MotoGP

FTR London

Zarco will get a long lap penalty.

Let's see who gets some of those references.
One of the most amusing things I've ever seen him do was the LLP at Brno which astonishingly he seemed to negotiate at race speed. I wonder if we'll ever see the back flip again? He's come close several times.

edgelett

Qualifying results:

Top 10:
1. Jorge Martin (Pramac Racing) – 1:53.011
2. Enea Bastianini (Gresini Racing MotoGP™) + 0.147
3. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team) + 0.272
4. Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.287
5. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing) + 0.308
6. Pol Espargaro (Repsol Honda Team) + 0.335
7. Brad Binder (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.339
8. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.396
9. Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.400
10. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.470

FTR London

Bastianini, Binder, Espargaró - if anyone predicted that I'll eat my FTR, particularly after the ominous shot across the bow from Ducati at the end of last season and the GP22 waiting in the wings.

'Beast' of a win. That one's for Fausto. Who saw that coming? Great to see Tardozzi and Ciabatti straight into the Gresini garage to offer their congratulations after a disastrous day for factory Ducati. Congratulations on a maiden win to La Bestia. Very cool ride.

That'll feel as good as a win for KTM at one of their weakest tracks. We knew from FP1 that they were at a competitive level. Shame about Olivera. You just know that Binder still felt he could win that. Disappointing for Yamaha at one of their strongest.

As the last test suggested, that Honda has finally been de-Marcified. Pol able to ride it to his preference with his reliance on the back brake no longer compromising front end stability and feel. Saying he still needs more understanding of the bike and the soft front and rear cost him at the end. Aleix snapping at his heels on a vastly improved all new Aprilia. Possibly the hardest working rider in the paddock. How good was that to see?

Have to feel for Martin, although Pecco wasn't to blame.

Suzuki massively improved in terms of straight line speed.

Lowes gifted for the podium in Moto 2 and how desperately unlucky was Ayumu Sasaki in Moto3?

Very entertaining first weekend of the season.

edgelett

Just caught up on last night's race - wow what an amazing victory, so happy for Bastianini and the Gresini team after losing Fausto in 2021. Great to see Brad Binder on the podium again too, and Remy G did pretty good for his first full time ride.
Gutted for Miller though.

edgelett

This is frustrating - MotoGP Unlimited isn't being shown in Aus due to issues with Murdoch owning all the MotoGP rights and therefore Amazon Prime can't show it here, and he's choosing not to show it at all.
I heard there were serious issues with shitty English overdubs but that's been fixed now for other countries.
Really annoying.

Sullaha

So what are the predictions for Mandalika folks? Will 'The Beast' back up his Qatar triumph? Will Marquez figure out the new friendly Honda and disappear?
Is the track going to stay intact or will riders need flak jackets to survive the weekend? All bets are off on this one, I can't wait!

FTR London

After overheating was a concern from the pre-season testing, grip appears to be the major issue for the premier class this weekend. Whether that isn't helped by Michelin's 'special' heat resistant casing is anyone's guess. But no soft options this weekend.

Good to see Quartararo bounce back after a forgettable outing at Losail. Both factory Ducatis outqualified by their Pramac counterparts. Meanwhile, Brad Binder continues to impress. Both factory Hondas very deep on the grid.

Really looking forward to this one.

edgelett

Missed moto3 as I was out, caught Moto2 what a race by Chantra! Great win, first Thai rider to ever win a race. Well done.

MM ruled out of MotoGP due to a concussion sustained after a huge high side in warm up. I Don't think he'll return to form this year.

FTR London

Hard to say whether Miller has legitimate grounds for his criticism of Quartararo. Couldn't see anything wrong, yet despite Fabio's retort that he "better watch the TV", I'm in an armchair not on the bike and Jack felt that it was an overly aggressive pass (which is a tad rich). Great ride from Quatararo, a circuit that not only suits the Yamaha with the absence of long straights, but affords plenty of grip.

Good to see Olivera back after a difficult spell. I want to see a KTM on the block every race weekend now.

Zarco edging ever closer to that Premier Class backflip.

Superb battle for 8th - have to admit it, Darryn Binder looks very comfortable and suited to a MotoGP bike.

Great stuff from Chantra, but pissed about Dixon. Punishment really didn't fit the crime. Showed his formidable pace though.

Yet to watch Moto3.

FTR London

That Marquez crash in warmup was the nastiest highside I can recall since Lorenzo at Shanghai. Horrendous. Four crashes this weekend. Jerez 2020 really does increasingly look like it was the end of an era.

edgelett

That Marquez crash in warmup was the nastiest highside I can recall since Lorenzo at Shanghai. Horrendous. Four crashes this weekend. Jerez 2020 really does increasingly look like it was the end of an era.
ruling him unfit to race was the right decision, it was a blooddy horrific crash.

Max Kool

Shouldn’t he just take a full season off? Instead of retrying every few races pretending he’s fit. Or heck, take a year SS600 or something.

He reminds me too much of the dude I was in my late 20’s (when people said I rode as if I had a death wish). Not good. 😕

cupcake_mike

Shouldn’t he just take a full season off? Instead of retrying every few races pretending he’s fit. Or heck, take a year SS600 or something.

He reminds me too much of the dude I was in my late 20’s (when people said I rode as if I had a death wish). Not good. 😕

I mean, he basically took the whole of '20 off, he only rode in a couple races, plus he took the first couple races of 21 off (plus he missed a race or 2 during the season, I believe). In total, due to the covid lockdown pushing the season, I believe he was out something like 18 months in total.

Nobody complained about his "death wish" riding when he was racking up podiums. I don't believe his style has really changed that much, just getting older and he can't do it as well (yeah, he's 29, I know). Kind of like all the other riders, after about 10 years, for the most part, injuries start to creep in and everybody else (younger) raises the competition to a new level.

I've only been watching MotoGP for about 20 years, so the sun kind of rises and sets with Rossi, as far as riders to emulate when it comes to a long career in the business. Pretty much the same things happened with him as is happening now with marquez (domination, injuries, mediocore results, domination, mediocore results, etc), I think Marc is in the middle of that life cycle now. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a champion again within a couple years...might just need to follow that lead and swap to a different manufacturer :)

Webby

I think Marc will win again but I don't think he'll ever be champion again. He has too much up and coming competition I mean the young guns were running 3 wide in a corner in the rain last weekend for Pete sake! 93 dosent have the guts for that anymore. Of course it's a long season and much can happen and I'm on the Bagnaia (a VR46 Rider) wagon so we got work to do.

I've been a Rossi fan and thus not so much a Marquez fan although I have lobbied COTA that they should rename it Circuit Of The Ameriquez! 😁 I'm excited even though we just dont have much data yet to say who's hot and who's not. Argentina may not help us figure it out either but there are 10 riders within 10 points of 1st place....AND we got a badly need new track surface at COTA and I'm pumped to see it.

edgelett

Nobody complained about his "death wish" riding when he was racking up podiums.
quite a few people did actually. his riding style has always been win it or bin it, he tended to never want to settle for points if he wasn't going to be on the podium.

I really respect him as a talented rider, but I worry the last 2 years of injuries and quite a few serious blows to the head haven't taken their toll on him.

cupcake_mike

quite a few people did actually. his riding style has always been win it or bin it, he tended to never want to settle for points if he wasn't going to be on the podium.

I really respect him as a talented rider, but I worry the last 2 years of injuries and quite a few serious blows to the head haven't taken their toll on him.

Yeah, I know that some people didn't like his style since he started, the point was it gets overlooked when you're stacking trophys and is called a liability when you aren't.

Walrus

Most remarkable thing about that crash was he walked away.
This is a tribute to the new airbag track suits, IMO. They are a major safety advance. Believe they are now mandatory for AMA races, but still optional for CCS, which is what I race. I also use a mesh D-Air vest when I ride. Would encourage everyone to look into the technology - regardless of brand - and adopt it as soon as you can afford.
Is a game changer and a lifesaver.
I had a similar highside nine years ago at Jennings raceway in Florida. Broke my collar bone and four ribs. Wouldn't have happened with the suit.