Smokies

American

Blue Ridge is underrated for sure. Always drive thru but haven’t ever taken the bike from FL up there.

Jealous you’re getting to enjoy it!

Blue Ridge is underrated for sure. Always drive thru but haven’t ever taken the bike from FL up there.

Jealous you’re getting to enjoy it!
Yeh it’s not Wyoming or CO. I dunno I prefer the Smokies and Michigans glacier landscapes.

Back in my backpacking homeless guy years of my youth I climbed more elevation per trip cumulatively in Michigan than I did on a Ranier or Circque du Towers trip….

People just flap their little wings when the hive tells them to. That’s fine they can have their hallmark card superiority complex while I’m perfectly grounded and appreciative anywhere I am.

Appalachia is the worlds largest track in the fall (you won’t find smoother cleaner roads with long sections of zero pullouts) more rallies are held in the southern side than anywhere else in the US per year for a reason too. I did get a little annoyed at the comments and comparison traps my friends set themselves in during my group trip through the region. Then I just said you know what buzz buzz lil bee but I’ll be me.

Also, it’s a national treasure not a GoPro contest. Sheesh people do under rate it for sure. We rode it from end to Asheville and enjoyed coffee at summit in the arts district. Highly advise you enjoy a slower pace day this way, ideally mid trip or on a clearer sky’s kinda day, as the twisties are abundant and taxing day after day after day everywhere else in the region.

This also happens to be the most scenic and conservation abundant section. North of Asheville it just becomes uh, a tree tunnel much like the Appalachian trail I droned down for months and months on end to get a gold sticker without much appreciation in my youthful ignorance.

Last edited:
I’m 6 trips deep in my life by road and I’ve hiked every named mountain in the Smokies and surrounding region. It’s pretty neat area and my polish immigrant ancestors oxen built cabin is out there on my 200+ year old ancestral land.

It’s also been inhabited all that time, currently by a nice family of friends of the family tenants. I feel right at home out there and my great great uncle built my violin out of the trees of the forest, shaped steamed and combed, and muscle shells inlays come from the streams. The scroll work on it was finished 11/11/1911. The original bow is wrapped in whale bone, now unobtainable illegal to use.

The smokies is my home and it’s definitely under rated. The European babes were a fun time on many of those trips too btw. Great company and wonderful tourists.

Last edited: