2022 love it but surging!

Staedtler

My Husky can do that too, but what it basically does it flush the long term trim tables and "relearn" the necessary trims. All modern ECU's do that, the FTR too. It does not adjust to drastic intake and/or exhaust adjustments. The "what'a good" is defined in the tune.

If you seriously change the exhaust on your Triumph (header, remove/add crossover tubes) you will need to tune. There is no magic...
So the FTR ecu does adapt? Now I’m confused. When I suggested it did adapt and drew a parallel to the gearbox in my car, I got a “But no”.

D

Deleted member 429

Its disappointing to hear that this has not been sorted for the new bike when it was claimed it was...My 19 has all the issues that I'd expected it to have apart from some additional niceties like stalling/cutting out when changing gears...a little burp surge when changing down causing it to briefly accelerate when braking and the usual cutting out while warming up, surging and rough running...I'm in the UK and have made contact with Indian, Polaris tech support in Warwickshire, the seller and local Indian dealer and also spoken with a UK regulatory body. If anyone has some of the more serious issues has anyone managed to get a good fix from a dealer or what support did you get for an external tune or fix..
I still love the bike...I would just like a little more of the simple things in life like starting and running :)

Max Kool

So the FTR ecu does adapt? Now I’m confused. When I suggested it did adapt and drew a parallel to the gearbox in my car, I got a “But no”.
It adapts yes (trim tables) to correct for temperature, barometric pressure, and even for worn or dirty injectors. It does NOT learn how you ride.

Romerican

Update. Spoke with Indian rep before I brought it in for the 500 mile service. Told him i was still having same issue... He said they have a new calibration that will hopefully fix it.

Got service done and apparently they updated the ecu. Unfortunately I'm still having the same problem. Around 3500 RPM specifically it will not hold a good steady throttle. It'll lightly rock back and forth. It's especially noticeable with cruise on. And sometimes it does it in other RPM ranges...

The new calibration did seem to give me a noticeable power upgrade according to my butt dyno, but it hasn't solved the initial problem. The bike is just not enjoyable to ride at a constant speed at some rpms... I feel like it's a throttle position sensor issue or an issue with the computer reading it. I dunno.

Indian tech guy has been great and checking up, I missed his call and will need to call him back again today. But this is quite disappointing after spending 15k on a bike.

Will update again soon.

FTRRCv2

Why are you trying to ride at such a low rpm? This is a performance tuned engine, downshift a gear and it will be fine. It’s not a cruiser. Mine is less stable around that range as well, it acts just like my Ducati did, it also didn’t like to be below 4K. I did notice it more when cold. I will make more notes of when it happens once I get it back from service, I have 600miles on it currently.

Max Kool

The FTR has no problem running around 3500 rpm. Or actually shouldn't have. You're not lugging it at that rpm (in fact, the 2019 ran better around 3500 on a steady throttle in fourth, than around 5000 rpm in third, more surging).

3500rpm is not low on the FTR...

FTRRCv2

Well, maybe the longer ratios due to the sprocket change make it more sensitive to it, but it acts similar to my last bike so I don’t notice it. I do remember trying the cruise at 6th around 3500 and it seemed fine.

FTRRCv2

The FTR has no problem running around 3500 rpm. Or actually shouldn't have. You're not lugging it at that rpm (in fact, the 2019 ran better around 3500 on a steady throttle in fourth, than around 5000 rpm in third, more surging).

3500rpm is not low on the FTR...
That seems really odd that’s it’s different in different gears.

Romerican

Why are you trying to ride at such a low rpm? This is a performance tuned engine, downshift a gear and it will be fine. It’s not a cruiser. Mine is less stable around that range as well, it acts just like my Ducati did, it also didn’t like to be below 4K. I did notice it more when cold. I will make more notes of when it happens once I get it back from service, I have 600miles on it currently.
Well I'm shifting per Indians own recommendations in their manual. 3,500rpm should not be a problem on a 2022 15k bike.... and if I'm going 75mph and set the cruise I expect a smooth ride, not for it to rock me to sleep.

edgelett

if you're riding through twisties, particularly very tight corners, it's not unusual to be sitting between 3000-4000 rpm frequently.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Well, maybe the longer ratios due to the sprocket change make it more sensitive to it, but it acts similar to my last bike so I don’t notice it. I do remember trying the cruise at 6th around 3500 and it seemed fine.
Being you’re the 17in wheel. The 45t sprocket is almost the same ratio as a the 49t sprocket with the 18in wheel.

but im running a 45t with the 18in wheel and still Experience no issues.

a good tune fixes all things

Rally

Update. Spoke with Indian rep before I brought it in for the 500 mile service. Told him i was still having same issue... He said they have a new calibration that will hopefully fix it.

Got service done and apparently they updated the ecu. Unfortunately I'm still having the same problem. Around 3500 RPM specifically it will not hold a good steady throttle. It'll lightly rock back and forth. It's especially noticeable with cruise on. And sometimes it does it in other RPM ranges...

The new calibration did seem to give me a noticeable power upgrade according to my butt dyno, but it hasn't solved the initial problem. The bike is just not enjoyable to ride at a constant speed at some rpms... I feel like it's a throttle position sensor issue or an issue with the computer reading it. I dunno.

Indian tech guy has been great and checking up, I missed his call and will need to call him back again today. But this is quite disappointing after spending 15k on a bike.

Will update again soon.
I've noticed the cruise is super sensitive to any bumps in the road. And I mean ANY bumps in the road.

Anything other than smooth pavement, and the cruise will cut out and come back on its own, which makes the bike fall on its face then race back to life.

Might describe why it feels worse with cruise on.

Mine is a 2022 also.

Snakum

I'm glad I told the Polaris Customer Disservice rep "No thanks" when he suggested I take it back to my local techs to see if they could get me the latest super secret map. I'm pretty sure it would have been the map used on the 22s and wouldn't have done anything to fix the issues.

Hopefully Lloyds will have a flash for the 22s soon.

FTRRCv2

I've noticed the cruise is super sensitive to any bumps in the road. And I mean ANY bumps in the road.

Anything other than smooth pavement, and the cruise will cut out and come back on its own, which makes the bike fall on its face then race back to life.

Might describe why it feels worse with cruise on.

Mine is a 2022 also.
Yes, mine does that on a stretch of road that the seams are rough. This is the first bike that has not kicked off and stayed off. I wonder if turning of traction control would fix that?