Some New FTR News.... perhaps

edgelett

I asked Indian Australia whether we'll see the accessories as stand alone here soon, this is their reply:
1611797690328.png

Staedtler

I think there’s a whole other reason for this.

They rerouted the headers to free up ground clearance and there simply is no room for a big round connection anymore. The connection to the cat is squashed flat, oval.

View attachment 2726

Imho this has nothing to with Euro 5, and everything with gaining back some ground clearance after they lowered it.
That’s a big cut for a relatively small drop in ride height. Maybe welding for Euro5 allowed them to add more ground clearance, not the other way round...

Max Kool

What is “welding for Euro 5”. It doesn’t exist.

Your reasoning doesn’t make sense, the exhaust still has 4 joints...

Think about it, the FTR gen2 was lowered by over an inch, and the gen1 already scraped its headers. They HAD to reroute the exhaust else it would become a liability.

Staedtler

What is “welding for Euro 5”. It doesn’t exist.

Your reasoning doesn’t make sense, the exhaust still has 4 joints...

Think about it, the FTR gen2 was lowered by over an inch, and the gen1 already scraped its headers. They HAD to reroute the exhaust else it would become a liability.
Isn't there now one less joint between the header and the cat box? Now welded?? Isn't that what people are complaining about?

Staedtler

So one less joint, agreed. Welding is for Euro 5 leak mitigation, one less potential leak path if it's welded rather than a gasket. Routing probably changed also due to great lean capability of 17" tyre too, as well as reduction in ride height.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It didn’t probably change. It did change. And yes that’s why.

As for the welding. Manufactures have been doing that long before euro5. Most weren’t an issue because you could cut it off and clamp in a link pipe and not see it since there was a fairing over it.

All other Indian bikes have had welded cats for years as well

jojo

Beside the 17" wheels, is the seat area along with the new suspension modified to lower the ride height?

Max Kool

Yes.

Gen 1: 150mm suspension travel
Gen 2: 120mm suspension travel (which is on sports bike level and could actually be a bit harsh on bad roads)

MrEd

Agreed, I am 6’2” and have no issues with the height. Keeps people from asking to take it for a ride or wanting to sit on it. Rev B was the answer for my bike running rough. Now the clear tank protectors though....look good, gotta wait til March

MilwDave

6’4” here as well and I bought the FTR specifically because of the fit. My 5’10” granddaughter will be riding it this season as well.
Although we have two other Indians I was looking outside of the line to add a lighter bike. The owner of my dealer had me ride one reluctantly I might add while I had my wife’s bike in for service. I came back shocked how well it felt and a few months later I could no longer resist the deals.
Quite honestly I wouldn’t have considered the 2022.

PiotrusPan72

Anybody knows if the dealers will be replacing the 2019/2020’s engine maps setup with the new 2021’s one to address the cold start issues? If yes...(hopefully), can it come with the rear cylinder’s switch-off option?

Charliemurphay

Anybody knows if the dealers will be replacing the 2019/2020’s engine maps setup with the new 2021’s one to address the cold start issues? If yes...(hopefully), can it come with the rear cylinder’s switch-off option?
As I understand it there are some intake and injector hardware changes too so not likely compatible to just change the tune to add the ability to the ‘19 models.

PiotrusPan72

As I understand it there are some intake and injector hardware changes too so not likely compatible to just change the tune to add the ability to the ‘19 models.
It makes the things complicated. On the other hand it may cause Polaris a legal problems if something bad happens. Presuming the engine dies on the first traffic lights and a tragedy happens. I’d say it’s a risky game...