Triumph's electronic bike prototype

FTR London

I've met Jim at Warwick Manufacturing Group, attended several of his talks at Warwick University and seen some of the test rigs - absolute visionary.

At least when these things eventually roll out of the showrooms we won't face the usual problem of replacing the ugly, obtrusive oem stock exhausts. Not sure I could ever ride one of these things on the road though given how silent they are. Terrifying.

kiwi dave

I've been riding electric push bikes for a number of years. I do it for the exercise (and the adrenaline thrill) as I'm unable to walk or run very far after breaking my ankle.

I'm on my second one now, just purchased a Haibike Trekking 9 Low Standover. As well as being faster than my previous Magnum Metro+, it has a much greater range, up to 125 kM claimed. Still getting used to it, it relies on pedal assist to active the motor, which can be awkward when also having to navigate tricky paths.

I try and get out on it every day (when it's not raining!).

D

Deleted member 706

I spoke to the guy who rode this Zero, he used commute 40 K's each way.
He was a bone fide motorcycle enthusiast as well as an EV supporter. This was taken in 2017 at an EV display. IMG_20170813_120624.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170813_120637.jpg
    IMG_20170813_120637.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4

cupcake_mike

I think that was the theoretical max output of the battery/engine unit they designed. Scalable.

Yes, I agree, they are saying the motor/battery/invertor could support up to 500kw, but to someone without a strong understanding of electrical theory the headline: "500 kW Triumph TE-1 EV prototype enters road testing phase" is very misleading.

The biggest challenges are in front of them now, to this point its all been computer simulations and making stuff "fit". Now is when you actually have to make it all work together and not turn into a silent death torpedo.

American

0-80% charge in 20mins would be great if it’s a normal type of charger and not something super exotic.

Maybe it’s just me but whenever the electric vehicles rate real world miles it seems to be far off from what people end up testing in the real world.

If this does what they claim and you can get it to charge normal places in 20mins then it’s awesome!
If it’s true range is 70 miles and it takes an hour to charge up at most places then I personally am not impressed.

FTR London

I don't like it, I loath it - and that lack of sound is outright dangerous - but it's the way we have to go unfortunately.

The sooner the internal combustion engine along with hydrocarbon fuels are where possible consigned to memory, the better. But what a glorious legacy is left behind though.

This however - is not right.

Screenshot 2022-07-15 151543.jpg

FTR London

looks perfect weather to me?
:LOL: When was the last time you ventured into central London in mid-summer? Even in the mid-twenties it's intolerable.

And I'm not sure Londoners would be inclined to agree with you by the end of the century when 90% of their city is submerged.

I've never had an issue with the heat, I welcome it - but I assure you, 40°C in London is far from 'perfect weather' or normal for our climate - and is yet another grave warning for humanity. Does 50°C also float your boat? - because you'll be needing yours if we don't act.

https://blogs.adelaide.edu.au/envir...orsens-adelaide-will-become-a-50-degree-city/

Precisely the reason that Triumph are forced into developing that soulless electric tonka toy.

Last edited: