Watch out for the stock chain.

J Send It

So I found out the hard way Indian didn't quite pick the right stock chain for the bike. And before we go through the normal questions: yes it is serviced and tension checked regularly. And the chain and sprockets had about 1000 miles on them.

Max Kool

What??? Was it ever adjusted in those 1000 miles?

Looks like it ran off the rear sprocket and the rest is collateral... 😢

DeplorableOne

That appears to have been a catastrophic failure. Derailed it huh. Any idea what caused it? I've only ever seen this happen on dirt bikes and stunt bikes. That's gnarly and terrible just a whole ton of damage there that sucks. Wonder if a rock or debris hopped up there somehow?

K9F

Welcome to the forum.

There is a quality chain already fitted to the FTR. The chain stretch the first 350 miles was phenomenal and it needed adjusting twice, I had never witnessed such rapid stretch before on any of my bikes. Since then I have not had to adjust it since for several thousand miles and believe yours has been the only solitary FTR case of chain derailment.

S2Davies

Hey J Send It, sorry to see that the damage, it looks horrible. Whatever the cause, did you escape without getting hurt, while the damage is awful skin and bone is what counts the most?

Murdock

Maybe the chain has had the correct tension but the rear wheel (and so the sprocket) was not proper aligned?

Really a horrible damage, hope did not hurt yourself.

Last edited:

DeplorableOne

Made me go check my chain tension, it was super loose. I had said something when I bought it, they said it was specifications. Measured at only 18mm, so I adjusted it to spec. Hasn't even been 500 miles since I bought it

Max Kool

The new chain stretch. They all do that in the first miles. Regardless of brand. It’s just all the pens and bushings getting seated.

I adjusted mine the day I got it home.... and maybe once or twice after that. The last time is at least 2-3000 miles ago...

DeplorableOne

The new chain stretch. They all do that in the first miles. Regardless of brand. It’s just all the pens and bushings getting seated.

I adjusted mine the day I got it home.... and maybe once or twice after that. The last time is at least 2-3000 miles ago...
Yep I actually had it planned since I had my ECU out and it was up in the air. This just gave me a kick in the pants to go do it

K9F

Identical scenario to myself. Was really surprised though the amount of stretch on the FTR. On reflection I reckon if I'd backed the bike up with my boot on the chain it would have come off very easily at first adjustment after about a paltry 150 miles, obviously during break in too when it wasn't even being 'gunned' too much.

So I found out the hard way Indian didn't quite pick the right stock chain for the bike.

Really? As stated the chain was of good and proven quality. Wonder what the OP's reasoning behind the derailment may be especially if the chain remained intact? A few more details would have been nice? What sort of road was he on, speed and characteristics of the ride, harsh or just pootling along? 1000 miles? Was this the original chain and sprockets or had they been swapped out already? Something obviously either 'let go' or was amiss? Quite heartbreaking seeing such devastation on a relatively new bike with only 1000 miles on these chain and sprockets. Guess Indian may stump up the repair bill if the OP's statement can be proven?

**Late Edit** I notice the bike has a set of Bridgestones fitted to it. This may have nothing to do with 'new chain stretch' unless of course the chain and sprockets were swapped out 1000 miles ago rather than the bike being new? So thoughts move to what chain was fitted at what mileage and by whom perhaps? There's more to this story that the OP should add to. Welcome to the forum by the way and very interesting first post!

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
this reminds me of the guy on FB the other year saying the steel sprockets and DID chain were trash because his wore out at 5k.. only to learn his chain adjustments and wheel alignments were off the entire time.

Hzgray

this reminds me of the guy on FB the other year saying the steel sprockets and DID chain were trash because his wore out at 5k.. only to learn his chain adjustments and wheel alignments were off the entire time.
That’s not very “ambassador” like. Maybe his chain was defective? Whatever happened, he could’ve been injured. At the very least there are some lessons learned which we may might never hear due to the vitriol.