Just enjoy getting lost.
it's all fun and games until you run out of petrol.
and on occasion, you actually need to be somewhere and a GPS comes in handy for that.
most of the time I don't need one - but when I do, my phone and quadlock are the answer.
having GPS on the bike from the start would mean I didn't need anything extra mounted to the bars.

FTR London

it's all fun and games until you run out of petrol.
and on occasion, you actually need to be somewhere and a GPS comes in handy for that.
most of the time I don't need one - but when I do, my phone and quadlock are the answer.
having GPS on the bike from the start would mean I didn't need anything extra mounted to the bars.
It's not something that has ever concerned me. I understand people embracing technology and I'm certainly no Luddite, but there's no need to have any such device mounted to the bars of a motorcycle particularly when there are those that are prone to prodding and using them or being distracted whilst riding. It's all fun and games until they have a serious accident or worse still cause one - and I've seen so many examples of this online.

edgelett

i'm definitely not an advocate for using a phone while riding or driving. I never suggested you should
but during our last long distance 3 day trip, being able to set the destination on the mobile phone and look down occasionally to check when we needed to turn was useful.

Staedtler

It's not something that has ever concerned me. I understand people embracing technology and I'm certainly no Luddite, but there's no need to have any such device mounted to the bars of a motorcycle particularly when there are those that are prone to prodding and using them or being distracted whilst riding. It's all fun and games until they have a serious accident or worse still cause one - and I've seen so many examples of this online.
It’s easier using satnag than looking down at a map or notes on a tank bag though

Oem nav sucks unless it’s like a rebranded garmin on a bmw

I ride a lot always to new places. I program my own routes and tracks in garmin base camp software for my tourer so I added my mount to my FTR

Buy an old phone from eBay and mount it to your bars, it can load gpx files and navigate in real time just use your pocket phones wifi.

Oem nav on most bikes would not allow me to lead 20k miles of rides a year without seriously frustrating the group… I mean if I promised the twistiest road in the state it’s kinda lame to not get there in a fun planned route too.

Yeh it’s ugly but I can take off the mount and puig screen in 5 minutes with one Allen key on bike night if you give me shit for dadding out my FTR.

Attachments

• 90010C63-CCAA-4889-98E5-E92E79C42A0A.jpeg
    90010C63-CCAA-4889-98E5-E92E79C42A0A.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

broncoguy27

I'm not very appearance-conscious and I run my phone up on the handlebars in GPS mode because it pretty much just works.