Wondering about handling and fueling

broncoguy27

I've been doing a ton of research since the only time I've actually seen the bike was when I put it down payment on it, and it was raining that day so I didn't ride it.
The only two consistent complaints about the bike are how the stock tires handle on the pre-2021s, and the fueling.
For the average experienced rider, who isn't going to go to crazy on the road, how bad are they in the real world?

mark.lb

You will be fine on the stock tires. I went through 2 sets of the stock Dunlop tires before switching to Bridgestones. They are not bad and they look great on the bike but they wear out quickly. ECM tuning/fueling is a little more variable. I was one of the lucky ones. My bike ran fairly well from the factory. I did not have the bad cold start, surging and shut down mid ride issues some bikes were plagued with. I took delivery in May 2019 and did not get the Lloyd’z V6 tune until my dealership became a RTC in the Spring of 2021. Once tuned however - the bike is a completely different beast. It was definitely worth the $500-$700 dollars. My recommendation: 1) Live with the tires. They are only going to last 2500-3000 miles. Then switch tires if you like. 2) See how your bike actually runs. If you have issues that are unacceptable, then be prepared to spend $500-700 to get the Lloyd’z V6 tune. If you plan to change the exhaust, do it before you get the tune.

broncoguy27

It really depends I think on what you're used to and what you expect. I'm probably not going to be riding much in the wet unless I get caught out in a thunderstorm. But if I don't like how the tires feel on the edges, for a few hundred bucks I can put more Street oriented rubber on it.

edgelett

It really depends I think on what you're used to and what you expect. I'm probably not going to be riding much in the wet unless I get caught out in a thunderstorm. But if I don't like how the tires feel on the edges, for a few hundred bucks I can put more Street oriented rubber on it.
I don't go out riding in thunderstorms, but I do like to ride year round as much as I can.
I never deliberately go riding in the rain. but sometimes the roads are still wet after rain, especially in the twisties, and the dunlops made me feel like I was going to slide out at any moment.

FTR London

I found that the DT3s were actually reasonably capable in the dry and look great. I really don't mind a bike moving around under me, but in the wet they are worryingly unpredictable and horribly vague. The Continental Road Attacks are somewhat of a religion on this forum, with the difference being that the belief and faith in them is well founded and evidenced. There is simply no comparison to the OEM tyres, I fitted the Conti IIIs to my '19 and can absolutely understand why they are considered to be the optimum tyre for this bike. I loved them - precise, sharp handling, responsive and loads of feel instilling very high levels of confidence. Binned them simply because they are completely incongruous with the look that I want for this bike, but if it's a road going orientation that you favour then in my opinion, they are a complete no-brainer. Brilliant tyres.

broncoguy27

I don't go out riding in thunderstorms, but I do like to ride year round as much as I can.
I never deliberately go riding in the rain. but sometimes the roads are still wet after rain, especially in the twisties, and the dunlops made me feel like I was going to slide out at any moment.
Back before kids and before I had my job traveling, I rode year round unless the roads had ice or snow on them in New england. These days, most of my riding will be to the store for milk or something like that. Nothing turns me into a wimp faster than low traction conditions on a motorcycle of any sort.

broncoguy27

I found that the DT3s were actually reasonably capable in the dry and look great. I really don't mind a bike moving around under me, but in the wet they are worryingly unpredictable and horribly vague. The Continental Road Attacks are somewhat of a religion on this forum, with the difference being that the belief and faith in them is well founded and evidenced. There is simply no comparison to the OEM tyres, I fitted the Conti IIIs to my '19 and can absolutely understand why they are considered to be the optimum tyre for this bike. I loved them - precise, sharp handling, responsive and loads of feel instilling very high levels of confidence. Binned them simply because they are completely incongruous with the look that I want for this bike, but if it's a road going orientation that you favour then in my opinion, they are a complete no-brainer. Brilliant tyres.
If I can possibly stand the factory tires for a while, I'll hold off and then get those.

broncoguy27

Thank you very much, did they get the handling of the bike closer to what you would expect out of a relatively modern naked bike? I understand that I'm not getting a full-on high performance hypernaked here, and I'm pretty sure I don't care.

FTR London

Thank you very much, did they get the handling of the bike closer to what you would expect out of a relatively modern naked bike? I understand that I'm not getting a full-on high performance hypernaked here, and I'm pretty sure I don't care.
And I wouldn't care if I were you - it's the comparable performance of tyres relative the the FTR that is the important thing here, not other motorcycles. But to answer your question, yes, the FTR is surprisingly nimble and sharp when properly shod with the correct rubber. Ride it with the OEM tyres then switch to the Continentals - you will be astounded by the difference it makes. The three things I'd recommend anyone immediately does with a stock '19 is sort the fuelling, (as explained, not a cheap fix but worth every penny), change the tyres and shorten the side stand.

broncoguy27

And I wouldn't care if I were you - it's the comparable performance of tyres relative the the FTR that is the important thing here, not other motorcycles. But to answer your question, yes, the FTR is surprisingly nimble and sharp when properly shod with the correct rubber. Ride it with the OEM tyres then switch to the Continentals - you will be astounded by the difference it makes. The three things I'd recommend anyone immediately does with a stock '19 is sort the fuelling, (as explained, not a cheap fix but worth every penny), change the tyres and shorten the side stand.
Thank you, I'm planning on doing the fueling, but I'd like to be able to ride it for a few months first, same with the tires. If I can spread it out over 3-4 months,. It'll be a little easier.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
They weren’t too bad. Mine only lasted 1500 miles.

throwing on a set of sport touring tires completely changes the bike for the better though.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Just move to a 160/60 rear tire. And stock size Front. And the tire selections get much better.