UK Insurance

storm42

I got my FTR yesterday and promptly fell out with Hastings insurance about the cost of swapping from my BMW R1200RS.

Has anyone in the UK got any recommendations for insurance cover?

Thanks Ralph.

storm42

Bikesure (Adrian Flux) have just quoted £178 fully comp with our lass as a named rider, the lowest quote I have is £131 with Premier and £132 from Carol Nash, think I might go with that.

storm42

Carol Nash price has changed a bit but I have gone with them £138.02 fully comp. being a bit older has some advantages. :)

K9F

Glad your premiums were so cheap and you may think you bagged a good deal? Read on!

Just make sure when going through any of the brokers Bennetts, Carole Nash or Adrian Flux that your underwriters are not a company called Markerstudy. I have had historical dealings with this company and the service, customer care and validity of the insurance you have purchased can be described as questionable at best. I am being extremely polite and diplomatic there. I would NEVER EVER use them again and willingly pay more to avoid them. Read their reviews and make your own mind up. Cheap insurance is simply that just cheap! You may be proud of your cheap premium but insurance is only as good as when you have make a claim and the ensuing service you receive? Do your research would be my very strong advice. The reviews make for some surprising reading with the terms incompetent, fraudsters, avoid, disgusting and worse ever being used often in the 11 pages of feedback....

Whomever you intend to insure with check them out first. Many people who go through brokers can't even tell you who their underwriters even are or if they're any good? Are you one of them? The brokers get a commission from them to sign you up, do you think they really care and it is human nature to automatically go for the cheapest quote?

Last edited:

storm42

I have never made an insurance claim and the main reason for getting it is because apparently, it is unlawful not to have any. listening to mates that do claim, I would say that all insurance companies are crooks and do anything to wriggle out of there promises, so paying for something I don't want isn't a source of pride, just a way of staying out of jail.

K9F

In that case you're fine. There are obviously those that don't care if their insurance is worthless just as long as they are on the right side of legality. I had a no fault accident and the service was still abysmal. Not what you expect from your insurance provider regardless. Just make sure you stay rubber side down and nobody else wipes you out if you are with them?

storm42

No insurance is worthless if it satisfies the relevant laws, and if somebody wipes me out then it is their insurance that will be paying out, and nobody has any control over who the other party is, or isn't, insured by.

I had a quick look at the link you provided and the reviews look fairly standard to me, a lot of bad ones some good ones and one moaning that they are being awkward because his wife filled the form in and didn't declare non spent convictions, it is the nature of the insurance game, but the bottom line is, if everything is in order, they will not get out of paying.

What is a no fault accident?

Last edited:

K9F

No real point about splitting hairs about the worth of insurance here is there? Are you with Markerstudy or not? If not chances are you'll be fine.

I am simply giving a caution from personal experience of the shortcomings of a particular underwriter. It may save someone hassle and heartbreak for a few quid more by going elsewhere?

Personally I prefer and class 'good insurance' as having a company that has a reasonable reputation and good history when it comes to handling customers claims professionally, expediently and efficiently. Something I am prepared to pay more for. I dropped the ball massively when I went with Markerstudy and my classification of 'good insurance' stems from my bad experience endured.

A no fault accident is where you get wiped out or incur damage and it is deemed as not being your fault making the driver at fault's insurance culpable for all repairs and costs. Nevertheless you still have to rely on your insurance company to step up to the mark to represent you and communicate effectively on your behalf? As you stated you have never had to make an insurance claim and I sincerely hope you never do. In the unfortunate event of an accident if you're with Markerstudy you may find out soon enough how inept they can be? In the interim you will of course be legally sound with your insurance certificate. Enjoy your FTR and ride safe!

Last edited:

storm42

Had to search hard but yes I am with Markerstudy and not worried, Carole Nash seem to have a good rating and they would be my contact. It does beg the question why would a company like Carole Nash deal with Markerstudy if they are that bad.

Whilst I not made any claims for myself, I did sort one out for our lass when someone ran into her parked car and killed it. I wrote to the guys insurance company holding them solely responsible for the damage and got paid out (letter template downloaded from the internet). I mention this because I have just looked through my notes and guess who the insurer was. Markerstudy.

Insurance is like a lot of things these days, because we are no longer allowed to tell someone they are they are crap at something incase they don't have a quiet space to retreat to and the only skills anyone leaves Uni with are interview skills, the standards of service in a lot of industry is going down the pan. I think it will get worse and we will run out of options soon.

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Hi Storm42,

Agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph.

In answer to your question as to why Carole Nash use Markerstudy is the same why Bennetts and Adrian Flux as brokers use them too. Markerstudy are the cheapest and that is the primary reason many riders sign up to it, this in turn is a good high yield earner in commission for the brokers. You are also correct in that often the brokers will go into bat on your behalf and could bring pressure to bear if needed, but ultimately they are not providing your insurance your underwriters are! Markerstudy couldn't quite grasp the concept of having to communicate with my broker rather than send me letters of intending threat with regards to cancellation of policy, bear in mind they were my insurers and I was not at fault. The only thing missing from that outfit are the floppy shoes, red noses and squirty flowers in my experience first hand with my emotive and stressful dealings! I did eventually get an apology with regards to the letters, apparently they had been 'sent out in error,' nevertheless the damage was done and their credibility was flushed away! It was only then I did a little research and found how poor their customer service was and still is.

Last edited:

storm42

I have just had a return call from a local broker letting me know he couldn't better the quotes i had. I asked him about Markerstudy and he said they represent Marker, and whilst they could be sloppy, they were not the worst which is a worry. I believe that as margins get tighter and the WOKE pressure to employ incompetents gathers pace, then this poor service will spread through all insurance companies and we will all suffer.

K9F

Just perhaps storm42 the question to ask would be not to 'better the quotes' but 'better the insurer?' This is what I did when seeking a new policy through my broker when lo and behold they returned with another quote from the same aforementioned company? As stated they generally are the cheapest and cost not standard of service in the event of a claim is the prime motivator for most of those seeking a policy and the brokers also know this and peddle their wares accordingly. But that is no longer me!

Ironically and being totally unaware of your circumstances, Hastings from where you came have a much higher rating in the review stakes than the company you are now with.

Personally I don't mind paying extra to avoid them and whilst they all can 'wriggle a little' as you so aptly put it some 'wriggle less' and most have a better reputation and feedback. But that is the newer me!

We all have freedom of choice. I do agree about your comments and sentiments regarding the whole 'kit and kaboodle' of what is the Insurance Game. Invariably the only thing missing are the masks and muskets and the words "Stand and Deliver!" You are right things will most likely get even worse.

(y)

Last edited:

storm42

Ha, I did make the comment to the guy from Hastings that at least Dick Turpin had the decency to ware a mask, I don't think he knew who Turpin was.

I re insured the BMW on the 18th of May with Hastings after getting them to lower the renewal from £145 to £107.

When I rang them to change bikes they quoted £117 to swap for the remaining 7 months of the policy, I explained I could get a full year for just £20 more but they wouldn't budge. I then asked how much I would get back if I cancelled and was told there is a £45 cancellation fee so the refund would be about £20.

I know all the charges will be listed somewhere and we should read them before taking out a policy, but !!!

I pay in full for my policies and i would have thought they would have been glad to drop the £6500 liability and not charge me £45 for the pleasure. Yes, I know they all do the same and I know I can get ready when I ask Carole Nash to change the reg when it changes on the Indian, but somehow that won't feel as bad.

K9F

My logic would have been that either way you shell out with cancellation or retention of the Hastings policy. I would have subtracted the £45 you wouldn't have to pay from the £117 to retain the policy to give me a 'placebo renewal price' of £72 which perhaps wouldn't have been such a bitter pill to swallow despite still having to naturally pay the £117? I too pay in full, some of the brokers have an horrendous APR interest rate when you pay 'On the Drip.' For example Harley-Davidson Insurance Services who by the way are owned by Carole Nash last year were charging a levy of ballpark 50% interest rate. 'Gobsmacking' I'd say!

Last edited:

storm42

I get the logic, but I was expecting maybe £40 to swap, on paper the bikes make the same power, weigh the same, the BM would probably cost more to repair in the event of something going wrong, I just felt I was getting bent over.

Probably just like I will when the new number comes through.:LOL: