Wheelie/stunts

Indian91

Ryan works for Lloydz.

This isn't one of those things to destroy my warranty is it ? Lol if im not mistaken deleting the cat requires a tune ?

Indian91

Ryan works for Lloydz.

Also i just looked at their stuff it says if you have a cold idle speed of 1550 its right for you...my bike has an idle speed of 1250

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Then you have the old Indian software and can use the pv3 from them.

and yes once you delete the cat you need to tune the bike, and the warranty thing is a toss up. I tuned mine a few weeks after I bought it. Best money I’ve spent on the bike

Snakum

The Major just had me put Mav Crushers on her Scout. I'm putting a high flow airbox on it next and will take it to Lloydz for the ECU flash. That little Scout is pretty impressive already (I totally want one) so it'll be interesting to see what it does on her baby.

Blue1

I have yet to give full throttle in first gear, it will loop almost instantly...looking for gearing up a little when the chain/sprockets need replacing.

Charliemurphay

Can confirm as of tonight that with a 45t rear sprocket, it still wheelies in first just fine. It will take full throttle and isn’t as instantaneous about it though. I like the 45t.

Mckid4

I just rode my ‘22 Carbon today, stock all the way around, and couldn’t clutch up in second or third. Maybe I need some more practice, or an exhaust and tune will help, or maybe a hearing change(?) but I feel it is a bit difficult to get the front end up on this bike. I had traction control off and in sport mode. It feels as if the low end takes a second to really start coming on and revving with popping the clutch seems to just fall on its face. I am however coming from a Superduke that would come up with only throttle 1-4.

FTR London

I just rode my ‘22 Carbon today, stock all the way around, and couldn’t clutch up in second or third. Maybe I need some more practice, or an exhaust and tune will help, or maybe a hearing change(?) but I feel it is a bit difficult to get the front end up on this bike. I had traction control off and in sport mode. It feels as if the low end takes a second to really start coming on and revving with popping the clutch seems to just fall on its face. I am however coming from a Superduke that would come up with only throttle 1-4.
Prior to the Lloydz tune my '19 would effortlessly power wheelie, on some occasions unintentionally. It had a crude Dynojet tune a cat delete and the S&S slip on minus baffle - otherwise, beyond the high flow filter, completely stock. Having installed the Toce low mount and the V6 tune, it is is much better behaved and well mannered, which is a bit of a shame, but then I'll take that over the cold start issues, the very, very shit fuelling and the snatchy throttle. I can clutch it up, but off the throttle it really takes some coaxing and persuasion now - or roll off/roll on novice stuff. The power is so much smoother, linear and progressive whereas prior to this tune, a fistful of throttle in second and the the front end was immediately at 45 degrees and bolting uncontrollably upright like a virgin's cock in a brothel - and if the back brake wasn't suitably covered it would have been very easy to loop it. It's undoubtedly for the best that it has been tamed but is was fun. I need a compromise between the two.

No idea about the '22 but others will.

Mckid4

Prior to the Lloydz tune my '19 would effortlessly power wheelie, on some occasions unintentionally. It had a crude Dynojet tune a cat delete and the S&S slip on minus baffle - otherwise, beyond the high flow filter, completely stock. Having installed the Toce low mount and the V6 tune, it is is much better behaved and well mannered, which is a bit of a shame, but then I'll take that over the cold start issues, the very, very shit fuelling and the snatchy throttle. I can clutch it up, but off the throttle it really takes some coaxing and persuasion now - or roll off/roll on novice stuff. The power is so much smoother, linear and progressive whereas prior to this tune, a fistful of throttle in second and the the front end was immediately at 45 degrees and bolting uncontrollably upright like a virgin's cock in a brothel - and if the back brake wasn't suitably covered it would have been very easy to loop it. It's undoubtedly for the best that it has been tamed but is was fun. I need a compromise between the two.

No idea about the '22 but others will.
That is interesting, this ‘22 seems to be just like you’re describing yours after the V6 tune. The power is very linear and smooth. At some point I plan on getting the Toce and the Lloyds tune, hopefully it will help a bit. In the near future I may jump up two teeth on the rear sprocket and see how that feels.

FTR London

That is interesting, this ‘22 seems to be just like you’re describing yours after the V6 tune. The power is very linear and smooth. At some point I plan on getting the Toce and the Lloyds tune, hopefully it will help a bit. In the near future I may jump up two teeth on the rear sprocket and see how that feels.
Others may testify to a different experience altogether post tune and pipe. I notice little appreciable gain in peak power, but it's far more useable and amenable. The bike is so smooth after the V6 tune but far less inclined to wheelie. It can be done, but it's not as forthcoming. Remember though, as far as I am aware, I'm the only one on here running the Toce low mount on the '19 with the Version 6 bench tune but without the baffle assembly in the system. Although I'm told that it won't make much discernible difference I maintain that it will affect the back pressure and it will be sub-optimal without it. In its previous incarnation, which was also sans-baffle, the thing was possessed. It was a real challenge to ride and a complete wheelie monster - which I loved. The cold start issue and the fuelling however was very, very shit, an untenable trade-off.

Also, you've already stated that you are in sport mode (so wheelie mitigation is off) but tellingly, that you've disabled the TC - because, this can help too and also, you have a shorter wheelbase on the '22, so I'm a bit bemused. I'm sure as I say others more knowledgeable than myself will be able to shed some light on this.

Last edited:

Kredibly

Anyone here do much in the way of wheelies or stunts? Im talking about like empty parking lot stuff not down the highway lol.
Bike is kind of marketed as a wheelie monster ...I've tried get a lot of back tire chirp/slip but not much in the way of wheelies. Anyone provide any assistance? 1st? 2nd? 3rd gear?
I do plenty of wheelies on mine, obviously it's easier in sports mode. I found the easiest way to do them is throttle on a bit then quickly throttle of and lean forward to preload the forks, then just as quick lean back and throttle on in second gear. I used to just fan the clutch on my R1 but can't seem to get comfortable with doing that with the FTR clutch lever. I got some new adjustable levers coming though so I'm hoping they will remedy that issue.

FTR London

I do plenty of wheelies on mine, obviously it's easier in sports mode. I found the easiest way to do them is throttle on a bit then quickly throttle of and lean forward to preload the forks, then just as quick lean back and throttle on in second gear. I used to just fan the clutch on my R1 but can't seem to get comfortable with doing that with the FTR clutch lever. I got some new adjustable levers coming though so I'm hoping they will remedy that issue.
You'll have a job in anything but sports mode, because the wheelie mitigation will be on. Basically then, you're describing transferral/shifting of weight and the roll off/roll on technique that I was referring to, which as you know if you used to use the clutch is very crude and less controlled. If I had tried that prior to the V6 tune I would have launched the bike into the stratosphere and found myself on my arse for doing so it was that savage. Unusually, didn't need to preload the forks - all I needed to do was slide a few inches back in the seat (if at all) and a fist full of power in second - just open the throttle aggressively and ensure the rear brake lever was covered. For such a heavy bike it's amazing how willingly and rapidly it came up. Absolutely agree, aftermarket lightweight adjustable clutch levers really do help if that's your preferred (and definitely safer) method.

Mckid4

You'll have a job in anything but sports mode, because the wheelie mitigation will be on. Basically then, you're describing transferral/shifting of weight and the roll off/roll on technique that I was referring to, which as you know if you used to use the clutch is very crude and less controlled. If I had tried that prior to the V6 tune I would have launched the bike into the stratosphere and found myself on my arse for doing so it was that savage. Unusually, didn't need to preload the forks - all I needed to do was slide a few inches back in the seat (if at all) and a fist full of power in second - just open the throttle aggressively and ensure the rear brake lever was covered. For such a heavy bike it's amazing how willingly and rapidly it came up. Absolutely agree, aftermarket lightweight adjustable clutch levers really do help if that's your preferred (and definitely safer) method.
I just installed the Puig shorty levers, prior to the first ride, and still was having trouble clutching it up in second or third. But it was my first time riding the bike (new to me, but second owner). I will get some more seat time and see how it goes.

brad21

My '22 Carbon is a bitch to wheelie feathering the clutch. I was hoping with my Raximo lever upgrade that I would have a better feel for it. The same technique I use on my 2019 KTM 790 ADV just does not really work with the FTR, unless I'm going slightly uphill... I'm in sport mode and have turned TC off too. Suggestions? I want to keep it mostly stock, but I did pull the corks out of the pipes...

Mckid4

My '22 Carbon is a bitch to wheelie feathering the clutch. I was hoping with my Raximo lever upgrade that I would have a better feel for it. The same technique I use on my 2019 KTM 790 ADV just does not really work with the FTR, unless I'm going slightly uphill... I'm in sport mode and have turned TC off too. Suggestions? I want to keep it mostly stock, but I did pull the corks out of the pipes...
Glad I’m not the only one with this “issue”.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yeah the 22s and their power curve make it really weird to wheelie. Compared to the 19s. Really have to be deliberate about it.

Notaharley

FWIW, I have the newest tune from Indian and I have NO trouble lifting the front wheel with throttle only, and I'm not jerking the throttle or "sliding back" in the seat.
I have to be easy on it. It will lift right up just leaving a red light if I give it a fistful.

Seems very linear, to me, and I've been very happy with the tune.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It’s still a little different on the 22s. Than the ah2 update on the 19s. As the engine characteristics and fueling are changed to be smoother, with a dip in the mid range.

Mckid4

For those more experienced with this bike than I am, when having TC off and in sport mode do both of the TC lights illuminate? I see on mine when doing so, sport mode and traction control off, there is a TC light and another below with a line through it. I am assuming this is normal?

Attachments

• CA59B061-EED8-4AA7-8129-D7B645C02DEE.jpeg
    CA59B061-EED8-4AA7-8129-D7B645C02DEE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14