Triumph's electronic bike prototype

edgelett

:LOL: When was the last time you ventured into central London in mid-summer? Even in the mid-twenties it's intolerable.
2014. it got up to 30 Celsius and we were laughing at all the warnings on the Underground telling people to stay hydrated. we were walking around London in jeans, t-shirt and jacket

anyway - have a nice day 😊

FTR London

2014. it got up to 30 Celsius and we were laughing at all the warnings on the Underground telling people to stay hydrated. we were walking around London in jeans, t-shirt and jacket
Well done! Not sure why you felt the need to wear a jacket in 30 degree heat though :ROFLMAO: . The underground? depending on which line you're on it can be horrendous - particularly on the older network. In terms of heat, people are accustomed to different norms, and unfortunately, the British public need warnings like that, particularly the elderly. Mad dogs and all that. Many people are susceptible to unexpected heat and unprecedented heatwaves. I recall being at Laguna Seca in 2006 and they gave similar warnings amid uncharacteristic soaring temperatures. I can truthfully say, that the 40 degree heat didn't bother me one iota, but sadly there were people around me dropping like flies. London is a city of 9m, ill equipped for such weather and replete with ageing housing stock - it's customary to give out warnings when the temperature exceeds 30°C, but what were are finding now is that far from being an anomaly, these are almost an expectation.

So, my point wasn't an international pissing contest over temperature tolerance, or how hardy Aussies are over Brits, what I'm saying is irrespective of how "pleasant" you find the prospect of 102°F these temperatures were historically not the 'norm' in the UK and such extremes are becoming much more prevalent with climate change - particularly in continental Europe. Moreover...the ramifications will be anything but "pleasant".

The current global human-caused CO2 emission amount is approximately 35 billion tons annually. Hypothetically, if we were to halve this overnight to emissions of around 17.5 billion tons annually that is roughly equivalent to the total emissions in 1974. Assuming that we then maintain that level (17.5 Gt) going forward rather than it increasing again, a look at global average temperatures around the same time indicates that it was the time that these began accelerating increase. So even an instant 50% reduction wouldn't actually stop the global average temperature increase and there would be no cooling. However, it would slow the increase down significantly, giving us maybe three or four times as much time as we would have under "normal" circumstances (e.g. present ones) to stop the average temperature from increasing to a level where significant negative change would happen. Problem is - they aren't about to halve and we don't have that time. I have a close friend in Miami who is well aware that before the turn of the century it's likely that 90% of habitable Florida will be submerged.

I really don't relish the idea of electronic motorcycles, but commend the innovation, ingenuity and will to spearhead such technology which is fascinating. This is just one minor change, one small sacrifice in a world that will be unrecognisable by 2100. It's too little too late and frankly, it's looking increasingly unlikely that humanity will have the time to engineer itself out of the global catastrophe that is imminent.

Last edited:

edgelett

So, my point wasn't an international pissing contest over temperature tolerance, or how hardy Aussies are over Brits, what I'm saying is irrespective of how "pleasant" you find the prospect of 102°F these temperatures were historically not the 'norm' in the UK and such extremes are becoming much more prevalent with climate change - particularly in continental Europe. Moreover...the ramifications will be anything but "pleasant".
You asked 'When was the last time you ventured into central London in mid-summer?' and I answered your question, wasn't remotely interested in starting a 'pissing contest' at all.

I am used to warmer weather so find riding in mid to high 20's through to about 33-35 quite nice.
Because of that, I find some temps far too cold to ride in that you probably find quite enjoyable.

Everyone is different.

FTR London

You asked 'When was the last time you ventured into central London in mid-summer?' and I answered your question, wasn't remotely interested in starting a 'pissing contest' at all.
You did - thanks for that, but my question was in response to your comment that 40°C "sounds quite pleasant". Genuinely - it really isn't in a city like London.

I am used to warmer weather so find riding in mid to high 20's through to about 33-35 quite nice.
Because of that, I find some temps far too cold to ride in that you probably find quite enjoyable.
So do I - although mid 30s I'd rather be nursing a chilled ale in all honesty. I know ex-pats out in Spain and you can always spot the Brits because they are prompted to peel off their clothing around the low twenties - whilst like you, the Spanish are dressed in wooly jumpers. I hosted some American friends from Florida, Texas and California for Silverstone Moto GP (2011 if I recollect correctly), and we had an Arctic blast meaning when we weren't at the circuit, I spent most of the time warming them by the fire in June! I've lived in Singapore, briefly in Oz and California so I do understand where you are coming from, (although the former is just sticky horribleness). Also, Canada and NZ - the summers in Ontario are baking. Yes of course it is subjective and very much what you are accustomed to as I clearly alluded to in my last post. However, our homes in the UK don't have AC and neither do some work places. Understand that with our ageing demographic, those public health warnings you referred to really are vital. Particularly as global warming is accelerating these extremities.

Yup, up to 35° is totally fine. Below 20° however… 🥶
👍I used to regularly go out to San Joaquin Valley and Death Valley for some heat....particularly if I'd been in the Bay area for any period of time :LOL:. Like I say - 'Mad Dogs and Englishmen'

One of the great things about CA is that you can always head for the mountains or the coast to cool down.

Back on topic, the melting of the polar icecaps and the thawing of permafrost creates a change in albedo, which means that the polar region is less reflective than in the past. It's absorbing more heat energy, which in turn is raising the temperature locally, and also raising the sea surface temperatures that are recorded locally. This is phenomenon is particularly rapid in Europe. I do not feel ethically comfortable riding a motorcycle purely for pleasure and offset as much as I possibly can. It's not sustainable and the sooner that the technology surrounding electric vehicles is perfected the better - but at that point, regarding motorcycles, I'm out. In terms of the planet - I would contend that we have passed the tipping point.

FTR London

ok.

I thought it was a cool electric bike is all.
Disagree...the notion of electric motorcycles is hugely depressing. From an engineering perspective though it's laudable what Triumph are doing -actually, I'm there this weekend to watch a world record attempt. My bike? I've been riding motorcycles for most of my life...I offset, but not sure I can justify this much longer. E-motorbikes are approaching and at that point I'm done...but they can't arrive soon enough. From a personal perspective, it's becoming untenable and unjustifiable to run it purely for my own pleasure. I might have it hermetically sealed in a show cabinet and masturbate over it thrice weekly.

FTR London

Too much info dude, way too much. 🤬
It is that sort of motorcycle though Max - as well you know. Can you recommend any decent glass cleaning products - streak free?

Seriously though - I actually know someone with a limited edition Foggy 916 SPS replica mounted in an air conditioned glass case - I'll find out the number.

EllenGtrGrl

Bit of an update here.
looks amazing, figures look good, range is pretty close to the FTR lol!

Triumph TE-1 Electric Motorcycle Prototype Unveiled | Rider Magazine
Looks cool, and I will admit that I am interested in electric motorcycles, but like the Zero motorcycles (which have been available in my neck of the woods for the past several years), e-motorcycles just aren't practical for me, due to the fact that I have NO OUTLET to plug into in my garage space to recharge the bike, and even if I did, I'd have to spend extra on a speed charger, to have a full charge on the batteries, when I leave for work (my 50 mile round trip commute, complete with high speed riding, would go through the battery current like nobody's business). Also, I find it concerning that Zero is doing the Tesla thing - locking out additional capabilities/features with a software block, that you have to pay extra to remove (oftentimes hundreds of dollars extra). How long will it be before everybody who makes e-cars, and e-bikes jumps on this bandwagon, so they can make some extra bucks? Also, for all we know, the Triumph will be as pricey as Harley's Livewire.

In short, I think I'll pass for now on e-bikes.

P.S. - the eco-warriors like to tout how e-bikes and e-cars are "green, due to their lack of carbon emissions/engine exhaust. That's not true. In a case of selective blindness, they ignore that the production of the vehicles (especially the rare earth metals used in the motors, and the batteries used to power them) is anything but green. Disposal of the components at the end of vehicles' lives is also problematic, due to these same components not being very eco friendly. Oh yeah, and battery replacement is quite pricey - thousands of dollars pricey (hence the reason why you can pick up used hybrids like the Toyota Prius cheap - nobody wants to spend the money to replace the worn out batteries).

Last edited:

FTR London

Looks cool, and I will admit that I am interested in electric motorcycles, but like the Zero motorcycles (which have been available in my neck of the woods for the past several years), e-motorcycles just aren't practical for me, due to the fact that I have NO OUTLET to plug into in my garage space to recharge the bike, and even if I did, I'd have to spend extra on a speed charger, to have a full charge on the batteries, when I leave for work (my 50 mile round trip commute, complete with high speed riding, would go through the battery current like nobody's business). Also, I find it concerning that Zero is doing the Tesla thing - locking out additional capabilities/features with a software block, that you have to pay extra to remove (oftentimes hundreds of dollars extra). How long will it be before everybody who makes e-cars, and e-bikes jumps on this bandwagon, so they can make some extra bucks? Also, for all we know, the Triumph will be as pricey as Harley's Livewire.

In short, I think I'll pass for now on e-bikes.

P.S. - the eco-warriors like to tout how e-bikes and e-cars are "green, due to their lack of carbon emissions/engine exhaust. That's not true. In a case of selective blindness, they ignore that the production of the vehicles (especially the rare earth metals used in the motors, and the batteries used to power them) is anything but green. Disposal of the components at the end of vehicles' lives is also problematic, due to these same components not being very eco friendly. Oh yeah, and battery replacement is quite pricey - thousands of dollars pricey (hence the reason why you can pick up used hybrids like the Toyota Prius cheap - nobody wants to spend the money to replace the worn out batteries).
Thanks for your detailed reply.

I don't think that anyone suitably informed would dispute that electronic vehicles also come with a range of challenges - and indirectly, environmental and social impacts. Aside from the exploitation of low wage and often child labour, lithium mining is highly disruptive to ecosystems but the costs of the continued burning of hydrocarbon fuels is a far greater price to pay - and our time possibly up. The answer may not be in purely electronic vehicles, but it is quite clear that investment in nascent and sustainable alternative technologies must be pursued.

edgelett

Also, I find it concerning that Zero is doing the Tesla thing - locking out additional capabilities/features with a software block, that you have to pay extra to remove (oftentimes hundreds of dollars extra). .
kind of like speed limiting an FTR that you have to pay extra to unlock with a tune? lol.

Don't disagree, it's a dick move - i get having different 'models' kind of like how you can buy a base, S and RR FTR at different prices with different features such as suspension & ride modes. but simple features should be accessible to all.
as for the cost of production to the environment, yes lithium batteries and their mining/production etc currently has a cost. Depending on which news outlet you subscribe to, they will tell you it's either a small cost or a massive one. And for the general public it's hard to sort out the info on what is right. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/climate/electric-vehicles-environment.html

EV's still have a long way to go, but the tech is improving all the time and having new manufacturers involved helps with development.
I think at this stage I'm not keen on an electric motorcycle or car, but I'd seriously look at a hybrid car when it's time to upgrade. And an electric bicycle isn't off the list.
There's cool things happening with sand batteries but they're a long way away from being ready for general use.

Oh FYI here's a review a good mate of mine did of the Lightning electric bike a few years ago.

I look forward to seeing how the tech changes in the next 5-10 years.