Motorcycle Mods That Make You Shake Your Head

FTR London

The 15ftlbs of torque you gain with the full system isn’t a justification. It’s a fact. Same as it’s A fact you loose mid range when you delete the cat with a stock header.
I'd also add that there's also the appreciable weight saving associated with the aftermarket system and the binning of the 3.9kg cat - in addition to the fact, that it's also far more aesthetically pleasing. The main negative for me is the implications for emissions.

MilwDave

Apes are tops on my list but I will add giant front wheels, open (or obnoxiously loud) exhaust, bazillion watt stereos packed into saddle bags, extended swingarms, cobbled garage mods, windscreens the size of a sheet of plywood, overstuffed saddles……
I could go on and on but hey, to each his or her own. As long as people enjoy motorcycles and are out riding safely on two wheels we are all coming out ahead.

FTR London

Yeah well I like my gremlin bell…was a gift as they all should be, anyway it’s on my Thruxton so never mind 😂👍
Just out of interest - you're not actually superstitious are you? and believe that it affords protection or acts as a lucky charm to the rider? I've often wondered how people reconcile these beliefs with being T boned at a junction.

Breto

It’s part of the motorcycling legend mate. That’s how potholes in the road are created. Legend has it that all mechanical gremlins are attracted to the ringing. They get trapped inside the bell. The constant ringing makes them mental and they fall out of the bell onto the road. Hence the potholes. Besides as I said they have to be gifted. You can’t buy your own and fit it. It won’t do anything. Superstitious? Mmmm maybe. I’ve said before in a previous post about peoples different hoodoos. It’s just one of the things I like about motorcycling. It’s all about friendship and good times. Personally I have two St. Christopher medals. One given to me by my wife on our wedding day and one given to me by my daughter. I never ride without them. But as I always say that’s just me…👍

FTR London

It’s part of the motorcycling legend mate. That’s how potholes in the road are created. Legend has it that all mechanical gremlins are attracted to the ringing. They get trapped inside the bell. The constant ringing makes them mental and they fall out of the bell onto the road. Hence the potholes. Besides as I said they have to be gifted. You can’t buy your own and fit it. It won’t do anything. Superstitious? Mmmm maybe. I’ve said before in a previous post about peoples different hoodoos. It’s just one of the things I like about motorcycling. It’s all about friendship and good times. Personally I have two St. Christopher medals. One given to me by my wife on our wedding day and one given to me by my daughter. I never ride without them. But as I always say that’s just me…👍
Speak for yourself. Not part of any 'motorcycling legend; I'm aware of or subscribe to mate.

Right, thanks for that all the same.

So given that you might be superstitious, are you saying that a properly installed 'gremlin bell', gifted from another magically affords the rider with some mystical protection?

Perhaps they should be OEM parts 'gifted' by the factories as a safety feature?

Piccione

Well, I did'nt know anything about Gremlin Bells and the legend about them, but last year, when I bought my FTR, a friend of mine (he's an english guy by the way...) gave me one as a gift and told me about the legend around these bells. I am not superstitiuos and of course I don't really belive that the bell can be useful against gremlins, but I was really happy to install the bell, that now is proudly ringing under my beautiful engine.
I am very happy with it because it reminds me a good friend of mine and also because this legend is really romantic! In any case it wan't do any bad .... do you agree? ;)

FTR London

Well, I did'nt know anything about Gremlin Bells and the legend about them, but last year, when I bought my FTR, a friend of mine (he's an english guy by the way...) gave me one as a gift and told me about the legend around these bells. I am not superstitiuos and of course I don't really belive that the bell can be useful against gremlins, but I was really happy to install the bell, that now is proudly ringing under my beautiful engine.
I am very happy with it because it reminds me a good friend of mine and also because this legend is really romantic! In any case it wan't do any bad .... do you agree? ;)
Unless it falls off and twats your oil cooler on the bounce.

D

Deleted member 706

Fucking Gremlins got me tonight, flat tyre on the freeway on the way home from work 🙄
IMG_20220728_231312.jpg

Breto

Speak for yourself. Not part of any 'motorcycling legend; I'm aware of or subscribe to mate.

Right, thanks for that all the same.

So given that you might be superstitious, are you saying that a properly installed 'gremlin bell', gifted from another magically affords the rider with some mystical protection?

Perhaps they should be OEM parts 'gifted' by the factories as a safety feature?
I’m sorry…did you major in being a complete wanker at school or did you just form your jaded opinions naturally mate? You obviously haven’t been around motorcycles all your life. I’m not saying anything about mystical protection. Just relaying the legend. Thanks for for negativity all the same.

Staedtler

The 15ftlbs of torque you gain with the full system isn’t a justification. It’s a fact. Same as it’s A fact you loose mid range when you delete the cat with a stock header.
I’m well aware of the claims, but that’s not the justification I was referring to.
But then this thread is very much a personal opinion, and that is mine

FTR London

I’m sorry…did you major in being a complete wanker at school or did you just form your jaded opinions naturally mate? You obviously haven’t been around motorcycles all your life. I’m not saying anything about mystical protection. Just relaying the legend. Thanks for for negativity all the same.
Whoa! Calm down...I was only having a laugh. No negativity or jaded opinions at all. I do think that superstition and bells are complete bollocks though if that's allowed? And actually, yes I have been around motorcycles for most of my life. I learnt to ride off-road at an early age on a farm where only the cows wore bells not the bikes. Cheers.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I’m well aware of the claims, but that’s not the justification I was referring to.
But then this thread is very much a personal opinion, and that is mine
It’s not a claim. It’s fact that’s been proven a few times with dyno sheets posted here.