Test ride done and questions

11is

Hi members,
yesterday i was able to test ride the FTR 1200S at a local dealer. The ride was about an hour but the riding was quite limited due to traffic. Most riding was between 50-70 kph, some short sprints around 100-120 kph.
At first I noticed the "stall" I heard about with cold engine (started in normal mode). After warming up the riding was a bit smoother but not ideal or what I expected from a modern EFI engine. Especially constant speed riding was kind of rough unless I shifted up and had the rpm under 3000. With that, it felt like relaxed cruising. Did you experience the same or am I completely wrong in gears and rpms? Don´t get me wrong, when I pulled the throttle, the engine delivered and I was smiling, but I thought it was smoother over the whole rpms.
The second thing -which I couldn´t figure out in the short time testing- is: What features does the multipurpose-unit provide? I saw some Bluetooth connectivety, a music-function and some more , but I could not test the whole range.
Does It support-
-cellphone-navigation or even a navigation program?
-in-ear music or is there a speaker option?
Has it a built-in anti-theft device?
Thanks in advance. The Indian website doesn´t offer to much detailed information so I´m counting on you guys :)

K9F

Hi 11is,

The following is based on what I do know and 'what I think' I know. I have only had my FTR for three weeks and am about to embark on a long trip past where you live from the UK. Time was limited and I have stuck with my trusty Sena to get me where I want to be and play music effortlessly. Some others may be along with more experience and knowledge to enlighten us both? You may have to wait a while as this forum is quite quiet at times?

The FTR does have fuel delivery foibles or quirks, it is best performing and kept 'on the boil' in higher rpm regions. My bike the fuel is either on or off but will be addressed by Indian with an update as they are acutely aware of it. In busy traffic in town I personally have found that fuel delivery is best in rain mode but you have to wring the living daylights out of the throttle on occasion when traffic eases and you want more out of it. Speed limit over here in built up areas is 30mph which is right on the verge of 2/3 gear, 2 gear is too high and 3 gear a little too low but you get used to it changing up and down gear to maintain speed rather than using cruise control that lugs the engine in 3rd.

By syncing your cellphone to your bike navigation is supported only by the fact whatever is coming out of your phone is played in your earphones, if you are using music on your phone together with navigation directions will interrupt the music, I have bought the Indian tank bag and there is a large clear windowed pocket where you can place your phone on top. I also believe you can place music on a USB and plug it directly into the USB port to the left of the bike display. I have an autonomous Sena system that I use as a standalone so have not experimented with the bike's capabilities as I don't really need it. Between getting the bike, getting the miles on her to get the first service out of the way, work and family commitments time was too short before my trip which was arranged months ago.

There is an application called 'Indian Motorcycle Ride Command' and the FTR is fitted with GPS as the clock and compass works using it. The application is free to download, see what it can do. Once again rumour has it that the FTR will have the navigation to your screen capability at some point but does not have any navigation capability at the moment.

Security: All come Datatagged in the UK but I am unsure whether it has an immobiliser? No OEM alarm is fitted.

11is

Hi K9F,
thank you very much for sharing your experience. I think there really are a lot options to come via update. In fact I didn't try the rain mode.
How many miles or km does Indian set for the first service?
Hope you enjoy your ride. Be safe.

K9F

500 miles/800 kilometres I paid approximately 222 Euros in your money but that included an extra litre bottle of oil for me to take with me on my trip.

thrilhou

Especially constant speed riding was kind of rough unless I shifted up and had the rpm under 3000. With that, it felt like relaxed cruising. Did you experience the same or am I completely wrong in gears and rpms?

I also have found the constant speed riding to be rough, but usually in the lower to low-mid rpm range.

The FTR does have fuel delivery foibles or quirks, it is best performing and kept 'on the boil' in higher rpm regions. My bike the fuel is either on or off but will be addressed by Indian with an update as they are acutely aware of it. In busy traffic in town I personally have found that fuel delivery is best in rain mode but you have to wring the living daylights out of the throttle on occasion when traffic eases and you want more out of it.

This has basically been my experience too. The bike is very jerky trying to maintain steady throttle at low speed in traffic. Engine braking also feels like a very heavy "on-off" switch on deceleration, particularly when it drops below a certain rpm (around 3000rpm, maybe?). That's a great tip about in town traffic and using rain mode. I will it try tomorrow on my commute. I am glad to hear that Indian is aware of the problem. How do you know that, by the way? From the dealer or speaking to Indian directly? Just curious.

Once again rumour has it that the FTR will have the navigation to your screen capability at some point but does not have any navigation capability at the moment.

I hope this happens. Seems silly not to be able to use the display this way when it perhaps has the capability.

K9F

Heard it from Colin Moore at Moore Speed Racing my dealership. Mine will be getting the 'tuning treatment' at some point as they do their own in house so any flash upgrades may be superfluous to myself by then.

Max Kool

So, by now (nearly) all owners will conform the stock fuelling is crap. It stalls on a cold engine, has a twitchy on/off throttle response and surges on a light load between 3 and 4krpm.

This can be fixed however. For months both Fuel Moto and Ryan Randall (formerly from The Runway Performance, currently at Indian of Charlotte) have been developing and selling Dynojet PV-3's with maps. Well worth your money. My bike was one of the first bikes Ryan treated remotely, and I couldn't have been more happy. Meanwhile I've had my bike over three months and I recently installed the latest map he had for my bike (which is completely stock except for the baffles removed fromt he Akras).

Even on a light load now (10% throttle opening, or even less, the achilles heel of the FTR), between 3 to 4.5 krpm, no surging at all. Nothing, perfect. Bike feels like a well tuned Ducati that runs slightly rich on the needles. That good.

I can't tell you much about the dash, I don't tooth blue...

Last edited:

Kenmosher

I can add another fueling glitch ... mine is stock except for the baffles removed but if you really crack the throttle quickly to close to WOT, it hesitates and then surges ahead suddenly. At first I thought it was wheelie control or something, but it seems to do in all ride modes and from what I read SPORT mode shouldn't interfere.

Max Kool

As if it waits a few tenths of a second, and then delivers more throttle than you actually asked for? Yep, mine did that too...

Kenmosher

Well, yeah. But not sure where they are in the tunes for this bike ... I kind of like to have the "real world" tunes with miles under their belt instead of taking a "box tune" and having to spend the time diddling. (Although DJs box tunes are usually pretty decent)

Max Kool

In that case, Ryan Randall is your man, he can do it remotely... ( Ryan Randall at Indian of Charlotte)

mark.lb

I have 3600 miles on my FTR Race Replica....Upon start up, I find if I let the bike idle until the engine temperature comes up to 120*F before I try to ride everything is fine...this may take around 90 seconds. This is a big bore, high compression engine. It is a little cold blooded. Think race cars or bikes, no one would try to drive them until they come up to temperature...

Max Kool

The stalling while warming up was my least worry when it was still stock. The surging and twitchy on/off throttle reaction however... as a late braker the stock map made the transition from braking into, to throttling out of a corner very "interesting".