Motorcycle Mods That Make You Shake Your Head

EllenGtrGrl

Maybe I"m being a stick in the mud, but after the little stunt I saw another rider perform, during my commute to work on my FTR this morning, I felt I'd bring this up in a thread. It basically covers all motorcycles, hence the reason why I posted in this section of the forum:

When I make my morning commute, to save time I take the Interstate (I-894 and I-94), it's early enough (about 6:30 am or so) that traffic isn't a pain, and I can rider faster, saving time for my commute. Well, this morning, I was running a little late, so I was riding a bit on the spirited side (80-85mph/129-137kph), to avoid being too late to work (I'm a salaried employee, so it's not the end of the world if I'm a little late, but I prefer not to be too late). About 3 miles/4.8 km from the exit of off I-94, to the 4 lane state highway, that goes to my workplace, I was passed by a rider on Gixxer, who was doing 100-110 mph/161-177 kph. I won't lie, I've had a few times, where I've been on the wrong side of 100 mph on my FTR, but it's been on roads that were pretty empty. Traffic was starting to get on the heavy side on I-94, and this rider was weaving in and out of traffic at a speed that made me look like I was standing still. This itself was not a very wise thing to do, but what really made me shake my head was mod the Gixxer had - the extra long swingarm that drag bikes have. All I could think to myself, was "way to go! you had to ruin your bike's handling (with a drag bike-style swingarm (IMO motorcycles become useless for anything other than straight line stuff with that kind of a swingarm), to look like a "bad ass drag racer!"

Photo of a Gixxer with a Dragbike Swingarm
1658846897444.png

Are there any motorcycle mods that make you shake your head (ape hanger bars, etc._?

Last edited:

Face It

Straight pipes
It doesn't take too long to stand in a small town along the river before you realize they are a nuisance.
And that includes headers to a shorty can.

FTR London

Are there any motorcycle mods that make you shake your head (ape hanger bars, etc._?
On a supposed road going flat track racer? - yes plenty. Perhaps best not to go there again.

My absolute favourite and most cherished moment on this forum though was when one member replied saying 'sounds like you bought the wrong motorcycle' when I had suggested that stock, it could look more like the above. :ROFLMAO:

all of these lol.
they really fricking annoy me. pointless mods that not only do nothing, they look shit too.
I find the skull paraphernalia particularly amusing.

Webby

"On a supposed road going flat track racer? - yes plenty. Perhaps best not to go there again."

Yes let's not!

I've seen many things on motos I would not do personally but absolutely support the biker code which states "You ride your ride and let others ride theirs" I'm way more amazed at the biker snobs who think they're the only ones with a lock on what's proper on two wheels. In fact I love to see very well done "wow that's crazy lookin" rides. Now if their mods are ghetto duct tape and bailing wired together or if a biker tells me his stretched out swing arm bike will corner better than mine I'll definitely be challenging their bike prowess.

I'm different than most people as I see someone and wonder what similarities we share over what differences which seems a foreign concept today.

FTR London

I've seen many things on motos I would not do personally but absolutely support the biker code which states "You ride your ride and let others ride theirs"
Eh? What code would that be? There is no such 'biker code', just internet nonsense.

Motorcyclists are entirely at liberty to pass comment on other biker's modifications, be that tasseled bar ends or a top box on a Gixxer thou. Quite frankly, it would be weirder if you didn't.

Not everyone will agree with the alterations I've made to my FTR and I don't expect them to or have any objections to them vocalising them. As we've said before on this forum, "to each their own" - live and let live, but that doesn't mean you are obliged to comply by some made up code that compels you to reserve your judgement.

MrEd

Ok, how about a 300 series rear tire on pretty much any bike other than a bosshoss. Looks horrendous on both a cruiser and sport bikes alike plus kills handling. Same goes for 26” front wheels