Turn Signal Wiring (Sourcing Connectors and Positive vs. Negative Wires?)

addfrench

Quick question. I went to replace my front turn signals with the Motogadget M-Blaze Discs in the handlebar ends. I've got everything installed fine and I'm on to the wiring. I unplugged and removed my OEM front turn signals and I have a connector on one end and bare wire on the other. Where do I find the male/female connectors to match each harness connectors? Anyone have a source on those parts?

Is it possible to just bypass the connectors and solder/heatshrink the positive/negative wires together? I have a red and black wire each on my turn signals, but the wires coming out of the harness are both the same color. I'm colorblind, so I might actually be seeing something different, but to me they look like the same color wire for both positive and negative. How do you tell which is which to wire them together?

Any advice? Thanks so much!

addfrench

My wife just informed me that I'm just seeing the colors wrong. Basically, here's a breakdown of my wiring:

Left Turn Signal:
Harness (Blue/Purple) into which wire (Red/Black)?

Right Turn Signal:
Harness (Green/Black) into which wire (Red/Black)? (I'm assuming this one is straightforward, red to green, black to black, no?

addfrench

Thanks! I ordered the connectors. I don't have the service manual. Any idea which red/black wires connect to or line up with which purple/blue and green/black wires?

K9F

Temporarily wire the indicators up and give them a try, you can easily swap them about before permanently 'buttoning up' especially as you bought the connectors you can swap the pins over.

I do have a service manual and whilst your left hand indicator colors of blue and purple tally, in this case the red goes to purple (labelled as violet on the diagram).

Your right hand colors do not tally with the service manual as you should have blue with a red stripe and once again purple.

Maybe they changed the wiring specs?

Zoosela

I used wiring kit from Rizoma

kiwi dave

I moved my stock indicators along with the license plate up under the seat. I did this because I continually keep hitting my shins on them when they were attached to the rear of the axle.

Yesterday, in the only day in weeks it hasn't been raining, I got a great ride in fine weather. Although there was no rain, a lot of the roads were wet, especially in the morning. Received a lot of debris thrown up from the rear tire on to the back of my helmet, and the bottom of my jacket.

That little appendage that once held the indicators and license plate is going back on in an attempt to avoid a repeat experience, at least for the winter months. It will be interesting to see whether this fixes my issue.

addfrench

Thanks everyone for your help. I ordered the connectors and they should arrive on Thursday. I'll give this another go with the information provided.

Cheers!

addfrench

Got 'em working just fine. After tinkering for a minute with those connectors to get the pins to line up correctly, I now have functioning bar end turn signals. Thanks all for your help. And, for the record of anyone in the future reading this, I was wrong about my wiring. It must've been poor lighting + my colorblindness seeping in, but I did have Blue/Purple on my left turn signal, and Blue + Red Stripe/Purple on my right indicators. So, that was an error on my part.

Thanks for your help in suggesting these parts, wiring combinations, and for sending me the service manual, everyone.