Some New FTR News.... perhaps

kiwi dave

Just today I paid AU$100 for a pair of spools for the top windshield mount on my Indian Chief, (the bottom ones are already present). Plus AU$40 for courier charges. Hopefully they will accept the small screen I just purchased a couple of days ago.

cupcake_mike

If you purchased in 2019 - You had the unique experience of riding the first American sport bike for 3 years! Mine still gets looks when I park somewhere. Most motorcyclists have never seen one....

Lol, the first mass produced sport bike was released about 30ish years ago. Besides, I wouldn't really call an FTR a sportbike.

mark.lb

Cupcake_mike: You missed a key word in my statement - “American”.
Harley took a shot with the XR1200 from 2008-2012. In 1983 Eric Buell a ex Harley Davidson engineer started his own company in Wisconsin and it was acquired by Harley in 1993. In 2009 Harley announced the discontinuation of the Buell product line. (It lived on privately after Harley) I know some smaller American companies have manufactured “sport” bikes and some still do.
When I learned Indian (Polaris) was going to take a shot at a American made “sport” bike in the fall of 2018, I went to an Indian dealership and put a deposit down. I was not disappointed. I took delivery of my FTR-RR in May 2019.
We can argue about whether or not the FTR 1200 fits your definition of “sport” bike but it is most definitely the fist mass produced American manufactured motorcycle that fits in the “sport” category, especially with the announcement of the 2022 model with 17 inch wheels and street only tires.

mark.lb

Max - According to MarketWatch the 2022 FTRs will be shipped to dealerships in the spring of 2021, a few months from now.EF296D40-17CB-47E8-B0D3-E5A71A5542F6.jpeg

cupcake_mike

Cupcake_mike: You missed a key word in my statement - “American”.
Harley took a shot with the XR1200 from 2008-2012. In 1983 Eric Buell a ex Harley Davidson engineer started his own company in Wisconsin and it was acquired by Harley in 1993. In 2009 Harley announced the discontinuation of the Buell product line. (It lived on privately after Harley) I know some smaller American companies have manufactured “sport” bikes and some still do.
When I learned Indian (Polaris) was going to take a shot at a American made “sport” bike in the fall of 2018, I went to an Indian dealership and put a deposit down. I was not disappointed. I took delivery of my FTR-RR in May 2019.
We can argue about whether or not the FTR 1200 fits your definition of “sport” bike but it is most definitely the fist mass produced American manufactured motorcycle that fits in the “sport” category, especially with the announcement of the 2022 model with 17 inch wheels and street only tires.

Weird, I thought Wisconsin was in America and therefore Buell was an American company that mass produced American bikes (more than 1k bikes a year) since the early 90s, out of East Troy, Wi. The vast majority of these bikes had 17" wheels and street tires, since that's all it takes to make a sport bike (according to you).

Guess I was wrong. Somebody should probably tell the people of Wisconsin they aren't Americans, though.

Last edited:

Greg

Just wondering, the money you would loose in pissing about, sales/part x against the 2022 version?? Might aswell just buy the 17” BST Carbon wheels, I prefer the extra Suspension travel of the earlier version on the road so I think I’d go down that route if I ever fancied a change.

Max Kool

@Greg My thoughts as well, or try to retrofit a pair of 17" wheels from the new model (which are not a straight bolt on, as the front ABS sensor has changed).

mark.lb

Cupcake_mike: I am in complete agreement.
The Harley Buell and EBR Motorcycles were indeed great American sport bikes. They obviously still have a very loyal following to this day! I consider Buell/EBR post Harley-Davidson to be more of a American specialty bike. Similar to the ARCH Motorcycles that Keanu Reeves is associated with, without the ridiculous price.
Please educate me on what constitutes a sport bike. Obviously I don’t know......

Last edited:

Max Kool

Max - According to MarketWatch the 2022 FTRs will be shipped to dealerships in the spring of 2021, a few months from now.
Yeah I know, I still recall my FTR in 2019. They were shipping in spring, I got the first RR they sold in June...

J0988

I think I feel a lot like most...some positives some negatives. One of my many flaws, especially pertaining to motorcycles, is I’m very much a form over function person. As much as I love the FTR 1200, I’m one of those who wish Indian would’ve gone more FTR 750 and less Ducati Monster with the design. This new bike is definitely beautiful, but it’s even further from FTR 750 and closer to a standard naked bike. I’m also surprised there’s not more upset about the cat being welded to the header. Wouldn’t surprise me if Indian was forced to do this to meet emissions standards, but anyone who wants to delete the cat will have to cut a much bigger check.

It does seem like you get a little more ‘bang for your buck’ with these new models. Good on Polaris for that. There are some summer days that rear-cylinder deactivation would be really nice. Sounds like they possibly dealt with the cold stalling issue as well.

Last edited:

Staedtler

I think I feel a lot like most...some positives some negatives. One of my many flaws, especially pertaining to motorcycles, is I’m very much a form over function person. As much as I love the FTR 1200, I’m one of those who wish Indian would’ve gone more FTR 750 and less Ducati Monster with the design. This new bike is definitely beautiful, but it’s even further from FTR 750 and closer to a standard naked bike. I’m also surprised there’s not more upset about the cat being welded to the header. Wouldn’t surprise me if Indian was forced to do this to meet emissions standards, but anyone who wants to delete the cat will have to cut a much bigger check.

It does seem like you get a little more ‘bang for your buck’ with these new models. Good on Polaris for that. There are some summer days that rear-cylinder deactivation would be really nice. Sounds like they possibly dealt with the cold stalling issue as well.
Apparently Euro5 emissions are stipulating minimal exhaust leaks (except for the big one out the back), so taking a joint out of the system helps to achieve that...

cupcake_mike

Cupcake_mike: I am in complete agreement.
The Harley Buell and EBR Motorcycles were indeed great American sport bikes. They obviously still have a very loyal following to this day! I consider Buell/EBR post Harley-Davidson to be more of a American specialty bike. Similar to the ARCH Motorcycles that Keanu Reeves is associated with, without the ridiculous price.
Please educate me on what constitutes a sport bike. Obviously I don’t know......

I get what you are saying, because it's not like buells or ebrs are commonly seen, at least to me. But, buell and ebr combined have sold about 140-150k bikes, likely more than Polaris ever has? No clue, since, to my knowledge they don't release those numbers. A boutique brand like arch has more likely sold a 100 or less. Some "chopper shops" in the late 90s/ early 2000s eclipsed that number. Buell had probably 20ish different models over their run, most all i would consider sport bikes, certainly more than indian with one solitary model release.

Max Kool

Apparently Euro5 emissions are stipulating minimal exhaust leaks (except for the big one out the back), so taking a joint out of the system helps to achieve that...
I think there’s a whole other reason for this.

They rerouted the headers to free up ground clearance and there simply is no room for a big round connection anymore. The connection to the cat is squashed flat, oval.

IMG_0001.png

Imho this has nothing to with Euro 5, and everything with gaining back some ground clearance after they lowered it.

Last edited: