Ride height

wallycycle

Hi has anyone lowered their bike as I have found I am just too short, any ideas?

Posted this on the other forum:

I demoed a 1200S for my wife as she is too short (5'2") to ride the bike out of the crate. Anyway, based on a favorable test ride at the second dealer, she bought the bike and I got to work lowering it for her. Based on 25 + years of doing this for her bikes, I had a good idea what it would take with this bike.

First thing was reducing the preload front/rear to minimum. Despite doing this, the rider sag is still at the minimum end (she weighs 115 lb). The spring rates are obviously for a bigger person. Pulled the forks up in the triple clamp 8mm. I took a look at that rear tire (150/70-18) and the side wall looked pretty tall. Ordered a set of Michelin Anakee Adventure tires taking a chance that the rear would have a slightly shorter side wall. As luck would have it, it is 8 mm shorter. Finally, she had the stock seat modified by primarily shaving down the sides right where it meets the tank so she has a straighter shot to the ground. Also took out most of the foam in the seating area and replaced it with a thinner, but denser foam.

Because the bike rides lower now, had the side stand shortened by 3/4" as it was sitting too vertical.

The combination of the above allows her to have her left foot almost flat while stopped. She's a happy camper and loves the bike!!.

Great job! I'm sure your detailed report will help others on the forum. Do you have any photos of what you did to the seat? I am interested in that mod.

How did you shorten the side stand? I think the stock stand is too long and I have the shock preload at 17mm, fork preload at maximum.

I hope she loves her FTR as much as I love mine! It must feel like a rocket at her size.

wallycycle

Great job! I'm sure your detailed report will help others on the forum. Do you have any photos of what you did to the seat? I am interested in that mod.

How did you shorten the side stand? I think the stock stand is too long and I have the shock preload at 17mm, fork preload at maximum.

I hope she loves her FTR as much as I love mine! It must feel like a rocket at her size.

Removed side stand and took it to a Welder / metal fabrication shop. He cut it right at the foot, took out 3/4" and welded it back together and repainted. $65.

Seat photo too big for attachment. See this thread:

She's been riding big bore bikes for over 25 years so used to the power.

Deeke

I would like to think that at some point,a manufacturer out there,will give us shorter Indian FTR1200 owners a chance to ride more comfortably,without the mega price tag. I want to change my tank side panels,but £450 for two pieces of pressed out plastic.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Think I'll look for a local upholsterer and get my seat lowered and narrowed. I did buy a Flat Track seat thinking that might solve the issue,but alas,no. So anyone out there there that might want not,I've got one here for sale.

Ray Tsang

Hi has anyone lowered their bike as I have found I am just too short, any ideas?
Hyperpro has a 30mm lowering kit for the FTR, just recent release. It comes with a set of front and rear springs, and the suspension oil. I waited for 2 months and it finally came in this week. This may be the cleaniest way to lower the bike without changing the geometry and pre-loading of the bike. Of course all the ways described above would also work

Max Kool

Even then, technically you are still changing the geometry. The wheelbase becomes shorter and you may be introducing more chain squat.

EagleEye78

Hyperpro has a 30mm lowering kit for the FTR, just recent release. It comes with a set of front and rear springs, and the suspension oil. I waited for 2 months and it finally came in this week. This may be the cleaniest way to lower the bike without changing the geometry and pre-loading of the bike. Of course all the ways described above would also work

I would like to hear a review on this.

K9F

I would like to think that at some point,a manufacturer out there,will give us shorter Indian FTR1200 owners a chance to ride more comfortably,without the mega price tag. I want to change my tank side panels,but £450 for two pieces of pressed out plastic.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Think I'll look for a local upholsterer and get my seat lowered and narrowed. I did buy a Flat Track seat thinking that might solve the issue,but alas,no. So anyone out there there that might want not,I've got one here for sale.

Hi Deeke,

Not sure where you are getting your pricing from? The plastic ones are quite a bit cheaper, you can get the carbon ones for the price you are quoting.

If you are thinking about having your seat reworked I can highly recommend these guys. I have used them twice, once to reprofile and recover second time to build a custom seat from scratch.

Staedtler

£450 is a lot, but the paint is quality at least..
You can buy them unpainted too, and get them done to your own design?
Or if you are in the US..

Reactions: K9F

K9F

They're not £450. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For $699 (£540 in my money) for the garishly painted ones they can 'go kiss my swingers.' Hideous to say the least. The unpainted ones are a bargain at a penny off $100 as even at my dealership they are over £200. It would be a lot cheaper sourcing a set from the USA if that is the way you want to head even with import tax and shipping etc.

I saw the black with the red warbonnet on last week and they are beautifully finished with clearcoat over the decals and quite attractive. The link doesn't do them justice as they really are a high sheen gloss. All of them are more or less the same price with exception to the carbon. They are £370-£380.

Last edited:

Staedtler

I guess you pays your money and takes your choice...though I agree, the red on black ones look great. UK prices do seem high compare to US, even with exchange rate taken into account.

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Swings and roundabouts. I have been looking at the carbon aftermarket bits quite closely. Front fender is only $20 more expensive in the UK. Headlight cowl is actually cheaper in the UK by $9 and the air filter/tank covers in carbon $14 cheaper in the UK.

The red and black covers we both mentioned are $27 more expensive in the UK.

If you want high prices H-D are a completely different ballgame. We pay in pounds what the dollar price is. Effectively EVERYTHING is 30% more expensive here from the smallest washer to a new motorcycle. Indian do have a keener pricing strategy and often better quality especially when it comes to branded clothing.

EagleEye78

I would like to know about your suspension settings and what you did about the side stand.

EagleEye78

So I installed the 30mm lowering kit today (spilled oil on my pants...yea) and took it for a little spin. I think I have the rear pretty well dialed for the most part, but still have to get the front end perfected. Definitely need to cut the kickstand!! I've been doing the one cheek sneak for years. I must say it is nice to get the feet planted for all awkward maneuvering I sometimes need to do. I don't need to be the fastest guy in the twisties, but I still want to look cool...Ha!

I'll get stupid in the dirt with the kiddies riding dirt bikes.

In the past I owned a F800GS. It was a good all round hideous bike that sucked at everything equally well. The FTR1200S is an impressive all round awesome bike that sucks at everything exceptionally well!

The FTR makes me giggle.

Last edited:

Ray Tsang

I would like to know about your suspension settings and what you did about the side stand.
Sorry for being slow here. Shamefully I have not yet installed the lowering kit - as I waited for the kit for so long (2 months!), and now I am actually used to the height and probably won't need it anymore! I sold it back to the Indian dealer who has a rider wanted it. I will ask them for a review. I did lower my 1200GS ADV using the same approach (lowering suspension kit for both front and rear), and what I did to the stand is that the garage helped to just cut out a bit of the stand at the top (not bottom), so it allows a larger angle for the stand and make it "shorter". It works well but have limitation on how much that you can shorten it. The best but more complicated way to do it is to cut the foot off at the end, cut it 5-100mm shorter, then weld back the foot. Can't think of any other way

Max Kool

and what I did to the stand is that the garage helped to just cut out a bit of the stand at the top (not bottom), so it allows a larger angle for the stand and make it "shorter".
Interesting. I did the exact opposite thing when I raised my FTR. I used a little strip of flat steel between the bracket and the sidestand itself, so the sidestand won't open as far as it normally does.(y)

Ray Tsang

Interesting. I did the exact opposite thing when I raised my FTR. I used a little strip of flat steel between the bracket and the sidestand itself, so the sidestand won't open as far as it normally does.(y)
This makes perfect sense, so the concept works both way! And this at least work for my ADV which I had to lower it quite a bit

EagleEye78

Going out on a limb here.!?

Would the Scout kickstand fit a lowered FTR. I was looking at the microfiche for both bikes and it seems many kickstand parts are shared between the two.