CharlieMurphays FTR

FTR London

Well….shit happened. SUV merged into me as I was passing it. Forced me onto the shoulder and I lost the front and down I went. Stay safe folks, my gear did it’s job and after sliding and rolling down the freeway at 70mph I just had a few bruises. The FTR is down for awhile while the local Lloydz dealer is getting her fixed up. All things considered damage isn’t terrible. Frame and axle sliders took the brunt of the damage.
I’ll be happy if I have her back by end of August.View attachment 6641View attachment 6642View attachment 6643View attachment 6644View attachment 6645View attachment 6648View attachment 6650
If it's any consolation - still such a nice looking bike irrespective of the damage. You are harder to fix up, so pleased to hear that you emerged pretty much unscathed.

Charliemurphay

If it's any consolation - still such a nice looking bike irrespective of the damage. You are harder to fix up, so pleased to hear that you emerged pretty much unscathed.
Thank you. I give a lot of credit to my airbag jacket which worked flawlessly. Expensive at the time but seems really cheap now compared to the potential medical stuff it saved me from.

Charliemurphay

oh shite - glad you're not badly hurt. Hopefully insurance sort you out quickly & you're back on the road soon
They’ve already cut me a check for the repair estimate and shop started ordering parts today. Like I said I’ll be happy if it’s back before end of August as I typically ride into early November.

Helge

Good that you´ve had a airbag jacket on (like me at my crash last February) and you´re ok 👍
The damaged mechanical things on your FTR are peanuts and can be fixed.

American

Enjoyed re reading your build thread. Sorry to see the accident but glad you’re ok!
Where are you based out of?

mark.lb

So sorry to here about your crash. The Lord was watching over you that day. Once you are on the ground anyone can easily hit you. Especially on a freeway. Don’t worry about the bike. It can and will be fixed. I can’t wait to see a picture of you and the bike on the day you get her back!

( I crashed October 2, 2019. I spent 4 weeks in the hospital with too many broken bones to count. This is me picking up the bike in November 2019. If you look close I still have casts on both arms. My son-in-laws had to ride the bike home for me.)
6BA1CE1C-B45D-4651-966D-21E80539F083.jpeg

Charliemurphay

Well the FTR is finally in the shop and being wrenched on. All the necessary parts have showed up. They found a couple more damaged bits they are gonna replace but everything was in stock so should be no significant delay. Hoping to have it back sometime next week.

In other news, I bought it a friend!
0EDB0708-0616-450D-97F2-38EE655C44FC.jpeg
My best friend and I put deposits down on matching Desert Sleds back in May and they both showed up this week. Funny enough, his is a 2022 and mine is a 2023. They are separated by 78 VIN numbers so his was one of the last ‘22’s and mine one of the first ‘23’s. Also hoping to pick it up sometime next week as some assembly is still required.

Charliemurphay

Shes home….
19D8E44F-3DD4-45EC-9032-8F1F1A0F169F.jpeg
The dealer put her back together as a general idea, but its now up to me to put her back together actually.

I have to say, while they overall did ok work, it was….sloppy in the details. For example I had a black headlight fairing and they put a silver one on. And nobody noticed. Well anyways shes back home and I’m into it putting my detailed touch on it to get it back to what it was pre-accident. I’m just happy its back home.
Changes made to some damaged parts are its now running Rizoma MA006 handlebars as the stock Pro Tapers were on back order til December. I also opted to have them put on Scout bar end mirrors instead of another set of Wunderkinds. Also running Puig vintage frame sliders now as the RSD ones are unobtanium as everyone knows. Back to the stock footpegs as the RSD ones are also unable to be found. Ill probably just have the stock ones powder coated black when I take the exhaust heat shields in for the same treatment over winter.

Last edited:

mark.lb

Shes home….
View attachment 7033
The dealer put her back together as a general idea, but its now up to me to put her back together actually.

I have to say, while they overall did ok work, it was….sloppy in the details. For example I had a black headlight fairing and they put a silver one on. And nobody noticed. Well anyways shes back home and I’m into it putting my detailed touch on it to get it back to what it was pre-accident. I’m just happy its back home.
Changes made to some damaged parts are its now running Rizoma MA006 handlebars as the stock Pro Tapers were on back order til December. I also opted to have them put on Scout bar end mirrors instead of another set of Wunderkinds.
She looks great - even with the silver headlight fairing. You have a stretch of beautiful weather coming Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Stillwater - Have fun riding this weekend!

Charliemurphay

She looks great - even with the silver headlight fairing. You have a stretch of beautiful weather coming Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Stillwater - Have fun riding this weekend!
I already took the solver fairing back and had them order a black one. They at least admitted to the mess up, new one should be in in a week roughly. In the meantime I’ll just ride these couple days sans fairing lol.image.jpg
Ive got all the parts they replaced back too. So I’ve got some nice garage art 😂

Charliemurphay

must feel awesome to have it home again :)
Ive been riding the Desert Sled a lot til now and when I rode the FTR home I had to put it in standard as I had completely forgot how sensitive the throttle is and it wanted to buck me off in sport 😂. I had forgotten how much I love this bike. The little 10 minute ride home made me remember real quick.

Charliemurphay

Well, I’ve finally put some miles on the bike this year after the lackluster number of miles last year after the slide. Over winter I had the new exhaust shields powder coated and the stock footpegs as well due to a lack of RSD pegs. Also picked up some new Gilles bling (Rad Cap and Oil Cap). Samco hoses are probably gonna be next.

IMG_7594.jpeg
IMG_7595.jpeg
IMG_7598.jpeg
IMG_7596.jpeg
Added the RSD engine cover too
IMG_7599.jpeg
IMG_7602.jpeg
The two steeds. FTR is still my main squeeze. The Ducati is hell of a lot of fun though.

Last edited: