Where did you ride your FTR today?

mark.lb

100 mile solo rip Saturday on some of my favorite back roads. Did a little “Hog Huntin”. Harleys don’t stand a chance. The last thing they see is Indian Motorcycle on my back as I go by and pull away!

EllenGtrGrl

100 mile solo rip Saturday on some of my favorite back roads. Did a little “Hog Huntin”. Harleys don’t stand a chance. The last thing they see is Indian Motorcycle on my back as I go by and pull away!

That's not hard to do around here, considering that at least 75% of the motorcycles I encounter are Harleys (I live in the Milwaukee Metro area). Unfortunately, most Harley riders around here seem to be allergic to the back roads (which is where I prefer to ride), and mainly hang out on city streets, the freeway, or the Interstate. As a result, playing the "blast past the Harley" game is pretty rare for me - even during my morning commute to work (the only time I ride on the freeways, and I-94), since almost all of them are heading in the opposite direction of me (north towards Milwaukee).

Charliemurphay

Hi Charliemurphay,

That is exactly how mine started randomly and it digressed. I am an electrical engineer and was itching to take it apart and clean it but was advised against it as there is a delicate clip you can break. In the end the fault got worse as mentioned, but it seemed if the start button was held pressed and rocked slightly it would eventually start. I mentioned it at service a few weeks ago and they made a note and ordered a new start switch assembly. It got so irksome I decided not to ride her as I didn't want to have to be recovered. I had already told the dealership if recovery was required it would be coming straight to them and could wait for the parts there.

Symptoms: Ignition on, run switch to on, gauges and lights illuminated ok and fuel pump ran, press the momentary start switch and sometimes she just wouldn't crank and sometimes she would begin to crank for a split fraction of a second and stop. It got a lot worse quite quickly. The morning I took her to the dealership it took me a good 10 minutes faffing about with the switch to get her started. Once at the dealership and shut down Colin Moore tried and on the third press she cranked and fired up. All appears OK now after the relay change and when announcing today "I'm heading home" my mates got great delight in saying "If she starts?"
As an aside, I swapped the start relay and the horn relay while I wait for the new one to show up. Rode a bunch today with multiple stops and starts and the issue hasn’t reappeared once. Thanks for this!

edit: a week later and still no more issues. I’m calling it success

Last edited:

bimotarich

Short lunch time ride, it's rain season here so was dodging the raindrops… down rt 5 here in Japan just out of town… a very twisty technical but short ride, lots of hair pins and Ss, but sadly also some construction today… all in all just 40 minutes in the saddle… but a much needed 40 minutes.

S2Davies

Well the stars aligned yesterday, I had a day off work, the weather was great (25deg C and dry) so went for a bit of an outing. 145 miles in total, I did have a bit of a panic when I couldn't fine a petrol station with the needle covering the "E" on the gauge 😬, but all was good.
I wanted to go for a ride to check out a new suspension set up but some of the roads were a bit rough so the set up was a bit of a bone shaker, so might back it off as a bit as a compromise.
As it happens, the 2 places I chose to stop to get a coffee were both closed, but hey, in the world of bikes, as in life, its all about the journey and not the destination 😁.

Last edited:

edgelett

weather isn't great and the roads were still pretty wet but I got out for a quick ride through Chain of Ponds. It actually used to be a town until the Govt needed to create a dam to help with water supply. so they moved everyone out the city and flooded it. the only part of the town left is the cemetery as it was a little further up the hill.
photos are taken at the Old cemetery car park.

Attachments

• 20210619_135708.jpg
    20210619_135708.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210619_135656.jpg
    20210619_135656.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20210619_135715.jpg
    20210619_135715.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210619_135728.jpg
    20210619_135728.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20210619_135622.jpg
    20210619_135622.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11

edgelett

Tony's Harley is having some issues (battery related) so he's been riding my Hornet to work, which means I've been taking the FTR.
After tweaking the front suspension a bit recently, and several days of riding in peak hour, I'm finding myself a LOT more confident on the bike. Traditionally I always look like a goober trying to leave the house cause our driveway is steep and ends in a spoon drain so rolling down and stopping is very difficult on a tall bike - I can't even park the bike at the bottom of the spoon drain due to the height. But the last few days, I've moved out to the driveway, stopped with 1 foot down so I can activate the roller door, then just rolled right out on to the street and kept going.
I also found riding in traffic easier now the suspension isn't so rigid and bouncy, our roads are AWFUL and full of bumps and holes, and this week it's been a more enjoyable ride.
I've even been filtering a lot more cause I'm generally more confident on the FTR at slower speeds now.
And it's always fun to open the throttle a little when cars decide to try to change lanes on you haha. Scares the crap out of them.

Breto

Tony's Harley is having some issues (battery related) so he's been riding my Hornet to work, which means I've been taking the FTR.
After tweaking the front suspension a bit recently, and several days of riding in peak hour, I'm finding myself a LOT more confident on the bike. Traditionally I always look like a goober trying to leave the house cause our driveway is steep and ends in a spoon drain so rolling down and stopping is very difficult on a tall bike - I can't even park the bike at the bottom of the spoon drain due to the height. But the last few days, I've moved out to the driveway, stopped with 1 foot down so I can activate the roller door, then just rolled right out on to the street and kept going.
I also found riding in traffic easier now the suspension isn't so rigid and bouncy, our roads are AWFUL and full of bumps and holes, and this week it's been a more enjoyable ride.
I've even been filtering a lot more cause I'm generally more confident on the FTR at slower speeds now.
And it's always fun to open the throttle a little when cars decide to try to change lanes on you haha. Scares the crap out of them.
Sweet Tash…glad to hear mate…👍😎

Breto

I hope you had a GoPro on so we all can see!
Sorry man no GoPro but there was a photographer there that came and saw me after the 4th session that said he had some really good shots of the me and the bike in action. He will have them processed in the next couple of days. Watch this space man…👍😎

Staedtler

Mixing it with the linseed on the way back from Gilks’ garage cafe

Attachments

• BFF1FC15-4B54-49B7-B5D6-3F3A47B126C7.jpeg
    BFF1FC15-4B54-49B7-B5D6-3F3A47B126C7.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 6

Breto

CD2012B2-2702-4521-AC80-70BBFDF0FD2D.jpeg
d597e61c-bf31-483b-ae6e-82f53acc09c1-jpeg.3871
6880D3FF-74AE-4AD9-8415-E5CFA6E7DB2F.jpegE21958C5-A65A-4EBC-A502-EB188E973C73.jpeg
A few good ones here and a shot of my mate Jason cranking it.

Attachments

• D597E61C-BF31-483B-AE6E-82F53ACC09C1.jpeg
    D597E61C-BF31-483B-AE6E-82F53ACC09C1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 118

Breto

Great pics!
How did it feel on the track?
With the suspension changes I made in the shed and the RA3’s bloody awesome Tash…Tyre pressures played a massive part in it as well and the combination of both made for a very exciting and enjoyable ride day…it handled superbly and no shortage of grunt. By the forth session I pulled 192 on the main straight. Mind you it was a tap dance and a braking extravaganza into turn one but mate it did really well. I was however outclassed in my class by purpose race bikes on slicks but held my own. They didn’t ask me to go down a class so I was happy running my own race. Let the guys out with slicks and Tyre warmers before I headed out and my first lap in every session was tame until I got some heat into the tyres. The track surface was quite cold as well which did t help to get temps up for me but hey it was awesome. There is a round run by the champions ride days in Adelaide coming up Tash. You should do it mate!!…👍😎