Where did you ride your FTR today?

EllenGtrGrl

Only to and from work, but there's been a lot of rain lately so a dry day is a good excuse to get out on it.
falling in love with the FTR all over again.

View attachment 3706
The same for me Tash.

I installed the new battery last week (the Lithium ion battery made a world of difference for starting the bike), and started to seriously commute on my FTR1200. In a little under an hour I will leave on my FTR1200 for the 25 plus mile (40 km) commute to work (the total commuting distance for the week will be 200 plus miles [320 km] by the end of today - I didn't ride on Monday due to a significant chance of thunderstorms]). Since I leave for work early enough to avoid most rush hour hassles, part of my commute will be on the freeways in the Metro Milwaukee area (I live in one of the outlying Milwaukee suburbs), part of it will be on I-94, and the final legs of the commute will be on the county highways in the next county south of Milwaukee County (Racine County - I work in one of the suburbs of Racine as a Quality Engineer) - I get sick of jousting with idiots on the freeway and interstate (like the semi driver yesterday, who decided that it would be a good idea to change lanes into MY lane, while I was starting to go past him at 80 plus mph [130 kph], forcing me to grab a handful of throttle, to zip past him before he plowed into me). In general, I do a fair amount of my riding on secondary roads.

It's going to be a hot and humid ride home (at least 90F [32C]) with about 90% humidity for the entire day. My ride home is all done on the back roads (unlike the most of the squids I see on their Gixxers, etc., I hate riding on the freeways during rush hour). If it weren't so hot and humid, I'd take the "long way home" - doubling or tripling my trip distance by taking back roads into the counties west of home (I know some lightly used, nice and winding roads, where I can get away with winding up the FTR, and attacking the curves and hills), but I'll be drenched with sweat on my back, due to my backpack, and there is a slight chance of t-storms this afternoon. Once in a while, this "slight chance" becomes significant by the time I leave work, making me anxiously watch a blackening sky while I'm trying to hurry home, to avoid getting soaked by rain (or worse yet get caught out in a supercell severe thunderstorm [which happened in my old BMW R1200R a couple of years ago - the 65 mph [105 kmh] gust front from the storm almost blew me off the road!]). Oh, yeah, and I have to stop for some groceries at a supermarket that's located on my riding route, to get a few things (hence the reason for the backpack [which I also use to carry my lunch for work).

I wonder if the corporate VP who runs our division will pay a visit from the corporate offices in Milwaukee today. He often does that on a Friday, if he's feeling a little bored. He also rides an Indian - though in his case it's one of the 2-wheeled land yachts like a Chieftain or a Roadmaster. He's told me that he's jealous of me for have my nice and sporty FTR! :D

Oh, I forgot to say - nice bike Tash! :cool:

Last edited:

Staedtler

Avons....welcome to the minority, you won't be disappointed. Hope you got them from Tyretec? If not and you got a better deal let me know from where please!
I got them from my ‘local’ tyre shop, Wheelhouse tyres near Coleshill, probably not as good a deal as you got but they could actually get hold of them! (£272 fitted)?

Reactions: K9F

K9F

I dropped the tires off at Moore Speed a couple of days before and rode in, rode out but I am lucky as Moore Speed is only two miles from home. Tyretec were the cheapest I could find and their service exceptional as he even messaged me day after Boxing Day to inquire if I'd ordered the right size due to the unusual sizing on the 2019?

K9F

Back home from the dealership where it truly belongs. Been experiencing start issues that got so profound I became reticent to use it as each time I was beginning to think "Is it today I'm going to need a trailer/recovery van?" Fortunately I had my other steed to fall back on whilst awaiting a new start button assembly that both the dealership and I were convinced was the issue. First case on an FTR they'd heard of. Dropped the bike off yesterday and they swapped out the assembly but the issue was still there. Digital Wrench didn't show anything and no codes on the bike. Decided to leave the bike there and they gave me a ride home.

Got a call this morning and they nailed it. By chance the fan control relay and the start control relays are exactly the same (tiny they are). When they transposed the relays the fault went away. New relay fitted....job done! Wasn't prepared to faff about with it myself as I am fortunate to have a dealership less than two miles from my door and a few months warranty remaining. Got a lift to the dealership by a very amiable forum member who had driven three hours to my house to buy and collect some of my FTR take-offs, he wanted to go and have a look at MSR anyway after collecting the bits, two birds one stone.

Thanks for the lift Stu! :cool:(y)

R. Warshawsky

Took a ride through the Capay Valley on Hwy 16, then up Hwy 20 to Colussa and then home. Few cars and lots of twisties. Happy Saturday to all.

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_102155958_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210612_102155958_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9

Charliemurphay

Back home from the dealership where it truly belongs. Been experiencing start issues that got so profound I became reticent to use it as each time I was beginning to think "Is it today I'm going to need a trailer/recovery van?" Fortunately I had my other steed to fall back on whilst awaiting a new start button assembly that both the dealership and I were convinced was the issue. First case on an FTR they'd heard of. Dropped the bike off yesterday and they swapped out the assembly but the issue was still there. Digital Wrench didn't show anything and no codes on the bike. Decided to leave the bike there and they gave me a ride home.

Got a call this morning and they nailed it. By chance the fan control relay and the start control relays are exactly the same (tiny they are). When they transposed the relays the fault went away. New relay fitted....job done! Wasn't prepared to faff about with it myself as I am fortunate to have a dealership less than two miles from my door and a few months warranty remaining. Got a lift to the dealership by a very amiable forum member who had driven three hours to my house to buy and collect some of my FTR take-offs, he wanted to go and have a look at MSR anyway after collecting the bits, two birds one stone.

Thanks for the lift Stu! :cool:(y)
Out of curiousity what were your symptoms here? I’ve had a couple instances of my bike not cranking when I push the start button. Gear indicators showed neutral light on dash and gauge so didn’t think gear sensor, side stand light is on so didn’t think it was that. It’s just seemingly random when it happens and holding the clutch while pushing it didn’t do anything. It just seemingly would decide to crank after a couple attempts and be fine after. Was thinking maybe the start switch itself is bad.

K9F

Hi Charliemurphay,

That is exactly how mine started randomly and it digressed. I am an electrical engineer and was itching to take it apart and clean it but was advised against it as there is a delicate clip you can break. In the end the fault got worse as mentioned, but it seemed if the start button was held pressed and rocked slightly it would eventually start. I mentioned it at service a few weeks ago and they made a note and ordered a new start switch assembly. It got so irksome I decided not to ride her as I didn't want to have to be recovered. I had already told the dealership if recovery was required it would be coming straight to them and could wait for the parts there.

Symptoms: Ignition on, run switch to on, gauges and lights illuminated ok and fuel pump ran, press the momentary start switch and sometimes she just wouldn't crank and sometimes she would begin to crank for a split fraction of a second and stop. It got a lot worse quite quickly. The morning I took her to the dealership it took me a good 10 minutes faffing about with the switch to get her started. Once at the dealership and shut down Colin Moore tried and on the third press she cranked and fired up. All appears OK now after the relay change and when announcing today "I'm heading home" my mates got great delight in saying "If she starts?"

Charliemurphay

Hi Charliemurphay,

That is exactly how mine started randomly and it digressed. I am an electrical engineer and was itching to take it apart and clean it but was advised against it as there is a delicate clip you can break. In the end the fault got worse as mentioned, but it seemed if the start button was held pressed and rocked slightly it would eventually start. I mentioned it at service a few weeks ago and they made a note and ordered a new start switch assembly. It got so irksome I decided not to ride her as I didn't want to have to be recovered. I had already told the dealership if recovery was required it would be coming straight to them and could wait for the parts there.

Symptoms: Ignition on, run switch to on, gauges and lights illuminated ok and fuel pump ran, press the momentary start switch and sometimes she just wouldn't crank and sometimes she would begin to crank for a split fraction of a second and stop. It got a lot worse quite quickly. The morning I took her to the dealership it took me a good 10 minutes faffing about with the switch to get her started. Once at the dealership and shut down Colin Moore tried and on the third press she cranked and fired up. All appears OK now after the relay change and when announcing today "I'm heading home" my mates got great delight in saying "If she starts?"
Thank you. I may just pick up a new relay and swap them anyways. Good cheap place to start.

vzmechanic

I had a nice little ride this afternoon. Went through Smithfield, VA up route 10 to Hopewell, VA. There I crossed over to route 5 and came back through Colonial Williamsburg.

Attachments

• CBE8E63B-D1D0-4613-9822-0B9D8AD050C5.jpeg
    CBE8E63B-D1D0-4613-9822-0B9D8AD050C5.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11