Super Shox

Max Kool

I don't think they're bad. They just serve to a cruiser audience that wants a lower seat height on their HD while keeping good suspension.

I wonder if that's your typical FTR rider. Serious, the stock FTR "S" shock is really not bad.

Unless of course, you want to lower your FTR. Just don't believe the claim of 1" lower AND 1" more suspension travel. C'est impossible...

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No problem. I know when super shox was advertising this on the Facebook group they avoided questions about valving and adjustment. There reply was always “it’s better than stock” well how is it better? If you can’t adjust it, or have it sprung/valved for your weight and riding style.

it looks like they just got some measurements and took a shock off their shelf and marketed it for the ftr

Mlazarus

So I decided to try the Super Shox. My commute is a mix of freeway, surface streets, back road curves, and dirt roads of sometimes questionable quality. The factory shock on the base model is decent however if I could have gotten the Ohlin's for the 50 percent off, that would be a "no brainer." The easy adjustability of the Super Shox, coupled with the lower stance was appealing. Installation was straight forward. I used a floor jack to slightly lift the bike. The only trouble came with removing the spring from the factory shock. I didn't have a spring compressor so I had to muscle it.
The shock itself seems well made. The scale makes adjustments easy enough and easy to return to a desired setting.
It absolutely lowered the seat height. Where I was on the balls of my feet before, I can almost flat foot both feet.
I meant to get measurements of seat height, wheel base, and trail before and after. I forgot to get the before measurements so if someone has a base model and collects that data, I can post the revised data for comparison.
0321211510a_HDR.jpg

Mlazarus

Did you lower the front too by pulling the forks up through the triples?
No. I haven't touched the front forks. The matter is odd, because the seat is slightly lower but I don't believe that the wheel base changed appreciably. The shock itself is slightly shorter than stock and I had to bring the subframe down (or the swing arm up) maybe 1/2 inch to install the new shock. I can't speak to the function of the shock yet because I didn't ride it much after replacing the base unit. I can't imagine it compares to the Ohlin's but may eclipse the base model.

Max Kool

A different shock doesn’t change the wheelbase, you just lowered the rear of the bike by half an inch or more (depending on where you measured).

Wheelbase is center to center, and you haven’t changed that.

Mlazarus

A different shock doesn’t change the wheelbase, you just lowered the rear of the bike by half an inch or more (depending on where you measured).

Wheelbase is center to center, and you haven’t changed that.
I agree. But I did mean to measure and confirm. In the end, the riding will tell me all I want to know about how I spent my money. And I may not be informed enough or dialed in enough to make much of an informed opinion.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It’s an inch. It lowers it about an inch. It’s how they advertised it. You need to lower your front now to keep the same geometry, And stability

Mlazarus

So I finally had a chance to ride the bike with the new Super Shox. I only rode about 30 miles. I rode on a freeway that has a very bumpy #1 lane. So much that when I ride my Ducati I usually prefer the slow lane to the crappy, bumpy one. On the FTR today it was actually tolerable. The ride was definitely more comfortable. I also ran up a nearby canyon. I didn't try pushing the speed but the bike felt very stable and planted. I'm sure this shock isn't nearly as well made as the Ohlin's. Nor does it allow for rebound adjustments. But it feels like a big improvement over the stock Sachs shock. As for the height, there is no way it dropped the seat by an inch. Maybe half an inch. I was on the balls of my feet, or flat foot with my left foot with the old shock. Now I can almost flat foot with both feet. Certainly lower, but it doesn't feel like an inch. As for appearances, this is highly subjective. I do prefer the subtle black look. If the Ohlin's were available at half off, that would be my go to. But baring that, I feel like the upgrade was worth what I paid.
I hope my impressions help anyone considering this shock.

Last edited: