When a mouse ruins your day of riding

Zilonis

Yesterday the weather was beautiful here in New England and I had been waiting on a fun day of Sunday riding all week. After taking care of the dogs and some other things in the morning I got all my gear ready then headed out to the garage. Wiped off some bugs from the last ride, checked the chain and tires, Great! Ready to ride!

Start the bike and boom! a mouse EJECTED itself from the airbox landing about 5 feet past the front wheel and then it quickly scurried under the cars. WTH!

Knowing what these little buggers can do I killed the motor immediately, took off my gear and pulled the ol' FTR back into the garage. The pictures below summarize what I found, needless to say I was not thrilled at all. Unfortunately all motorcycle dealers in my area are closed on Sundays and no local auto parts stores carry the replacement air filter.

If anyone has seen or come up with a way to block the air intakes I'm all ears. Might have to fashion some kind of screen to prevent this from happening again. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20220501_160948455.jpg
    PXL_20220501_160948455.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20220501_161538709.jpg
    PXL_20220501_161538709.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 65

edgelett

oh crap!!! seems air filters are great nesting places
problem with mice is they need only the tinyiest hole to get in, way smaller than you think.
Can't say I've ever had a mouse nest in a motorcycle I own, but you never know when it might happen I guess!

American

Damn I clicked this thinking you must live by Orlando as that mouse kills all the traffic and ruins lots of days on a bike!

Great call and just shutting it down and tearing it apart!! Could have just shrugged it off and messed up the engine.