2022 love it but surging!

SC-FTRS

I Test rode both 19 and 22 when I brought mine last month. My dealer (Daytona) had demo 22s for Bike week. Albeit a small ride I found the 22s to be smoother. I don't know if Indian tunes their demo bikes.

Max Kool

I don’t believe that either, short term trims are pretty much instantaneously. Start it, ride it and it should be good.

Romerican

That is right. Did not think of that.
The fueling being electronic with set rpms, how does it get better with more miles?
Their excuse was because it's fly by wire it has to learn where open and close is.... I'm like ok, sure. Indians gonna be paying for my first service and then some when it turns out that's not the case.

DeplorableOne

Bad gas? The only time I've had a surging issue was when I nearly ran out and the only thing available was 85. I put a gallon in and it ran like shit. But ran just fine once I got has at my usual station IDK the 22 I rode was about the same as my 19 maybe a little smoother, I figured it was the tires

Romerican

That really what they told you? Djeeez
That's what the indian techs told the rep at the dealer to tell me... lol like really, even if, how did you build such a slow learning bike. Bs anyway cuz I haven't heard of this issue in any reviews. I think they changed the mapping.

DeplorableOne

That's what the indian techs told the rep at the dealer to tell me... lol like really, even if, how did you build such a slow learning bike. Bs anyway cuz I haven't heard of this issue in any reviews. I think they changed the mapping.
I almost wonder if it's a QC issue. Since the same maps on the same bike should all have the same issue. Makes you wanna look at outside interactions; fuel, heat, etc. Really sucks that it seems this only happens on some bikes. I just noticed in any ride mode other than sport and race it seems to be a little sluggish and kinda surges, but more like a delay in accelerating then it'll accelerate before flat spotting for a second. It's hard to explain. I just keep my bike in sport mode.

Max Kool

I think there was something wrong. A motorcycle does not need hundred(s) of miles to learn the fly by wire throttle.... It's a fixed programmed table for each gear, in each rider mode.

Romerican

I almost wonder if it's a QC issue. Since the same maps on the same bike should all have the same issue. Makes you wanna look at outside interactions; fuel, heat, etc. Really sucks that it seems this only happens on some bikes. I just noticed in any ride mode other than sport and race it seems to be a little sluggish and kinda surges, but more like a delay in accelerating then it'll accelerate before flat spotting for a second. It's hard to explain. I just keep my bike in sport mode.
Yeh I dunno. I'll play along for now. Though I think I've found the solution... always be accelerating! Not hard on this bike!! Except for when you need to slow down. Lol it's such a beast.

Staedtler

The gearbox on my car is ‘adaptive’, learns your driving style. Pussy foot around and it’s slower to change down and less likely to do so. Give it the beans and it is much more reactive. There’s even a gearbox reset procedure to factory so it can learn all over again. Not saying FTR is fully like that, but adaptations do take a while..

Mlazarus

My triumph has a self learning ECU. After I changed exhaust and intake I let the bike idle for a period of time and it sensed the new fueling and exhaust. My FTR was actually pretty decent right from the factory with the A2H mapping. No cold start/idle problems and a satisfactory throttle response. It wasn't until after I changed exhaust did I tune the ECU. And it makes a huge difference. I guess Indian could only do so much with EPA and EU compliance. I was under the impression Indian cracked the code for 2022. Every other bike maker seems to be able to produce decent fuel mapping. Why couldn't Indian with the FTR?

Staedtler

My triumph has a self learning ECU. After I changed exhaust and intake I let the bike idle for a period of time and it sensed the new fueling and exhaust. My FTR was actually pretty decent right from the factory with the A2H mapping. No cold start/idle problems and a satisfactory throttle response. It wasn't until after I changed exhaust did I tune the ECU. And it makes a huge difference. I guess Indian could only do so much with EPA and EU compliance. I was under the impression Indian cracked the code for 2022. Every other bike maker seems to be able to produce decent fuel mapping. Why couldn't Indian with the FTR?
My Triumph adapts too, seems FTR’s adapting is just an incorrect rumour spread by Indian technicians.

Max Kool

My triumph has a self learning ECU. After I changed exhaust and intake I let the bike idle for a period of time and it sensed the new fueling and exhaust.
My Husky can do that too, but what it basically does it flush the long term trim tables and "relearn" the necessary trims. All modern ECU's do that, the FTR too. It does not adjust to drastic intake and/or exhaust adjustments. The "what'a good" is defined in the tune.

If you seriously change the exhaust on your Triumph (header, remove/add crossover tubes) you will need to tune. There is no magic...

Wayne

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing what just about every owner on this site has been going through. I finally got mine running perfectly or I should say Ryan's bench tune did. I have over a thousand in tunes but that last bench tune did the trick. I'm happy since I got it new discounted more than what it cost me to fix it. I also love the fact that I was able to easily replace the entire exhaust something that will be a challenge on the '22. You do have the 17" wheels which I don't think will be realistic on the '19 but I'm good with the seat height and handling as it is. I just want a little better tires since mine may see an occasion dirt road but that's it. I have purpose built KTM for the real off road work. I don't buy the excuse to let the ECU learn. The Indian ECU does not have any artificial intelligence built in. I imagine after 300 miles you'll see the same issues unfortuenaly.