Stolen FTR1200S

LoudFTR

FTR1200S was stolen today... It was parked in front of the dealership that I purchased it from in Salem, OR. I just ran inside to ask the service department if I could bring it around to get a screen protector installed. Not even 60 seconds after I got off of it a white Jeep Grand Cherokee pulled up next to it and the driver jumped out of the Jeep and onto my bike. I was outside at the time and heard the bike start up and peel out of the parking lot. The police were called and arrived in a few minutes. The dealership just drove me home. It was all caught on several surveillance cameras. I'm so crushed.

Charliemurphay

F dude. This is the second FTR I’ve heard of being yanked. Somebody stole one out of an apartment garage around here. Got it back relatively unharmed a day later. People suck.

K9F

That's crap! In the UK if the key is left in it the insurance won't pay out with many policies. I think the first guy that looked at your bike from the dark colored truck may have been a spotter for the second to take it away? Hope you get a good result either way. Scumbags!

Fuse5

Damned! (there are areas in the world where u never left the key away from bikes or cars)
Bastards!
Sorry for.

D

Deleted member 677

That truly sucks brother! I hate to hear about someone loosing their bike. Its equally as hard to watch. People really suck! I hope the police find it and insurance is fair with you! At least you have video footage! Maybe they will get a plate number to go with that vehicle. Does anyone at the dealership know that jeep? Maybe its a good thing mine stalls all the time! Indians approach to theft deterrent!

Last edited by a moderator:

cupcake_mike

Wait, did he go in the dealership and get a helmet? He wasn't wearing one when he initially took it, rides out of frame, then a minute later rides back through the frame with a helmet on? You'd think if he got the helmet from the friend in the jeep, he wouldn't ride back through the "scene of the crime". Not sure what the layout of the parking lot is, but if the jeep did exit to the right, why wouldn't the guy on the bike?Maybe he had a buddy at the dealership who helped him out? Inside job perhaps. I'd pursue that. Ask for more camera footage. Lots of dealerships have them in the shop to watch techs...

Murdock

A helmet and another jacket ;-).

No, the thief left the parking lot in the upper right corner of the picture at 12:34:35 of the surveillance cam time.
It was probably another customer of the dealer who crosses the scenery later.

mark.lb

Very sorry about your stolen FTR. It is a valuable lesson for the rest of us about leaving the key in the ignition even for a short period of time in a location we assume is safe. Hopefully due to the unusual hood panel (can’t be too many running around that look like that) the police will be able to track down the Jeep and it’s owner. They may even be able to see the liscence plate in the video. It will be tough to hide a FTR or sell it for parts. There just are not that many on the road right now. Please let us know how this turns out.

cupcake_mike

A helmet and another jacket ;-).

No, the thief left the parking lot in the upper right corner of the picture at 12:34:35 of the surveillance cam time.
It was probably another customer of the dealer who crosses the scenery later.

So, I watched it on a bigger screen (it was on my phone the first time) and you are totally right, different bike. Its crazy to me that there would be 2 FTRs leaving a dealership at nearly the exact same time. The only time I've seen 2 FTRs in the same place, in person, is on the showroom floor.

3rdGear

So, I watched it on a bigger screen (it was on my phone the first time) and you are totally right, different bike. Its crazy to me that there would be 2 FTRs leaving a dealership at nearly the exact same time. The only time I've seen 2 FTRs in the same place, in person, is on the showroom floor.
That is me towards the end of the video try to track down the thief to no avail. The owner and I were talking when he noticed his bike being stolen. At least four patrol cars eyeballed me on the way home checking to see if I was the guy on the stolen FTR.

Last edited:

LoudFTR

Insurance company called this morning and said," The proximity of your key to your motorcycle has zero impact on your claim. Whether your key was in your ignition or not, no one has the right to steal your bike. We will be processing your claim as quickly as we can." This is obviously a great relief. Not sure if I will buy an FTR1200 for a third time though. I may be inclined to replace it with something that has a keyless fob and better security system. I am an honest person and it absolutely blew my mind to think that someone would be brazen enough to steal a motorcycle at 12:34 PM in full view of several surveillance cameras. I may just be naïve to the truly disgusting nature of people. Believe me when I say I will not make this same mistake again.

LoudFTR

Bought my third FTR. At this point, I have owned a base, S, and RR. Dealership stepped up and made me the same deal on this Race Replica that was made on my S model, plus I have some RSD parts ordered. Unfortunately the new RR has the AH2 tune (1400ish rpm cold idle) so I am looking into tuning options, but Akrapovic titanium header seems to be back ordered.

Attachments

• FTR1200RR 10-28-20.png
    FTR1200RR 10-28-20.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 13

mark.lb

Congratulations - I am very happy for you! Enjoy your new bike.....(I am still shocked the police have not identified the odd looking Jeep that stole your bike.)

JDP

I can’t stand a bike thief I hope nothing but the worst for him or them hope you get everything worked out